Got one of those orange pre-EQ things with the fancy name, but I haven't taken it out of the box yet.

And also, for $35, I'm not expecting anything particularly special, but...

Frenchtoast.gif

With my QOTSA/Dave tone obsession, I learned that a foxx tone machine was used on SFTD, and since I can't find one of those, this will do ... for now

TC Electronic Flashback Mini

€100 to replace my no-name shit oversized delay. I'm very interested by the toneprint.

Yeah the tone print is great. Pretty sure I have the troy van leeuwen tone print on mine

Recently got into wanting to get this sound as well, was thinking of getting the stone deaf fx pdf-1, would this be a good step in the right direction in getting a sort of QOTSA sound?

Massive step in the right direction. I like the rated R and SFTD tones the most, but I've heard that the parametric filter wasn't used on SFTD. Only a foxx tone machine and a z vex super hard on

No idea about rated R. It sounds like the parametric filter though.

But the parametric filter (on a very specific setting) boosting the right fuzz pedal can get you really close to most of the tones. That instagram video I posted not long ago was basically the setup he used for the LTP tour, and I can easily get SFTD and rated R tones from it.

But yeah, the foxx tone machine...if you listen to that SFTD demos compilation, you can hear this sound as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN50XWBI2rM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BSvHe6s-eE

I don't know how consistent those were though, so I'm trying to find an original to try.

Massive step in the right direction. I like the rated R and SFTD tones the most, but I've heard that the parametric filter wasn't used on SFTD. Only a foxx tone machine and a z vex super hard on

No idea about rated R. It sounds like the parametric filter though.

But the parametric filter (on a very specific setting) boosting the right fuzz pedal can get you really close to most of the tones. That instagram video I posted not long ago was basically the setup he used for the LTP tour, and I can easily get SFTD and rated R tones from it.

Nice one, will keep an eye out for one at a good price :awesome:

But yeah, the foxx tone machine...if you listen to that SFTD demos compilation, you can hear this sound as well.

I don't know how consistent those were though, so I'm trying to find an original to try.

That sounds epic!

i have one of these if you want it?

I would love one, but paycheck this month hasn't been great, so think I'm only going to be able to afford that 2nd hand Stone Deaf PDF-1 Manson's are selling, the rest has to go on insurance (joys of being a new driver :facepalm: ) If you've still got it in a few weeks I'll have it off you!

I ordered one in January at my local shop when it was announced, been waiting ever since :(

MXR only send about 10/15 to the UK every month, so even places like Andertons who eat up large chunks of stock never have any.

cancel it and buy sherpa_man's

I see there's only one listed now :ninja: Have you bought it?

Not yet, I'll be ordering it tonight hopefully :ninja:

Edit: Brought it, should be here by the end of the week :ninja:

...Also found a vintage Ampeg V4 head for sale, fairly local to me, its recently been serviced and is up for just under £340, is this a good price? Tempted to have a clear out of guitar stuff to try and get it...

Not yet, I'll be ordering it tonight hopefully :ninja:

Edit: Brought it, should be here by the end of the week :ninja:

...Also found a vintage Ampeg V4 head for sale, fairly local to me, its recently been serviced and is up for just under £340, is this a good price? Tempted to have a clear out of guitar stuff to try and get it...

Nice, set it like this for QOTSA:

bandwidth click switch: One click right from center position

height: all the way up

frequency: pointing directly towards the "P" on input

On the green (clean) setting. Run it into a good fuzz pedal with the fuzz control nearly all the way down (just so it sounds distorted enough), and the tone control set to taste.

Oh and it depends. Do you know if it's an early 70's non master volume, or a mid-late 70's with the distortion circuit? It's a good price either way, but the one to get is the earlier one without the distortion circuit (toggle switch version)

Nice, set it like this for QOTSA:

bandwidth click switch: One click right from center position

height: all the way up

frequency: pointing directly towards the "P" on input

On the green (clean) setting. Run it into a good fuzz pedal with the fuzz control nearly all the way down (just so it sounds distorted enough), and the tone control set to taste.

Oh and it depends. Do you know if it's an early 70's non master volume, or a mid-late 70's with the distortion circuit? It's a good price either way, but the one to get is the earlier one without the distortion circuit (toggle switch version)

Nice one cheers for the settings!

Its got 6 controls on the face of the amp, 2 of which being for volume. Does this mean its a non-master volume? Its also got the 3 metal toggle switches as opposed to the plastic ones I've seen? Really tempted to have an eBay selling spree so I can get some cash together for it...

$_86.JPG

That's the non master volume :awesome: Get it, just keep in mind that they're LOUD and you won't be able to get distortion from the amp itself unless you crank it up (although there is a way around this, but it doesn't work too well in my opinion)

Do you know if it's a V4 or a V4B? I recall Josh used the V4B, but I'm not completely sure what the difference is between the two (besides that the V4B was for bass?)

edit:

set it exactly like this

dnkv8x6.jpg

I'm sure I've seen a picture of his pedalboard where it was set like that as well. Weird because SDFX said he always kept it on the dirty setting

Archived