Have to write article on Muse for Journalism assignment- HELP!!!

Tellytots

Hey, everyone.

For my new Journalism assignment I have to write an article on any chosen subject, to be included in a fictional music magazine of my choice. I have chosen Muse as my topic, obviously, and am going to base my article on this: Muse - sell-outs or merely basking in their new-found fame?

I would really appreciate it if any of my fellow Musers would take the time to answer a questions ( which are included below), and also offer their own views on this subject.

Thanks in advance.:)

1. How long have you been a fan of Muse?

2. Did you discover Muse through the Twilight franchise?

3. Do you think Muse were better musically in the Showbiz era, Origin Of Symmetry era, Absolution era, BH&R era or The Resistance era?

4. Do you believe that Muse are indeed selling-out?

1: 10 years.

2: No.

3: Absolution-era was Muse's peak.

4: If you consider that 8 years ago Muse sued Nescafe for using their version of Feeling Good (not even their own song but a cover) then I think it's safe to say their attitude towards use of their music in advertising has definitely changed. That's a sell-out in anyone's book.

3. Do you think Muse were better musically in the Showbiz era, Origin Of Symmetry era, Absolution era, BH&R era or The Resistance era?

1. When I first heard them when Starlight and SMBH started playing on the radio (2006?)

2. no

3. Abso-TR

4. No, I think they are just enjoying the freedom of making any kind of music

1. Since February this year.

2. Nope.

3. Absolution- BH&R era.

4. No but they've changed.

1. 2006

2. No

3. OoS-Absolution

4. No. since I don't think they are agreeing to anything that they don't stand for. They have a different view on things, and 2001-Muse would probably think that doing what 2010-Muse are doing is selling out, but no, I don't think they are selling out.

1. About 7 months.

2. I had the Twilight soundtrack and that was the first time I heard of Muse, but I started listening to them because of an MTV contest.

3. OoS, then again with BHaR.

4. No, they've just changed, both musically and personality-wise. Which is definitely not the same as selling out.

1. Just over a year ~ saw them for the first time performing Uprising on the VMAs.

2. See above - No. :)

3. "Better" is so subjective. There are clearly differences in the albums. For the most part, I really like them all, but I have a pretty broad musical taste anyway. Sometimes different isn't better or worse; it's just different. My current personal preference is Absolution forward, with Absolution being my personal favorite.

4. No. Selling out to me means they'd be putting forward work that they weren't satisfied with strictly make the record label happy and to appeal to the fans the record label wants them to appeal to. I don't think that's happening. I don't think Exo would exist on TR at all if the record company had a say; it's not really commercial at all.

1. About 2 years as a proper fan, but was really into a couple of their songs before (mainly Feeling Good and SMBH)

2. Nope, my brother introduced me to their music.

3. Origin/ Absolution

4.I think they've been pushing it with the peak of their tour, but I think they are, as you say, just basking in the fame and as things settles down again I reckon they'll become more grounded in the next album.

1. Since 2007, but I'm not sure.

2. Narp.

3. Abso-BH&R, but OOS was badass.

4. I think they've changed, but they still make the music they make and not what's popular. I'm sure I've read an interview before where they said something along the lines of that they don't want to keep making the same sort of music with each album and make a niche for themselves.

Thanks in advance.:)

1. Since 2006 (4 years)

2. NO.

3. Origin of Symmetry era

4. no, but they've certainly changed a bit

:musesign:

1. 2006-08 (first heard SMBH in late 2006, first really played Muse in early 2008)

2. No - through FIFA

3. Absolution-era

4. They have and they haven't. You have to sell out a little to really get to a massive mainstream audience and some of their stuff is very commercial (UD) but they still have a degree of originality a pinch above most bands and artists in the mainstream.

1. 3 Years

2. Nope

3. Black Holes and Revelations to The Resistance

4. No, as much as I hate twilight, it has helped introduce more people to them, even if people do take the piss, for example

Archived