The good news is, she can't have babies.

One of my favourite lines - it sounds so dark how Matt delivers it.

I'm not hating on the OoS lyrics at all, it's my favourite Muse album for lyrics. But they are nonsensical :LOL:. In a completely scatterbrained sense.

They don't really come across as random words to me at least. Really odd lyrics but I do always get the impression there's some meaning in there, even if maybe a simple meaning that's highly encrypted. But I'm ok with that.

I much prefer that over the far too literal lyrics of the past few releases.

Exactly what I wanted to say. Just compare Survival with New Born and pick your choice just based on lyrics. Since English is not my native language I could be the odd one out, but something tells me that everybody like nonsensical lyrics over 'how to say "I'm the best" in 10 different ways covered by 4 minutes of pretty good music". The less you understand the lyrics, the better I hear the genius of their music.

I think, even with stranger, more oblique lyrics or a "younger" sound, the new album won't hark back to previous stuff that much. Matt's vocal delivery has got noticeably more operatic and dramatic in style from TR onwards and I'm not sure that can really be reversed.

Also, getting a producer on board would be a good thing as far as sounding rawer/OLDSKOOLMEWZ goes. While there have been some successful post-BH&R bouts of heaviness (MK Ultra post-chorus, parts of Supremacy), there's been more that's ended up far less powerful and beefy than they could have been (Animals and Unnatural Selection outros, all of Liquid State). As it looks like they're going to self-produce again, that could mean an unexpected sound that isn't really similar to before.

Exactly what I wanted to say. Just compare Survival with New Born and pick your choice just based on lyrics. Since English is not my native language I could be the odd one out, but something tells me that everybody like nonsensical lyrics over 'how to say "I'm the best" in 10 different ways covered by 4 minutes of pretty good music". The less you understand the lyrics, the better I hear the genius of their music.

I do agree, I'd have to say that T2L was probably their worst album for lyrics.

One of my favourite lines - it sounds so dark how Matt delivers it.

I'm not hating on the OoS lyrics at all, it's my favourite Muse album for lyrics. But they are nonsensical :LOL:. In a completely scatterbrained sense.

Every single lyric in Megalomania is gold.

I miss the artistic direction of early Muse. If you look at the OoS inserts, some of the artwork they commissioned for the cover is phenomenal, and of course the album is full of sick twisted lyrical gems. It wasn't nonsense though; the album and every song on it had meaning, something to say.

Nowadays the "direction" is neuroimaging juxtaposed with lyrics about #winning and how the media is making kids nasty. What we have right now is nonsense.

11:27 :LOL:

Bless Matt :LOL:

And on the discussion of lyrics, Origin is my favourite Muse album, but while the lyrics at times were pretty fantastic (Bliss, some of New Borns lyrics, Megalomania, Screenager) you have to agree some were completely nonsensical (Micro Cuts, half of Plug in Baby, "H8") :LOL:

I thought I remembered Matt explaining some of the more "nonsense" stuff, like the H8, and it actually making sense after that... I might need to do some fact checking, but I thought it was something along the lines of H8 being a type of controller "brain" used in robots and computers, and the analogy was needing to shut down the emotional parts of the brain to deal with the situation.

I've drank a lot in the intervening years, but I don't think that's something I'd dream up on my own...

I dunno, I liked it, and it fit with the technology theme of a lot of the songs of that era.

And I'd always interpreted PiB as being about his guitar, at least the album lyrics, not the early ones about virtual reality.

New Born's "birth squeeze" makes me cringe, though.

And Abso was still influenced by politics, but was also when he started making lyrics more generic and "relatable."

I thought it was something along the lines of H8 being a type of controller "brain" used in robots and computers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H8_Family

And I'd always interpreted PiB as being about his guitar, at least the album lyrics, not the early ones about virtual reality.

It's another perspective on the consequences of musicianship, like Showbiz and SFA. Consider the album's main theme, which I feel regards itself with both the innovation of technology and the integration of such into our lifestyles, at once redefining what constitutes "balance" and providing us with previously unheard of capabilities. Basically technology allows us to play god.

Matt's "Plug In Baby" allows him to escape from reality, to become a god and be practically worshipped as such while he rocks out either on stage or in the studio. I'd say that is why he can never seem to remember what the song's about; it's pretty much taking the piss out of his fans.

Yeah. I think he's kind of like Trent Reznor in that regard- they're best when they're dealing mostly in vague metaphors.

Trent's lyrics are SO literal though :LOL:.

Matt post-Absolution just feel half-baked. A couple of minutes research combined with a life-time of ignorance (the same ignorance we all share for 99.99% of all topics).

BH&R has plenty of brilliant lyrics as well. Even if it steps away from philosophical constructs and towards sociopolitical statements, I feel like it strikes the sweet spot between conceptualisation and personalisation.

For me it was TR when Matt's writing quality suddenly declined. Notably when he started regularly singing from the perspective of "we" and leading revolutionary change against beings that fall somewhere on the existential spectrum between "conveniently misrepresented evil" and "totalitarian fiction".

BH&R has plenty of brilliant lyrics as well.

Even if the lyrics are good they still stem from his ridiculous conspiracy theories and he's not actually saying anything of value. I mean I think Immortal Technique's lyrics are brilliantly written too but he spends his time going on about how 9/11 is an inside-job and shit.

Matt has managed to touch on a couple of real issues in the world but most of his later lyrics from BHAR onwards just come out of having a bit of knowledge about vastly complicated things and then writing lyrics which perfectly display the Dunning–Kruger effect.

Archived