That's not shaky really. It's just avoiding chest-voice in an acceptable way. I've heard way worse for that note, but can't remember any specific examples right now.

I've heard him do a thin mixed voice A4 actually. Here:

No wait, might have been a Bb4, can't remember or check now.

EDIT: Goddamn that scream at 1.15 sounded weeeird. Not sure if it's overtones. 2.30 is the note anyway :LOL:

Wat, how is that even a comparison? :LOL: Matt doesn't even attempt it. And Chris DOES sound a bit shaky during that performance, just not at that timestamp. Check out 2.58 for example.

Chris sounds fantastic at 2:58 :erm:

As for the Rock am Ring one, if we're confusing the words 'weak' and 'shaky', then... :p

Also regarding Follow Me, he hits a nice Bb4 which completely takes out his voice for the easiest vocal part of the song that follows :LOL:

And that's where I stopped paying attention :LOL:

What? I really don't hear anything wrong with it. I guess there's a little thingummy (there's probably a technical term for it but tbh all my vocal knowledge comes from you) when he changes to the highest note, but it's barely noticeable and Matt does them all the time.

'When your heart

Is brea...heeaaa...king'

for example.

Listening to Angel Dust by Faith No More and NIN's The Fragile, I was thinking that has the kind of cinematic flourishes that I'd like to see Muse add. Ditto "Red City" by Stone Sour.

The latter made me think of the kind of heavy piano song I'd like to hear Muse make (albeit minus the doom-metal bridge, which could have been on Slipknot's second album).

Obviously, when you listen to Angel Dust it makes Muse look like Keane. (On another note, how about a heavy funky track?)

I really can't be bothered with links atm but you really shouldn't be able to dispute that Chris' high notes are shaky a lot of the time. He often gets shaky and cracks on the Bb4 in Dead Star. He DOES crack on the SBE gig, he just recovers instantly, unlike for example the 2010 gig in Asia.

And he sounds too thin on Liquid State live.

I think he sounded phenomenal on the most recent American gigs (going on audience recordings). I'd say having him do lead vocals has helped his vocals quite a bit.

Dead Star and supermassive aren't really 3-piece tracks.

Really Fabri?

Dead Star - Bass, Guitar (Keyboard in verses) & Drums, thoughout. nothing over complicated.

Supermassive - Bass, Guitar, laden with effects for solo & Drums, throughout. Backing vocals over used but not to the Big Freeze extent, additional percussion isn't stepping the OMG needs synth and 2 guitars at once boundary.

I've heard him do a thin mixed voice A4 actually. Here:

No wait, might have been a Bb4, can't remember or check now.

EDIT: Goddamn that scream at 1.15 sounded weeeird. Not sure if it's overtones. 2.30 is the note anyway :LOL:

So hey I let a friend of mine who's better at pitching check that out and apparently it's a F#6(hard to tell though)

Nice new highest note, Matt.

Archived