Mk Ultra

There's little synthesizer work to begin with though.

But I do think it could've used more power in the studio version.

But more power =/= dropping synths

Forced In is so good.

:yesey:

Muse should try to make something post-rock-ish for the new album.

I reckon a 2-3 years hiatus/pause might be good for them.

I don't want a single song that has a structure of Verse - Chorus - Verse - Chorus - Bridge - Chorus.

Frankly though, this is most Muse songs and they've never been too experimental with structure. Actually their later stuff seems to divert from it more than the earlier.

I don't want a single song that has a structure of Verse - Chorus - Verse - Chorus - Bridge - Chorus. I don't want a single cheesy or obvious chorus at all. I don't want polished, radio perfect production.

Funny thing is, Muse could create the most ambitious and fresh-sounding album of the 21st century using that method (yeah, they wouldn't/couldn't, but still), and would face the biggest "copying Radiohead" allegations of their careers just by rejecting commercial appeal in exchange of experimental ambition.

But yeah, I like obvious choruses so I'm not completely on board with this, although I'd welcome those elements in the next album.

They should get Trent Reznor and Justice to produce their next album

it's been a long time since I said it

Or both.

I definitely think a producer would give the next album a more cohesive sound.

I hope you expected the cat paw vs hand-gif :3

Or both.

I definitely think a producer would give the next album a more cohesive sound.

I hope you expected the cat paw vs hand-gif :3

I said "and", not "or".

Having a producer =/= good thing, though. Not always.

Having a good producer instead :yesey:

Nope

To be honest, I want to see them do some jazz or industrial, maybe a double album or even longer. they could do an entirely instrumental album if they wanted like nine inch nails did with ghosts I-IV, but I would love to hear them do something like that, also maybe use some different modes for the scales or do something in ridiculous time signature like 13/8 with key changes. or just prog rock.

Wouldn't mind:

--More clarinets

--Full orchestra bits, like Exogenesis but with brass and woodwind sections added in

--Madness-like basslines, but for more exciting songs (I love Madness but it is rather calm)

--More Unsustainable-like songs, maybe not claiming energy can be destroyed while quoting 2nd law of thermodynamics though

--More shows with the orchestra

--Something Deadmau5-y

--More Radiohead-y stuff

--More Absolution-like piano parts

--Dom writing a song (maybe not singing though)

Also, I remember reading somewhere that Matt said if he were to write a musical, it'd be about a lonely space ranger who... and I don't really remember the rest, but I remember that whatever it was, it left me thinking, Congrats, Matt, you've just described the Doctor. But it got me thinking, what if he/Muse worked together with Steven Moffat or one of the other writers for Doctor Who and made a Doctor Who musical? (To be honest, I'm not too sure what I think of the idea myself but it sounds interesting.) Like, I would pay money to see that. Even if it sucked. Just because it's Doctor Who and Muse.

Just a thought.

I'd like some more electronic stuff, mixed in with melodies and with a bit of a creepy/haunting vibe to it. Along the lines of TAB/Glorious/Map/Endlessly/MK Ultra/Easily.

I don't want crappy electronic stuff like UD and Madness. They are just completely misguided attempts at "stripping back". It's as if they thought "Stripping back? Hmm....it should probably be slow and really boring then".

a bit of a creepy/haunting vibe to it.

This is actually what I think was missing from some of The 2nd Law. Only electronic track that I'd say has that is Isolated System, and it came out very well as a result.

While I still enjoy the other more electronic songs from T2L, I wouldn't be too crazy about an entire new album full of it.

Also, on a separate note, I would much much rather have a classical influence for the orchestral elements like they used to than a film score influence.

This is actually what I think was missing from some of The 2nd Law. Only electronic track that I'd say has that is Isolated System, and it came out very well as a result.

While I still enjoy the other more electronic songs from T2L, I wouldn't be too crazy about an entire new album full of it.

Also, on a separate note, I would much much rather have a classical influence for the orchestral elements like they used to than a film score influence.

Oh yeah, forgot to add IS to my post. I feel like IS was a step in the right direction. It has all the elements I mentioned.

I think Muse need to stick to maybe two/three genres that they're good at and just make an album with that.

Also, I remember reading somewhere that Matt said if he were to write a musical, it'd be about a lonely space ranger who... and I don't really remember the rest, but I remember that whatever it was, it left me thinking, Congrats, Matt, you've just described the Doctor.

Not really. Also, I think you might be thinking about his 'story' behind Exogenesis there.

But it got me thinking, what if he/Muse worked together with Steven Moffat or one of the other writers for Doctor Who and made a Doctor Who musical?

Then Doctor Who would reach new levels of shit.

Anyway, directions I'd like them to go in:

- Have a more consistent sound/genre throughout the album, not necessarily restricted to just one but just not all over the place.

- Less U2/Bono.

- No more 'fully electronic' (don't really know what to call it) songs like Follow Me. I like Follow Me but I'd rather they left it at that. Less prominent electronic stuff like what's in Isolated System (that they've done in the past a bit as well) is good though, quite like that.

- More songs like Animals, being more stripped back.

- More songs influenced from styles from other countries (e.g. Assassin, Animals, USOE piano riff after chorus etc.)

Archived