Where's the OOS anniversary re-release?

emperorhand

In two months it'll mark the 10-year anniversary of Origin of Symmetry, and for the life of me I don't understand why Warner hasn't pulled out the stops to issue a deluxe edition of the album. There is enough stuff buried in the Muse archives that it wouldn't take much work to compile a second disc of live performances and videos, and the album is so beloved by fans that I'm sure anything new or interesting (or even some re-releases of previously published material) would be eagerly snapped up.

Seriously. Muse is bigger worldwide than they ever have been, they're finishing up the Resistance Tour and prepping for the next album, and the last release by them was Neutron Star Collision. Now's the perfect time for a musically-stuffed look back at the album that changed them the most. Warner, are you listening?

With most other bands, this would make perfect sense, and you would be spot on. But Muse were saying that they wanted to draw a line at this part of their career now, and I think re-releasing an album would probably just bring to the publics attention that they rarely play old songs anymore. I'm probably just talking bollocks. :LOL:

And Maverick in the US.

Maverick had the USA rights, nothing more. I believe the album was licensed by Taste Media to various labels around the world. Basically Warner own no part of it, so can't go releasing anything beyond what they got through the purchase of Maverick, any extra stuff definitely won't belong to them.

Helium3 is just a vanity label for Muse as part of their deal with Warner.

Haze, Warner bought the rights to all of Muse's back catalogue a while back, I believe, including Origin.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. So it kind of would make sense for them to re release it, especially in the USA.

Haze, Warner bought the rights to all of Muse's back catalogue a while back, I believe, including Origin.

Wasn't aware of that.

Maybe an alternative theory would be that it would class as another new album release under the contract Warner have with Muse and they'd prefer to stick to original material. Or they don't feel the market is there for such a release. I'd be amazed if it hasn't at least been considered.

Maybe an alternative theory would be that it would class as another new album release under the contract Warner have with Muse and they'd prefer to stick to original material. Or they don't feel the market is there for such a release. I'd be amazed if it hasn't at least been considered.

I don't think it would count as a new release, though. Even in the U.S. Origin of Symmetry has charted as a Warner title. But to me it seems as though there's very little risk for guaranteed sales. Slap a sticker on it "From the band who brought you Starlight and Uprising!", throw in something about Twilight and watch the albums fly off the shelf.

In a way I'm not surprised. Warner screwed up the Resistance release so badly perhaps the idea never made it past the throwaway stage.

I don't think it would count as a new release, though. Even in the U.S. Origin of Symmetry has charted as a Warner title. But to me it seems as though there's very little risk for guaranteed sales. Slap a sticker on it "From the band who brought you Starlight and Uprising!", throw in something about Twilight and watch the albums fly off the shelf.

In a way I'm not surprised. Warner screwed up the Resistance release so badly perhaps the idea never made it past the throwaway stage.

I'm sorry but what did I miss about the screwed-up release of The Resistance? :confused: Not sure whether you were referring to the sales (which wasn't bad for a Muse album) or something else.

That is a different situation as that was a USA only situation where Maverick had the rights to the album and Warner bought them out, gaining the US rights to that album in the process. Whereas Maverick chose to not release the album, Warner did with the increased interest in Muse at that time.

I'm sorry but what did I miss about the screwed-up release of The Resistance? :confused: Not sure whether you were referring to the sales (which wasn't bad for a Muse album) or something else.

I was referring more to the overall package, especially the single releases. But in a nutshell: the European tour was announced before any of the album had been heard, United States of Eurasia and Uprising had a lot of overlap and confused a fair number of people as to what the leadoff single was, Muse was woefully underprepared in the fall of '09 to play their new songs, and the single releases were terrible. No real b-sides to speak of, only one (Resistance) actually had a physical release to get excited about, Undisclosed Desires was an all-around snoozer (song, music video, digital-only release), MK Ultra rarely made an appearance, and Neutron Star Collision is just a bit of a laugh. The Resistance cycle has been pretty atrocious when you look back at the past two years.

That would be the worst decision of their career.

Albums are a reflection of where a band is at that precise moment in time; even remastering an album, to a certain extent, disrupts the legacy that body of work represents, let alone re-recording it!

They should re-record Origin with they're new mature sound, but keep the essence of what made the original so spectacular.

No, just no. What kinda fucked up idea is that? As much as I love listening to new live performances of old songs, re-recording something that's already brilliant will only lead to a massive failure. And it wouldn't exactly qualify as 'Drawing a line under that phase of their career'.

Fair enough:LOL:

Whatever, it would still be cool.:p

I can see why it would be interesting to hear, but I'm in agreement with the others that it would seem a little like OOS was getting the Star Wars treatment. Also, if they had the studio time to spend on such a project I'd prefer they work on new stuff.

Archived