I'm sure Bieber and Katy Perry will perform :rolleyes:

But I figure they'll want to have a "token" rock act also perform, so they could put Muse on, but since Arcade Fire is up for Album of the Year, they might go with them instead.

They could have Mumford and Sons up to perform, they are up for Best New Artist. That would be so :awesome:!

OUCH Diana, that article was harsh ;):p We will have to agree to disagree. I personally liked The Suburbs and Ready to Start is amazing. Win doesn't have the voice that sticks with you or have a wide range, but that's not all that makes a song good. For some reason, the lyrics to RtS make that song 100 times better than if it was something generic and artificially produced. Anyways, this isn't the AF board so I will stfu. But I would love to discuss this with you anytime. :) we have mutual friends.

There are differing opinions, of course. That's where personal taste comes into play. A good song for most people is one that speaks to them personally. It's easy to sing as well. My negative review didn't damage them. I also admit that sometimes I have average tastes--I sorta like Bruno Mars, BoB, CeeLo, and Train.

But in order for me to be a real fan of something it has to be exceptional, like, um, Muse.

There are 109 GRAMMY categories to be awarded but I expect only about 9-10 categories to be awarded during the 3 1/2 hour televised broadcast on CBS. The other 100 awards will be announced during a three hour ceremony starting four hours before the televised event. Muse is nominated in three rock categories. At most one of these categories will be broadcast. Last year the Best Rock Album category was televised and won by Green Day, one of only three rock bands that performed during the show. Bon Jovi and Dave Matthews Band were the others. Kings of Leon won three GRAMMYs last year but did not perform.

The first GRAMMY performers for this year's awards probably won't be announced until early January, with some performers not announced until a few days before the show on February 13. I expect Eminem & Rihanna, Jay-Z & Alicia Keys, Lady Gaga, Lady Antebellum and Arcade Fire to be sure bets to perform. Mumford & Sons and/or Florence + The Machine along with fellow Best New Artist nominee Justin Bieber may also be asked to perform. Lady Antebellum sang "Need You Now" at last year's show so it would be unusual to have them perform the same song again but perhaps unavoidable because the song is nominated in two major categories this year.

GRAMMY trivia:

Rock bands with most wins in all categories

U2 is the band that has won the most GRAMMYs with 22, followed by the Beatles and Metallica with 8 each, Coldplay with 7, Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers, the Police and the Eagles with 6 each, and Radiohead and Green Day with 4 each. Pearl Jam and Linkin Park have been nominated multiple times but have won only a couple awards each.

Best Rock Album (Muse is nominated in this category)

The GRAMMY award for Best Rock Album was first presented to the band The Rolling Stones in 1995. The band Foo Fighters holds the record for the most wins in this category, with three. Two-time winners include Green Day and U2. Coldplay and Red Hot Chili Peppers have also won the award in this category in recent years.

I'd be surprised if Muse won any of the 3 awards they are nominated for, especially since 2/3 are against The Black Keys who have gotten a lot of hype for their last album. I think they should run away with best rock performance, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them lose. I am glad to see they are at least getting recognized by the Grammy's now.

U2, Coldplay and Radiohead performed at the 51st annual GRAMMY awards in February 2009. Coldplay won three GRAMMYs including Best Rock Album while Radiohead won Best Alternative Album and Robert Plant and Alison Krauss won Album of the Year. Last year Green Day performed and won Best Rock Album and Kings of Leon won three GRAMMYs. Could an album opening with two of the biggest rock anthems of the year "Uprising" and "Resistance" followed by a hip-hop R&B track "Undisclosed Desires" and also featuring a three part symphony and classical pieces from Chopin and Saint Saens win Best Rock Album? Stay tuned.

A good rock band line up IMHO for the 53rd annual GRAMMY awards would include Arcade Fire, Muse, and Mumford & Sons. These artists may win at least one GRAMMY each at the ceremony to be held on Sunday February 13, 2011. The two largest blocs of voters in the nearly 12,000 member Recording Academy appear to be country and pop/rock.

There have been lots of collaborations and duets highlighted recently including Lady Gaga and Elton John a year ago and Coldplay who performed with Jay-Z two years ago.

There will likely be a live stream of the non-televised portion of the 2011 GRAMMYs during which nearly 100 awards will be announced before the televised broadcast on CBS. Last year nearly 26 million watched the GRAMMYs, the biggest TV audience since 2004.

I'd be surprised if Muse won any of the 3 awards they are nominated for, especially since 2/3 are against The Black Keys who have gotten a lot of hype for their last album. I think they should run away with best rock performance, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them lose. I am glad to see they are at least getting recognized by the Grammy's now.

I have to agree about their latest albums. The previous ones weren't nearly as good as Brothers, but Muse has an uncomparable fanbase and spectacular shows. They're going to win at least one. I bet my black sheep on that. :D

Awards in 108 categories (reduced from 109) will be presented to "honor artistic achievement, technical proficiency and overall excellence in the recording industry, without regard to album sales or chart position." If Muse and Arcade Fire win GRAMMYs, it will be because of their bands' musicianship and creative output.

From GRAMMY.COM

"Grammy ballots for the final round of voting will be mailed on Dec. 15, 2010 to the voting members of The Recording Academy. They are due back to the accounting firm of Deloitte by Jan. 12, 2011, when they will be tabulated and the results will be secret until the Grammy telecast on February 13, 2011. The 53rd Annual Grammy Awards are produced by John Cossette Productions and AEG Ehrlich Ventures for The Recording Academy. Ken Ehrlich and John Cossette are executive producers, and Louis J. Horvitz is director."

Julie Andrews, Dolly Parton and The Ramones are among the recipients of this year's GRAMMY Special Merit Award for lifetime achievement by The Recording Academy. In addition, Barbra Streisand will be honoured as the MusiCares Person of the Year by The Recording Academy.

The first batch of performers at the 2011 GRAMMY ceremony should be announced in January. It has been reported that Cee Lo Green has canceled his Aussie concert appearances in February and will be attending the ceremony and possibly be performing "F**k You (Forget You)" since it is nominated in two of the general categories.

Awards in 108 categories (reduced from 109) will be presented to "honor artistic achievement' date=' technical proficiency and overall excellence in the recording industry, [i']without regard to album sales or chart position[/i]."

Oh ahhahahaha good one.

For sure, the fact that Taylor Swift won Best Album had absolutely nothing to do with her massive sales :LOL:

Oh ahhahahaha good one.

For sure, the fact that Taylor Swift won Best Album had absolutely nothing to do with her massive sales :LOL:

I am certain commercial success is one factor NARAS voters consider in deciding which albums and songs are nominated and win GRAMMYS each year. Besides "Fearless" being certified six times platinum it also generated multiple chart singles and crossed over to Top 40 pop radio and received a good Metascore of 73. Taylor Swift wrote the songs on her album and the large country bloc in the Recording Academy certainly supported her. The only things holding her back were her youth and her average singing voice in a live setting.

Artistic merit, sales, hit singles, chart position, critical acclaim, buzz, personal biases, industry hype, politics, label support, working relationships, and bloc voting may all be factors in the voting process. Also, if two or more albums or songs in the same genre are nominated in the general categories, it hurts your chances of winning.

2011 GRAMMY nominated artist albums below in various categories ranked by Metascore which is a measure of critical acclaim and artistic merit:

91 Janelle Monae

86 Arcade Fire

85 Miranda Lambert

77 Lady Gaga

72 Muse

68 Justin Bieber

65 Jay-Z

63 Lady Antebellum

62 Eminem

57 Usher

54 Susan Boyle

52 Katy Perry

All of the above nominated albums except the first one have been or will likely be certified Gold or Platinum meaning they have sold at least 500k copies.

The latest regarding announcement of performers at the 2011 GRAMMY Awards ceremony in Los Angeles on February 13:

"All of those conversations are going on in real time, and the show is literally being put together as we speak," Evan Greene, chief marketing officer from the Recording Academy, told MTV News. "Very few artists have been 100 percent confirmed."

Eminem is however featured in the NARAS Music is Life is Music promotional campaign while Katy Perry is featured on the TV commercial shown on CBS promoting the awards show. Eminem has received 10 nominations in various categories this year including Album of the Year. He has already won 11 GRAMMYs and is favoured to add a few more to his total next month. Also, Lady Gaga is almost certain to perform and possibly sing the first single from her new "Born This Way" album.

Source: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1655462/eminems-grammy-ad-about-capturing-journey.jhtml

The 2011 GRAMMY Nominees Album which hits stores on January 25 features 19 songs, only one of which can be classified as rock: "Ready to Start" from Album of the Year nominee Arcade Fire. The others are almost all pop, except the track from Miranda Lambert.

In the interest of transparency and to avoid any possible conflicts of interest, I wish the Recording Academy would release the names of those industry people on the blue ribbon panels who reviewed and apparently selected the nominees in the four general categories.

Muse have been nominated for Best Rock Album, along with four rock veterans. Among the high profile artists whose eligible albums were not shortlisted by Recording Academy voters this year were:

Bon Jovi

Them Crooked Vultures

Linkin Park

30 Seconds to Mars

Paramore

Dave Matthews Band

Alice in Chains

Slash

*SPOILER ALERT*

If you do not want to view the predictions of well known GRAMMY pundit/Yahoo web blogger/ former Billboard writer Paul Grein, do not click on the link below. Most of his predictions IMHO are spot on with a few exceptions. I think the Best New Artist and most of the rock genre categories are very competitive this year. For example, four of the rock songs nominated have hit #1 on Billboard's Alternative Songs chart including "Resistance."

The 2011 GRAMMY ballots are due from voters of the Recording Academy later this week so I expect them to announce the first batch of performers in the next ten days or so. Some performers and presenters are not announced until a few days before the actual ceremony. There should be about 18-20 performances on the show and only about ten awards will be given out during the live broadcast.

Source: http://atrl.net/forums/showthread.php?t=107297

*SPOILER ALERT*

If you do not want to view the predictions of well known GRAMMY pundit/Yahoo web blogger/ former Billboard writer Paul Grein, do not click on the link below. Most of his predictions IMHO are spot on with a few exceptions. I think the Best New Artist and most of the rock genre categories are very competitive this year. For example, four of the rock songs nominated have hit #1 on Billboard's Alternative Songs chart including "Resistance."

The 2011 GRAMMY ballots are due from voters of the Recording Academy later this week so I expect them to announce the first batch of performers in the next ten days or so. Some performers and presenters are not announced until a few days before the actual ceremony. There should be about 18-20 performances on the show and only about ten awards will be given out during the live broadcast.

Source: http://atrl.net/forums/showthread.php?t=107297

Thanks for all the updates. :D I really hope they win something.

I know that the Grammys can't be taken that seriously, but the fact that they are nominating that little twat Justin Bieber shows that they've hit a new low. He probably won't win anything, but they are just putting him there to get high ratings from the tween demographic.

As far as Muse goes, I'd much rather see them perform than win. Does anyone know?

Eminem and Miranda Lambert have also been confirmed as performers to be likely joined by Katy Perry and Ce Lo Green. Their reps leaked this to various media sources.

An official announcement from NARAS/The Recording Academy of these and other confirmed performers will be made on Thursday January 13. Several nominees in the four general categories are likely to be on this early list. More performers will probably be announced in early February.

Archived