The New/Unique/Influential Guitarist Thread

IntelligentAl

I'd check out some stuff by the drills, but he doesn't really go off in any of the songs like he does in the live recordings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAUvyNALfj0

And also, Josh Homme was one of the others I was thinking of - but I don't know if he's really done anything mind blowing like some of the others have. He just has a really unique playing style and overall sound which I like a lot.

All I know of this Phil X is from these two videos and it has left me rather confused. :erm: I'm not looking for a fight, but all I've learned from those videos is that he can do some decent, if rather bland, unimaginative and soulless covers, and has mastered the not especially difficult art of alternate picking - maybe with the odd bit of sweep picking thrown in at some point - I was becoming so bored I was starting to zone out. In fact his repetitive and rather cliched solos rather murdered his already average covers. So what? From those two videos he appears utterly bland, completely unoriginal, and most certainly not unique. Even his name sounds unoriginal, copied most likely from Paul Gilbert's Racer X. Yes, he may be technically very good, but unless he's making original unique sounds I wouldn't even class him as a good guitarist.* He's a copy of a copy, here doing stuff that's been done thousands of times before, and failing to even stamp his own sound or individual take onto it. All guitarists have influences, but it's about adding that personal stamp. I can only imagine his influence would be to blandly copy and not to innovate.

That is only feedback on those two videos, so if there's better then post them instead! But looking at his wikipedia page, from those two videos it doesn't surprise me that his associated acts are Bon Jovi and Avril Lavigne.

EDIT: *By which I mean his own songs would be good (if they are then any good), and wrangling unique or fresh sounds from his guitar would be even better.

i wouldn't have put phil x in there myself. he is phenomenal but not unique. he just plays rock stuff with incredible skill. but as we're posting our favourite phil x stuff here's mine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLb6-m4Qudc

there's a reason it has more views than any of his others. second fav being highway star for how he nails the solo's.

as far as unique and revolutionary?

Robert Johnson

Tom Morello

Buckethead (perhaps, or did he just take something already there and excel at it?)

Hendrix

we'd be fools to say we don't all owe something to Les Paul too

It's cool to talk about Skrillex at the moment

It's also cool to talk shit about Skrillex

I "unliked" skrillex on facebook when he did a gig in my country and then seen someone posting skrillex on his wall:rolleyes:

But seriously i can't bare brostep partys nowadays, it went over the top for me and then bursted out like a bubble in like less than a year. Or suddenly i became old.

Jimi Hendrix

Kevin Shields

Thurston Moore & Lee Ranaldo

Johnny Greenwood

Syd Barrett

Tom Morello

Matt Bellamy

William Reid

Jimmy Page

Lou Reed

Omar Rodriguez-Lopez

George Harrison

My list would be something like that, but I'm not really happy with it... Some of the best guitarists I've ever seen have been Post-Rock guitarists, and I haven't put any in there as it's difficult to pick them out of their bands. Some of the most exciting guitarists I've ever seen aren't there either, (e.g. Adam Nutter (The Music), Jason Simon (Dead Meadow), Conor McGloin (Kinesis), Andy Falkous (Future Of The Left), Hiroyuki Hayashi (Polysics), Benjamin Curtis (Secret Machines/School Of Seven Bells), Marty Friedman) who I might add to a personal list, but feel as though they need to be more consistent, original or influential to get onto this one.

I saw a video where skrillex was pissing about on one, does that make him a 1337 guitarist?

:erm:

All I know of this Phil X is from these two videos and it has left me rather confused. :erm: I'm not looking for a fight, but all I've learned from those videos is that he can do some decent, if rather bland, unimaginative and soulless covers, and has mastered the not especially difficult art of alternate picking - maybe with the odd bit of sweep picking thrown in at some point - I was becoming so bored I was starting to zone out. In fact his repetitive and rather cliched solos rather murdered his already average covers. So what? From those two videos he appears utterly bland, completely unoriginal, and most certainly not unique. Even his name sounds unoriginal, copied most likely from Paul Gilbert's Racer X. Yes, he may be technically very good, but unless he's making original unique sounds I wouldn't even class him as a good guitarist.* He's a copy of a copy, here doing stuff that's been done thousands of times before, and failing to even stamp his own sound or individual take onto it. All guitarists have influences, but it's about adding that personal stamp. I can only imagine his influence would be to blandly copy and not to innovate.

That is only feedback on those two videos, so if there's better then post them instead! But looking at his wikipedia page, from those two videos it doesn't surprise me that his associated acts are Bon Jovi and Avril Lavigne.

EDIT: *By which I mean his own songs would be good (if they are then any good), and wrangling unique or fresh sounds from his guitar would be even better.

For me, it's his energy more than anything. I guess you're right in that his own music isn't really anything that unique, but I like the way he blends Hendrix covers with sweep picking, etc. I don't find them to be soulless at all, but to each his own.

Anyway, I think we all really know him from Fretted Americana demos (this is one of my favs):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLp9NQd_uNQ

Another really cool thing about the guy is that he knows almost every song ever...ever.

I really haven't heard much of his playing :$ I know how much of an impact he had on music though

Always been one of my favourites :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmMCzGKCeYo

Jimmy Page

Interested to hear why you chose Page. I kept going back and forth over whether to include him because despite him being one of my favourite guitarists, I couldnt pin down anything particularly unique that set him apart. I kinda felt like rather than revolutionising guitar playing, he was more of a catalyst.

If that makes sense :$

For me, it's his energy more than anything.

Yeah but there are endless hordes of guitarists with energy, Im not really sure Phils is anything revolutionary.

Nor does the thread title say anything about revolutionary... :p

No, but he certainly hasn't had that much of an impact on rock music. That's like listing Nicolas Arson from The Hives because he had/has a lot of energy, although Phil X is by far the more talented guitarist. I think we're talking about people who are imitated by guitarists or will be imitated in the future due to their style/use of gear.

No, but he certainly hasn't had that much of an impact on rock music. That's like listing Nicolas Arson from The Hives because he had/has a lot of energy, although Phil X is by far the more talented guitarist. I think we're talking about people who are imitated by guitarists or will be imitated in the future due to their style/use of gear.

To be fair, though, Phil X really isn't that mainstream. I'm not arguing that he's really that influential or revolutionary, but I think he's certainly cool and unique.

The flipstick was pretty revolutionary, though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhzDOLHRAMg

To be fair, though, Phil X really isn't that mainstream. I'm not arguing that he's really that influential or revolutionary, but I think he's certainly cool and unique.

The flipstick was pretty revolutionary, though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhzDOLHRAMg

i wanted to say that his hair were awesome (and influental) but then i found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsry3FgHZaM

:stunned:

wow, i commented on a powder video a couple of years ago with my old YT account basically saying anyone else here just for phil x, the music is nothing special but he is. just checked and it has 170 thumbs up. i wondered why i was getting replies like a year after i posted it.

i'd say purely because of the debate he deserves to be on the list. and he has worked on a lot of records, we might not even be directly aware of his total influence on rock.

Bs

DominicDOT

James

IntelligentAI

Harley

Jimbo

Lazza

Simno (built in bellamy, and bzzzzz)

The Burton twins (lots of huge juice on teh mansion guitarz liek belanny)

And above all, me.

/thread.

You forgot the 90 :facepalm:

This guy right here:

33598_169577073068120_127009707324857_520196_2032560_n.jpg

I have been waiting for someone to put this up! Now we can really close the thread

btw IntelligentAI's and Will's recordings inspired me to be less shit, i even changed my index finger vibrato recently to make my vibrato more in tune.

I still fear from buying a mic and hear myself recorded, i have a feeling that it will sound completely different than what i am hearing while playing.

You... you... play the guitar...? I always thought you played the pedalol.

Archived