Well done Muse.

... Am I the only one who thinks Resistance for Best Rock Song is a bit weird?

Probably not as weird as Undisclosed Desires for Best Rock Song, if that had happened. :LOL:

I think it's just because they've categorized the band as Rock, so any nominations are in that category. I think that's actually kinda interesting because it was the Modern Rock/Alternative charts they dominated this year, not the Rock one so much (although Uprising and Resistance did chart well on that one too).

Your ava :LOL:

:D

Oh darn, they were there? I was there at the Grammy noms also. I got to talk to Matt & Dom at the AMAs and Tom Kirk. :)

Here is my take on the 3 Grammy noms:

www.examiner.com/rock-music-in-los-angeles/muse-inducted-into-showbiz-with-3-grammy-nominations-2011

Their treatment in interviews after the AMAs peeved me to no end:

www.examiner.com/rock-music-in-los-angeles/muse-wins-an-ama-and-the-press-manage-to-annoy-muse-fans-11-19-10

Great articles!! :happy:

Now, I am really hoping the guys perform and show America, and the rest of the world who may not know, what REAL music sounds like. I will tolerate this show for the sake of Muse (and all the other great nods), but I can't promise to watch the whole thing if Beiber, Katy or Kesha get on stage :vomit:

+1!!!

I really hope TR wins best rock album. Last year the Grammy telecast was pretty good (minus some obvious crap), but I thought they stopped airing most of the awards in favor of making it more about the performances. I know they'll air best rock album, but I'm not sure about the others. :erm:

Also, if they perform, I kinda hope they don't do Resistance. :$ (I love the song, it's just not what I want them to show to that kind of audience.)

I think they will be asked to perform because of lack of other popular rock bands out there right now and because of their multiple nominations. They won't be touring and the baby will be old enough so that Chris could probably manage a flight to LA. I wonder what song they will perform?

I really hope TR wins best rock album. Last year the Grammy telecast was pretty good (minus some obvious crap), but I thought they stopped airing most of the awards in favor of making it more about the performances. I know they'll air best rock album, but I'm not sure about the others. :erm:

Also, if they perform, I kinda hope they don't do Resistance. :$ (I love the song, it's just not what I want them to show to that kind of audience.)

Ha ha, I was just thinking the same thing. My thoughts are they will perform Resistance, which is unfortunate because it doesn't showcase their talent like other songs, and this will be the first time many Americans have ever heard Muse.

The best case scenario would be to play a shortened version of Resistance and then go into a bit of one of their older show-stoppers. Would Warner allow that though? Hmm...

I think it's just because they've categorized the band as Rock, so any nominations are in that category. I think that's actually kinda interesting because it was the Modern Rock/Alternative charts they dominated this year, not the Rock one so much (although Uprising and Resistance did chart well on that one too).

I was just going to bring this up in reference to it being so weird the Grammy's consider Muse "rock" and not "alternative"...

I'm not surprised about the title track getting all the nominations; Uprising was too early to make the cut, and Undisclosed Desires is probably too recent/not successful enough yet. I was kind of hoping for Exogenesis to make some kind of catgeory (if only Matt didn't sing on it, definitely could have been up for Instrumental Composition)

It'd be nice for Muse to win all 3 awards so each of them could have one hah.

I was just going to bring this up in reference to it being so weird the Grammy's consider Muse "rock" and not "alternative"...

I'm not surprised about the title track getting all the nominations; Uprising was too early to make the cut, and Undisclosed Desires is probably too recent/not successful enough yet. I was kind of hoping for Exogenesis to make some kind of catgeory (if only Matt didn't sing on it, definitely could have been up for Instrumental Composition)

+1 on winning all three. That would be :awesome:.

Exo definitely would have been nominated (and probably wins) without the vocal.

Who actually submits the potential nominations? Is that something Warner puts together or band management? I don't think the awards admins make the call in determining who gets placed where. It would be on the nomination submission.

Looking at the list again, it seems like album is the only Alternative category...? If that's the case, it's better for them to be in the Rock because it gives them a chance at more nominations......?

Does a song have to be a single to get a nomination?

The three GRAMMY nominations are well deserved!! They are voted on by musicians, producers, recording engineers and other recording professionals in the Recording Academy. Recognition by peers is always special.

Hopefully, the band will be announced as one of the performers on the February 13 live broadcast of the awards at the Staples Center. Muse sold 32k tickets at this venue in September.

I expected Pearl Jam and Muse to get Rock Album nominations. Their competition are veteran rock artists like Tom Petty, Neil Young and Jeff Beck. Last year Green Day won the GRAMMY in this category over Kings of Leon so I think Muse has a fair chance of winning this one. The competition in the other two categories is tougher and anybody could win.

Before Bieber, another precocious musician was playing Ray Charles on the piano:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_99w1GYza1c

Click below to see why Muse received three GRAMMY nominations:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTTyzfF_TCU&feature=related

When do they announce the performers?

The three GRAMMY nominations are well deserved!! They are voted on by musicians, producers, recording engineers and other recording professionals in the Recording Academy. Recognition by peers is always special.

Do you know if it works like the Oscars where anyone nominated is eligible to become a member of the acadamy, meaning Muse will now be able to join and vote for future Grammys?

Can anyone explain the difference between Rock Song and Rock Performance? Is it a specific performance?

From the looks of it, the "Rock Song" category goes to the song WRITER (so I guess it'd really be Matt who's nominated for that one) and "Rock Performance" is like... the quality of the singing/playing/etc of the song.

I might be mistaken, but I just noticed that it makes a point to list "Matthew Bellamy, songwriter" next to the Song category and just "Muse" next to the performance one :)

From the looks of it, the "Rock Song" category goes to the song WRITER (so I guess it'd really be Matt who's nominated for that one) and "Rock Performance" is like... the quality of the singing/playing/etc of the song.

I might be mistaken, but I just noticed that it makes a point to list "Matthew Bellamy, songwriter" next to the Song category and just "Muse" next to the performance one :)

Oh right, makes sense. Seems a bit of an odd distinction though, particularly when the songwriter is the performer. Would make more sense to call it Rock songwriting but I guess that's a bit of a mouthful :chuckle:

Yeah, one is for the writing of the song and one is for the finished product. It's similar with record of the year vs song of the year - one is for the writer the other is for the performers and producer.

From the grammy site:

16. Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals

For duo, group or collaborative performances, with vocals. Singles or Tracks only.

20. Best Rock Song

A Songwriter(s) Award. Includes Rock, Hard Rock & Metal songs. For Song Eligibility Guidelines see Category #3. (Artist names appear in parentheses.) Singles or Tracks only.

:)

So, technically Muse was nominated for 2 awards and Matt was nominated for one ;)

EDIT: btw the eligibility guidelines mentioned say "A song is eligible if it was first released or if it first achieved prominence during the Eligibility Year" ... which makes me wonder why Uprising was ineligible - technically, although it was released in August of last year, I don't think it really was able to "achieve prominence" until after Sept 1, so....

Yes, it is not what I would call a "rock" song. But, I guess the Academy wanted to include them, and that was the best option. I don't think they will win any of the awards for Resistance, but I do think they have a good shot at best rock album for THE Resistance.

I think best rock performance will go to Ready to Start - Arcade Fire and I have no idea for best rock song.

One out of 3 ain't bad :)

Resistance is def a rock song and def impressive. With Uprising it's just about a release date.

Ready to Start has SHIT VOCALS. That's what I would really have liked to say, but instead I slammed them thusly:

Stuck in the Suburbs with The Arcade Fire:

http://www.examiner.com/rock-music-in-los-angeles/stuck-the-suburbs-with-the-arcade-fire

Resistance is def a rock song and def impressive. With Uprising it's just about a release date.

Ready to Start has SHIT VOCALS. That's what I would really have liked to say, but instead I slammed them thusly:

Stuck in the Suburbs with The Arcade Fire:

http://www.examiner.com/rock-music-in-los-angeles/stuck-the-suburbs-with-the-arcade-fire

The Suburbs is one of the best albums of the year. stfu.

Yeah, one is for the writing of the song and one is for the finished product. It's similar with record of the year vs song of the year - one is for the writer the other is for the performers and producer.

From the grammy site:

:)

So, technically Muse was nominated for 2 awards and Matt was nominated for one ;)

EDIT: btw the eligibility guidelines mentioned say "A song is eligible if it was first released or if it first achieved prominence during the Eligibility Year" ... which makes me wonder why Uprising was ineligible - technically, although it was released in August of last year, I don't think it really was able to "achieve prominence" until after Sept 1, so....

Interesting that it says 'singles or tracks' are eligible. So it didn't have to be Resistance or Undisclosed Desires. A better album track could have been nominated?

Interesting that it says 'singles or tracks' are eligible. So it didn't have to be Resistance or Undisclosed Desires. A better album track could have been nominated?

Yeah, apparently... but only UD, NSC and Resistance were submitted for the nominations. Maybe the label thought the album wasn't big enough for people to be familiar with non-single tracks and didn't want to risk it?

Well done Muse.

... Am I the only one who thinks Resistance for Best Rock Song is a bit weird?

Probably not as weird as Undisclosed Desires for Best Rock Song, if that had happened. :LOL:

The obvious most rocking-est and classic-rock-ish of them all on TR is obviously MK Ultra. Too bad it won't see the light of day in mainstream awards and media.

I'll settle for Resistance. It's still head and shoulders above the competition and deserves nomination.

Congrats and good luck guys!!

Archived