Does Endlessly sound like Stockholm Syndrome?

The difference in the context of the whole album, however, is far less pronounced than the divide between Unsustainable, Survival and Panic Station, for example.

The difference in the context of the whole album, however, is far less pronounced than the divide between Unsustainable, Survival and Panic Station, for example.

Oh yes that's for sure. My point is that the last really cohesive album they've done is OoS. Since Abso they started widening their sound.

Oh yes that's for sure. My point is that the last really cohesive album they've done is OoS. Since Abso they started widening their sound.

Aye, can't disagree with that - although I find Absolution almost as cohesive due to the thematic elements of the album and tbh, the electronic tinges are pretty limited and actually add a huge amount.

The thing is, if a producer told them something they wouldn't like, they just would ignore him.

Depends on the producer... if it was someone they had a lot of respect for, they'd listen.

I think Abso is just as cohesive, or at least very close. It has a really similar vibe all the way through

Abso DOES have some cohersive moments like SS, Hysteria, TIRO, AP, SFA, B&H, Blackout and RBS, but then songs like TOADA, Endlessly and TSP stand out as a bit different.

True, I remember thinking TOADA sounded very different to the rest when I first heard Abso. But then, when I compare Abso's contrasting tracks to TR or T2L's, the later albums are waaaayyyy more obvious. Follow Me and Survival/Supremacy, Explorers and Unsustainable, it's ridiculous. And jarring too

I care more about the actual quality of the songs rather than cohesiveness.

Of course if the songs are good and the album is cohesive, that's a plus

I've found that that's not the case for me. Sure I will still enjoy the songs and all that, but I am FAR less likely to return to the album, and to have any feelings towards the album in general.

I've found that that's not the case for me. Sure I will still enjoy the songs and all that, but I am FAR less likely to return to the album, and to have any feelings towards the album in general.

T2L is the only Muse album that has this problem so far imo.

Albums like TR and BHAR had diversity and sometimes a lacking flow,

but it wasn't much of a problem, because they actually had a satisfying and cohesive end.

BHAR: CoD-Hoodoo-KoC

TR: Exogenesis

T2L: Liquid State-Save Me-Unsustainable-IS

T2L is just mess from start to the end. (a quite entertaining mess to be fair)

my theory is Muse hate to do the same thing twice.

UD = Madness

GL = Big Freeze

And if you wanna go even further.... MK Ultra = Liquid State.

They have done I completely uncohesive album so hopefully they will decide to do the total opposite on the next one. Also you really can't make a song more bombastic and ridiculous than survival so perhaps after 5 years of lies Matt will actually write some acoustic stuff :LOL:

TR and T2L are both the same. Bombastic, over the top, ridiculous and completely incoherent. Except T2L does it with better songs (for the most part).

I care more about the actual quality of the songs rather than cohesiveness.

Of course if the songs are good and the album is cohesive, that's a plus

Opposite for me. An album and thus its songs are made and broken by how well the album works as a complete piece.

I don't think OoS is Muse's 11 best songs, but as a collection of 11 songs, it is easily their most powerful bunch of songs.

Also, if an album isn't cohesive, doesn't flow or is too eclectic, it dramatically reduces how often I come back to it.

Hence, MK Ultra is easily one of my favourite Muse songs but I rarely listen to it because I can't get through TR.

Opposite for me. An album and thus its songs are made and broken by how well the album works as a complete piece.

I don't think OoS is Muse's 11 best songs, but as a collection of 11 songs, it is easily their most powerful bunch of songs.

Also, if an album isn't cohesive, doesn't flow or is too eclectic, it dramatically reduces how often I come back to it.

Hence, MK Ultra is easily one of my favourite Muse songs but I rarely listen to it because I can't get through TR.

My point is that a cohesive album with shit songs remains an album with shit songs. While an un-cohesive album with great songs is still an album with great songs.

My point is that a cohesive album with shit songs remains an album with shit songs. While an un-cohesive album with great songs is still an album with great songs.

Yes, I don't disagree with that at all.

But the overwhelming majority of albums I listen to fall into a middleground where for every truly magnificent song there is, there is one of lesser quality.

Very few albums are 10/10 so I find the way an album binds together as a whole to be really important.

I rarely listen to music on random these days as I barely get the time to even listen to any at all so albums have become more of an event than they used to be. I got Exodus by Bob Marley earlier and it was a joy to just let that wash over me as a whole :happy:.

I think Muse have gotten to a stage where they almost don't know what to do with themselves. They want to keep making music and working but they aren't quite sure what. They try a bit of this and a bit of that but nothing seems sustainable (no pun intended).

They'll probably do some more experimentation on the next album, do a small tour and then go on hiatus for a year or 2.

But, you know, thats just, like, my opinion, and stuff.

TR and T2L are both the same. Bombastic, over the top, ridiculous and completely incoherent. Except T2L does it with better songs (for the most part).

I agree with the first bit completly, but no way does T2L have better songs (other than maybe Animals and Madness)

I agree with the first bit completly, but no way does T2L have better songs (other than maybe Animals and Madness)

I dunno about that... something about TR just feels a bit off to me, apart from MK U and Exo... I get that less with T2L :erm:

UD = Madness

GL = Big Freeze

And if you wanna go even further.... MK Ultra = Liquid State.

Involving a different album here, but I've always felt

Invincible = GL

Songs start of slow, build to an extended guitar solo, then end.

I want them to take a risk and pick one approach to run with. After T2L, I am tired of bouncing back and forth with tone. Give me an album of rock/electronic, or accoustic/strings, or piano and armpit farts just let it sound cohesive.

I think Muse have gotten to a stage where they almost don't know what to do with themselves. They want to keep making music and working but they aren't quite sure what. They try a bit of this and a bit of that but nothing seems sustainable (no pun intended).

They'll probably do some more experimentation on the next album, do a small tour and then go on hiatus for a year or 2.

But, you know, thats just, like, my opinion, and stuff.

Muse? Do a SMALL tour? :LOL::p

Archived