No one in music has ever profited from the falling apart of relationships of course.

I'd highly recommend looking into Factory Records and Tony Wilson and what went on there, the film 24 Hour Party People out right states half of it is bollocks, half truth. He understood the importance of creating the legend, everyone in the industry is at it, we've already seen people claiming Muse were high as a kite on mushrooms for OOS! (Which you dismissed as it doesn't suit what you want to hear!)

No I dismissed it beause I had heard someone say that it was very unlikely, which was later pointed out to be you! :p And mjartrod later confirmed it from another source. You just like to argue and to try and be clever I think.

As for profiting from the falling apart of a relationship, I guess you're talking about using personal feelings in songs. I can't see anything wrong with that, the personal exploration improves the song for the listener and the artist has an outlet. The fact that profits result if the artist then decides to release it, doesn't diminish the heartfelt nature of the original emotion expressed. There are also likely to be many other songs that never reach our ears.

As for whether Matt would pretend that a song related to his breakup when it didn't for commercial reasons: obviously I don't know for sure but I think you do him a disservice. I don't really care if other people do that, or whether he's done it at other times, it doesn't mean he did in this instance. I don't think he did.

I also remember that he spoke to a fan about it before, that he was wondering whether to let Twilight have one of his songs. So the song occurred first, in it's raw form at least, Twilight were involved afterwards. The only other explanation would be that he sold them a different song, which is possible, but I think that's just looking for explanation for those who don't want to believe he was genuine. I can't see any reason not to believe him.

A song written for Twilight would have sold because it was for Twilight. I can't see why he would have had any need to talk about his personal life in relation to it, unless he actually wanted to for the reason he said, to get it out there, to release the song at the time it was still meaningful to him.

Anyway think what you like, I don't care, but I think you should stop trying to put yourself over as superior in your reasoning, if you can manage it, that is. :chuckle:

i dont understand what is so difficult to grasp about the concept that a songwriter who ended a long term romantic relationship would be *gasps in shock* expressing feelings about it through a song. bleeding obvious to most people what the song is about (and with that subject, why wouldnt it be heartfelt?), considering what we know of matt as a songwriter, what we know of his personal life and the time of writing/recording.

but i guess some people will question everything, even what's right in front of their eyes *shrugs*

Indeed.

i love soaked melody n the piano solo. i can feel the sorrow, the pain, the disappointment, n the angry in them. and i rather like the lyric.

the good thing is, muse gave NSC for twilight and not included it in the album. no wayyy. hehehe.

the way i think about NSC is, matt created the song because of the request of other, and because twilight is a film about love, matt was trying to make a love song that fit with the film. my point is, i think matt did not seem to be himself in creating NSC. that's just my thoughts anyway.

It's funny but I thought the opposite. :) It's all down to perception of course, though there's only one reality. It may have gone through changes in the production process. But I still think the core feel of it was genuine. That's just my thoughts. :)

so funny that people hates NSC, but always manage to bring it to the conversation :LOL:

Love drunk Matt, I'm sure he's been under so much pressure that he found a way to release the stress hahaha

The NME - psycho girlfriend speech is awesome!!

According to Shazam it is "Shark Bait" by Terry Devine-King, Mark Verney, James Fage and Ben John.

Looks like it's just a track recorded for ads/tv from a quick google search. Shame. It really does sound a lot like Kinesis (who split up back in 2005), so I was hoping a band had appeared to fill that particular hole. :(

You don't turn up to interviews and start going on about how you did anything for commercial reasons! :LOL::facepalm:

Unless you're Aphex Twin of course, but then half the crap he comes out with...

No idea what you're talking about.

I've always found schizophrenia fuckin’ excellent. I think it's the next evolutionary stage of humanity. My father worked in mental hospitals, so I got interested in it from all the stories. I like the idea of people having voices in their head that operate independently. I consider that to be an advantage, not a handicap. I see these people as having two minds, and two minds are better than one. It's just a shame that, with schizos, it's working against them rather than for them. "We're really only supposed to use a small part of our brains, so maybe these people are evolving towards using a large amount. I reckon they should get a load of schizos and breed 'em, it could be the next stop for humanity. It would be great to be a schizo, you'd be able to work on two tracks at once!

No idea what you're talking about.

For a guy that's apparently taken mushrooms, he shouldn't be acting like he has no idea what more than one in his head is like!

Richard D James is still funnier though. Something like that would be him talking sense. :p

Also, what kind of amateur psychology is he into that he's still into the myth we only use a small amount of our brains? Idiot.

• 1 year later...

Archived