The Now Show (Radio 4 programme)

scifigeekgirl

Following on from my post about Mitch Benn raving about Muse and Survival on Twitter:

[spoiler=MITCH BENN TWEETS]

Didn't quite know where to put this. It's from Mitch Ben's twitter account. MB is a comedy bloke who writes damn good funny tunes. Appears on the radio 4 prog the Now Show. Anyway: this is a collection of his tweets about Survival. I think they're pretty spot on, meself :D

(ps they're in reverse order - most recent at the top)

@MitchBenn

@LFBarfe It took me a while to get the hang but now I think they're fucking fabulous. Just how much of a shit they don't give is admirable.

@MitchBenn

If you play Muse's Olympics single backwards you can hear the ghost of Freddie Mercury saying "I say, steady on..."

‏@MitchBenn

FUCK YES RT @enwill: @MitchBenn If Britain actually wins anything here’s hoping they accidentally play it instead of God Save the Queen.

@MitchBenn

HERE IT IS Brace yourselves http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66molz

@MitchBenn

@mervynwhite It's brilliant. And ridiculous.

‏@MitchBenn

@lath8ury IT'S FUCKING ACES

@MitchBenn

I mean @jonholmes1 is right, it sounds less like The Official Single Of The Olympics than The Official Single Of The End Of The World...

@MitchBenn

The guitar sounds like Satan's motorbike and the drums are like slamming your head in a fridge! Who produced it, Michael Bay? WAGNER?

@MitchBenn

And it's Muse. MUSE. What was everyone expecting, One Moment In Fucking Time? They can all suck my (and by extension their) balls...

@MitchBenn

I can't believe this got selected by the IOC. Did anyone sign off on it? Or are they still unconscious with blood pissing out their ears?

@MitchBenn

It's like a frenzied threeway between Kashmir, We Are The Champions and Carmina Burana! WHAT'S NOT TO LIKE ?!?!

@MitchBenn

Ok so I've now HEARD Muse's Olympics single and you can all piss off cos it's FANTASTIC.

*ends*

BRILLIANT. :LOL:

There was a great piece on the actual programme The Now Show - they went a bit mad over Muse. Especially one of the regulars Jon Holmes, who did a brilliant shouty slot. :D:LOL: Anyway, whole show is up on BBC iplayer - def worth a listen

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01kbm11/The_Now_Show_Series_37_Episode_5/

Not sure how long it'll stay there, as it was orig broadcast yesterday 6th July - I've just listened to the repeat broadcast.

Looks like people are Getting It...:p:D

I had to transcribe this for everyone that doesn't want to download the podcast.

So let's listen to a bit of that introduction music again. ♪AND I'M GONNA WIIIIIIIIIIIIIN♪Now, in case you don't recognize this, ok, this is the epically proportioned cacophony of enormous noise, alright? What it isn't, you might think, is the sound of an orchestra falling down some stairs, but what it is is the official single of the Olympics. Alright, this is called Survival. It's the work of the band Muse, three men from Devon who think if a job's worth doing, then it's worth throwing a hand grenade into a music cupboard and recording the results. And it also helps if you've got the holy chorus of angels on speed dial and taken the bold decision to eschew the sound of a drum kit and replace it with the noise of a rhino knocking a wall down!

And relax. I think that what's happened there, right, is the band from Devon—they've only recently discovered electricity—so they've sort of gone overboard on this stuff and are audibly binging on this stuffing sound into our ears like a fatty gorging on a music pie. But, get used to that noise, alright. Get used to it because as the official sound of the Olympics, it's going to be played, quote, "Whenever the athletes enter the stadium, in the lead up to the medal ceremony, and it will be the theme for all international TV coverage."

And it's this, right, this. It's like listening to a war, right? A sonic burst like Satan himself has burped, and has it amplified throughout the earth's core, and it's all you'll hear for two Olympic weeks, but it's just too epic. It's the very epitome of a song where your dad comes into your bedroom and shouts, "Turn it down! This noise is ridiculous! You can't even understand the words! This song is simply too big."

And he's right! It's too big for the olympics; it's far too massive for anyone or anything made of lycra. This is wasted on the entrance of athletes, boring old athletes. It belongs in a stadium, yeah. But a stadium where legions of marching 12-foot-tall robots with laser fists, whatever laser fists are, come screeching down from the sky in flaming chariots or wings of devestation. This is a song I want to hear when the world ends! When the sun melts! And the seas boil! And the mountains crack! And the very sky's torn asunder! This is the last thing I want to hear in my dying ears as mankind plunges into the abyss and is lost in the morgue of his own destruction!

A bit overly dramatic? :LOL: But anyway, sound like we're gonna end up hearing the song a lot.

I had to transcribe this for everyone that doesn't want to download the podcast.

So let's listen to a bit of that introduction music again. ♪AND I'M GONNA WIIIIIIIIIIIIIN♪Now, in case you don't recognize this, ok, this is the epically proportioned cacophony of enormous noise, alright? What it isn't, you might think, is the sound of an orchestra falling down some stairs, but what it is is the official single of the Olympics. Alright, this is called Survival. It's the work of the band Muse, three men from Devon who think if a job's worth doing, then it's worth throwing a hand grenade into a music cupboard and recording the results. And it also helps if you've got the holy chorus of angels on speed dial and taken the bold decision to eschew the sound of a drum kit and replace it with the noise of a rhino knocking a wall down!

And relax. I think that what's happened there, right, is the band from Devon—they've only recently discovered electricity—so they've sort of gone overboard on this stuff and are audibly binging on this stuffing sound into our ears like a fatty gorging on a music pie. But, get used to that noise, alright. Get used to it because as the official sound of the Olympics, it's going to be played, quote, "Whenever the athletes enter the stadium, in the lead up to the medal ceremony, and it will be the theme for all international TV coverage."

And it's this, right, this. It's like listening to a war, right? A sonic burst like Satan himself has burped, and has it amplified throughout the earth's core, and it's all you'll hear for two Olympic weeks, but it's just too epic. It's the very epitome of a song where your dad comes into your bedroom and shouts, "Turn it down! This noise is ridiculous! You can't even understand the words! This song is simply too big."

And he's right! It's too big for the olympics; it's far too massive for anyone or anything made of lycra. This is wasted on the entrance of athletes, boring old athletes. It belongs in a stadium, yeah. But a stadium where legions of marching 12-foot-tall robots with laser fists, whatever laser fists are, come screeching down from the sky in flaming chariots or wings of devestation. This is a song I want to hear when the world ends! When the sun melts! And the seas boil! And the mountains crack! And the very sky's torn asunder! This is the last thing I want to hear in my dying ears as mankind plunges into the abyss and is lost in the morgue of his own destruction!

A bit overly dramatic? But anyway, sound like we're gonna end up hearing the song a lot.

Thanx :)

A bit overly dramatic? :LOL: But anyway, sound like we're gonna end up hearing the song a lot.

It sounds like it is coming from someone who has never heard Muse before, but yeah I think he likes it. :D I also agree that the song is a bit wasted on the Olympics. For me it works the other way round, the song makes sport seem more exciting. I may need to play it a few times before today's Wimbledon final to try and convince myself that Murray actually wants to win. :LOL:

How to capture Muse in one paragraph? I think he kind of succeeded. This is probably the best description of Muse I've ever heard x)

Archived