Best Album for New Fans?

beachdude42

Best Album for New Fans?  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Best Album for New Fans?

• Origin of Symmetry
    • Absolution
    • Other

Absolution! After hearing Hysteria and Time is Running Out on the radio a few times I decided to give Absolution a listen as a whole. I'm not sure if anything will ever quite hook me again as the clashing opening chords of Apocalypse Please did, or reel me in like the rest of the album. Along with hearing some of the best tracks on Absolution, you'll also hear their most consistent and dramatic album. The only side of Muse that isn't really represented is their experimental and electronic songs, but those hadn't been touched on yet (and you'll get plenty of it later on in Black Holes and Resistance.) While this isn't my ordering of their albums from favorite to least, I think listening to and appreciating what they've done in this order will keep everything different and fresh, and let you aquire a taste for some of their older and less digestible work:

Absolution

Black Holes and Revelations

Origin of Symmetry

The Resistance

Showbiz

Hullaballoo Soundtrack (circa 2002 b-side album)

And don't be afraid to check out their live stuff! It's where they really shine.

Absolution

Origin of Symmetry

The Resistance

Showbiz

Hullaballoo Soundtrack (circa 2002 b-side album)

And don't be afraid to check out their live stuff! It's where they really shine.

That's actually pretty much the order I heard their albums in -

(Uno, CTMEoY, Blackout, Newborn, Microcuts and Bliss)

Absolution

OOS + Showbiz

Hullaballoo

HAARP

And the Resistance last of course.

I was absolutely thrilled when I bought Absolution during a school trip in Prague. I had no taste in music whatsoever. Absolution opened up the world of alternative and progressive rock to me (in the Netherlands it's used to be far more obscure than in the UK).

That was an incredibly blissful time for me. Finally music made with creativity, talent and passion. Then moving on to Showbiz and Origin of Symmetry was amazing as well, but it never rivalled Absolution.

Too bad Muse never continued this trend though. BH&R and Resistance are sell-outs. Good for them and making more accessible music, but that passion is gone and they know it. Muse is now the André Rieu of rock music.

Oh well, bands like Porcupine Tree and Amplifier and many obscure bands like Gazpacho picked up where Muse left off.

This song is similar to what I imagined the fourth album to be. It's easy to imagine Matt's voice doing the vocals. Granted, I didn't expect them to pick up a violin, but it does have the same symphonic quality Absolution has.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB1lhHJhVaE

I'm not sure if anything will ever quite hook me again as the clashing opening chords of Apocalypse Please did, or reel me in like the rest of the album. Along with hearing some of the best tracks on Absolution, you'll also hear their most consistent and dramatic album.

+1

Absolution was the album that brought me into Muse. I'd heard the singles from Origin of Symmetry and quite liked them, but it was one of those "Oh, I'll further check out the band when I have some time" moments. Then one day I heard Stockholm Syndrome on the internet before the album was released, and it was pure awe. I imported a copy of the album from the UK that fall and played the hell out of it over the next year. It was like nothing I'd heard before -- the combination of baroque and metal influences, having a technical piano solo in the middle of an epic guitar song, the bass opening to Hysteria...oh my god. I was hooked. That three-piece band put out so much noise it was unbelievable.

Somewhere I read a review of Absolution that said "This is what you'll listen to as the world ends" and I think that's a fair summary. I've never found it difficult to listen to all of the way through; it has almost a perfect balance cohesion (Thoughts of a Dying Atheist the notable exception) and ends on a sublime note with Ruled by Secrecy. None of Muse's other albums have the same intensity or emotion that Absolution does, and it will always remain my favorite for that reason. Muse has since occasionally hearkened back to that era (Hoodoo springs to mind) but Absolution stands tall as their masterpiece. It's the album I always suggest first to new listeners.

+1

Absolution was the album that brought me into Muse. I'd heard the singles from Origin of Symmetry and quite liked them, but it was one of those "Oh, I'll further check out the band when I have some time" moments. Then one day I heard Stockholm Syndrome on the internet before the album was released, and it was pure awe. I imported a copy of the album from the UK that fall and played the hell out of it over the next year. It was like nothing I'd heard before -- the combination of baroque and metal influences, having a technical piano solo in the middle of an epic guitar song, the bass opening to Hysteria...oh my god. I was hooked. That three-piece band put out so much noise it was unbelievable.

Somewhere I read a review of Absolution that said "This is what you'll listen to as the world ends" and I think that's a fair summary. I've never found it difficult to listen to all of the way through; it has almost a perfect balance cohesion (Thoughts of a Dying Atheist the notable exception) and ends on a sublime note with Ruled by Secrecy. None of Muse's other albums have the same intensity or emotion that Absolution does, and it will always remain my favorite for that reason. Muse has since occasionally hearkened back to that era (Hoodoo springs to mind) but Absolution stands tall as their masterpiece. It's the album I always suggest first to new listeners.

I agree with all of this.

+1

To each his own, I guess. Absolution didn't blow me away at all the first time I heard it. Took a while for me to appreciate it. And I still don't appreciate it as much as most people, though I like some songs on it a lot.

Absolution.

I literally heard Hysteria and Time is Running Out and got COMPLETELY addicted. Stockholm Syndrome got me obsessed. All of the songs on there are just so Muse and so beautiful. From start to finish, there isn't one track that I doubt.

• 2 weeks later...

Of any, I'd say either BH&R or The Resistance; there's so much variation on them there's bound to be something a new listener will like, whatever they're into.

Of these two, Absolution is probably better for newcomers, it's more 'straightforward' and less weird and dark compared to OoS. I know personally Absolution did it for me. I heard the two most recent albums first and liked them, then when I head Absolution it changed everything and it's probably responsible for me liking them as much as I do.

The newest albums draw them in, Absolution and OoS get them hooked.:)

Absolution is a little more accessible, I think. And it's brilliant, so I'd go for this one first. Then OOS. But they've changed a lot since then - just saying...

I realize that they've changed a lot. I like all of their stuff, and I love how much variety their music has, but I think I prefer their older, more progressive stuff.I might actually like OoS better, but based on most people's advice, I'll try Absolution.

+1

This review and the one before it are so passionate that I can't help but check out the rest of the album. Thanks once again to everyone for their passionate opinions!

When I play Muse for people that haven't heard them before, I always choose Black Holes And Revelations. To me, it's the easiest album to get people sucked in. So far, I've never had someone not be interested in the group after hearing it. A girl I worked with listen to nothing but Hip-Hop and when I played her "Super Massive Black Hole", she was really into it. At first she misunderstood me and thought I said the title was "Supermassive Black Hoe" :$ . After hearing the correct title and rest of the album, she had me play the songs everyday before we started working.

the thing about OoS is it has songs like Space Dementia and Micro Cuts which you will only appreciate once you're hooked. Micro Cuts is a no no for a non-muse listener

Funnily enough those were the two songs that got me hooked, especially Micro Cuts :D

But I see what you mean - My brother heard Micro Cuts and just dismissed Muse instantly "but you can't even understand what he's saying" etc.

Archived