Do you like Unsustainable?  

704 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Unsustainable?

• Yup
    • Nope
    • It's alright

At the same time, though, Unsustainable is the first part of a two-parter, right? So it makes sense if it was just building to something else, I guess.

I kinda agree with you. Maybe Isolated System is just a massive riff of a song?

i'm too optimistic

Having listened to it for a total of three times now, I do like it, but I think it seems to be a track that will work better in the context of the album than as a song by itself. I'll definitely d/l a fan remix with the woman's commentary edited out it (if her part is on the album) if such a remix ever gets posted on Muselive, I don't care for that part at all. Since Matt's vocals are much more effective than the talking, why have the talking at all?

Doing those effects on umm, non-computer instruments, is indeed impressive.

I'll echo the film soundtrack comments, the same goes for Prelude. Not sure if that is a good thing. I mean, as much as I love the LotR soundtracks and all, it's not like I listen to them in the same way as rock or other popular music. Subtle such music is not, but when has Muse ever been subtle (save for some Showbiz tracks and other odd moments)?

At least Matt will have a career waiting for him after Muse ;)

I kinda agree with you. Maybe Isolated System is just a massive riff of a song?

SPOILERS FROM TRACK BY TRACK REVIEW BELOW

"Isolated system.

Begins very calm. No singing at all, main part is piano. Ends with the voice of a woman in a loop"

sounds a little like a vocal-less exogenesis redemption?

I know I'm in the minorty, but I quite like the reporter voice. She sounds robotic herself which adds a creepiness to what she's saying. If I didn't know better, I would say that the song is about the machines rising up and killing the humans ("The humans are dead. We used poisonous gases and we poisoned their asses.") because the human species was unsustainable.

Also, I love the instrumentation. Matt's guitar sounds pretty much like it does when he's faffing about with it in concert and Dom's drumming is more exciting than most of his work on TR.

+1

And of course they'll play this live. That is one of the points of the whole thing - to do a song like this and be able to play it live.

I think it's actually pretty ballsy of the band to put an instrumental track on the album (Matt's voice going "whoaaaaaaaa-ooooooooo" isn't lyrics) since the only instrumentals in the past have been B-sides.

If putting instrumentals on an album is ballsy, then I have to say Muse have been playing it so safe up til now that even my grandmother would approve.

Archived