I thought The Suburbs was pretty shit tbh, but Arcade Fire are alright.

Neon Bible and Funeral are better albums IMO and both received Grammy nominations for Best Alternative Album but lost to Radiohead and the White Stripes, respectively. The Suburbs along with Contra by Vampire Weekend will probably be nominated in the same category for the 2011 Grammys and The Suburbs may possibly get a major AOTY nomination as well according to music industry prognosticators. AF are a great live act just like Muse. Critics love them. By the way, Phoenix won the Grammy for Best Alternative Album a year ago.

NOTE: The ballots have already been submitted by voting members of the Recording Academy but some of the select blue ribbon panels are meeting this month to review the nominations, especially in the major categories.

Arguments for nominating The Resistance in one or more GRAMMY categories using the following criteria:

Commercial success.

Album certified Gold. Very few rock albums sell 500k copies these days. The first single "Uprising" was also certified Gold. Muse now have three consecutive Gold certified albums in their repertoire and two gold singles.

Popularity

Four charted singles on the Modern Rock songs radio airplay chart in 2010 including no. 1s "Uprising" and "Resistance." Muse is likely to be named Billboard Alternative Rock Artist of the Year for 2010 and both tracks will be ranked among the most popular singles for 2010 in that genre. The first single also crossed over to Mainstream Rock, Triple A and Adult Top 40 radio formats and spent 20 weeks on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.

Critical acclaim

Mostly favourable reviews. Check Metacritic for details.

Oeuvre

The band's body of work including the four earlier albums is brilliant and has received critical accolades on par or even better than TR. Muse has never been nominated for a GRAMMY. The band has paid its dues and some make-good recognition is warranted.

Live Act Reputation

Only a very few acts can sell out two nights at stadiums like Wembley and Stade de France and arenas like the Staples Center and attract huge crowds at festivals such as Coachella, Austin City Limits, and Glastonbury. The 2009-10 world tour generated grosses of over $100 million including approx $25 million in North America.

Reminder: The 2011 GRAMMY nominations will be announced on CBS Wednesday evening December 1.

My predictions of the artists who will be nominated in various GRAMMY categories below:

Rock Album

1. Pearl Jam

2. Them Crooked Vultures

3. Muse

4. Linkin Park

5. Mumford & Sons

It is possible a veteran artist like Tom Petty or Neil Young may take a nomination from one of the above acts. Green Day, Coldplay, Foo Fighters and Red Hot Chili Peppers have won the Grammy in this category the last four years, respectively.

Alternative Album

1. Arcade Fire

2. Vampire Weekend

3. Black Keys

4. Gorillaz

5. MGMT

Phoenix won the Grammy last year in this category while Radiohead did the same two years ago.

Album of the Year

1. Eminem (Best selling album - Overdue recognition in the General Field - Rap genre)

2. Sade (R&B genre)

3. Miranda Lambert (CMA Album of the Year)

4. Arcade Fire (Critical acclaim - Rock genre)

5. Michael Buble (Pop genre)

Contenders:

6. Lady Antebellum (Best selling country album but Miranda Lambert got better reviews)

7. Carole King/James Taylor (Popular tour but songs are from 1971)

8. Jay-Z (Overdue recognition in the General Field)

9. Lady Gaga (Hit singles but it's an EP)

10. Rihanna (Hit singles)

11. Pearl Jam (Overdue recognition for a great live veteran act)

12. Muse (Overdue recognition for a great live relatively new act)

Taylor Swift won the Grammy for AOTY a year ago while Dave Matthew Band got the rock genre nomination in this category.

NOTE: Every artist who has won an American Music Award for Favorite Alternative Rock Artist since 1995 has been nominated for at least one GRAMMY. Linkin Park has won AMA's in this category four times while Green Day, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam and Creed have each won this award twice. LP, GD, RHCP and PJ have also each won GRAMMY awards.

As much as I want Muse to win a grammy, I don't think TR deserves it. In my opinion it's their worst and least progressive album. I like it, but I don't think they gave it all they got. It sounds really big and monumental, but more than it actually is. I think they used this album to get to a wider scale of listeners, and that their next album will be much more thought-through. So I would wait.

As much as I want Muse to win a grammy, I don't think TR deserves it. In my opinion it's their worst and least progressive album. I like it, but I don't think they gave it all they got. It sounds really big and monumental, but more than it actually is. I think they used this album to get to a wider scale of listeners, and that their next album will be much more thought-through. So I would wait.

Although you think it's their worst album (your opinion, mine is Showbiz...whatever!) it's still a lot better than most of the tripe out there. As far as uberly high most Muse fans hold them, they wanted to be recognized in Americal. Look at the crap we come out with. The more commercial the better. The less talented the easier to digest. The flashier you are the more recognized you get! Examples are: Lady Gaga, yea, shes a great performer, but man, what an attention whore. Someone was ignored as a child! Katy Perry, same story except with more sex appeal and horrible horrible live perfomances. Keshia, bargain basement talent with a good beat. At least Muse is still different sounding than everything else and try as I may, I do NOT get the appeal of 500 strong member Arcade Fire. Overrated in my opinion.

Sadly, if you don't live in America, you aren't going to understand why The Resistance is the album that is getting recognition. Absolution, technically, was the first album released here. Showbiz got swept under the rug and OOS was never released here until 2005. No Plug In Baby, no Newborn or Bliss. If that album had been released and PIB played on regular rotation on Alternative radio w/ a tour, The Resistance would have sounded completely different.

So, as much as I understand every European complaining about this album being recognized by Grammys, AMAs Billboard and such, I think that maybe we should just be happy for them finally reaching their goal of global domination and patiently wait for their next album, which I'm sure will be thought through and well balanced. :happy::musesign:

Although you think it's their worst album (your opinion, mine is Showbiz...whatever!) it's still a lot better than most of the tripe out there. As far as uberly high most Muse fans hold them, they wanted to be recognized in Americal. Look at the crap we come out with. The more commercial the better. The less talented the easier to digest. The flashier you are the more recognized you get! Examples are: Lady Gaga, yea, shes a great performer, but man, what an attention whore. Someone was ignored as a child! Katy Perry, same story except with more sex appeal and horrible horrible live perfomances. Keshia, bargain basement talent with a good beat. At least Muse is still different sounding than everything else and try as I may, I do NOT get the appeal of 500 strong member Arcade Fire. Overrated in my opinion.

Sadly, if you don't live in America, you aren't going to understand why The Resistance is the album that is getting recognition. Absolution, technically, was the first album released here. Showbiz got swept under the rug and OOS was never released here until 2005. No Plug In Baby, no Newborn or Bliss. If that album had been released and PIB played on regular rotation on Alternative radio w/ a tour, The Resistance would have sounded completely different.

So, as much as I understand every European complaining about this album being recognized by Grammys, AMAs Billboard and such, I think that maybe we should just be happy for them finally reaching their goal of global domination and patiently wait for their next album, which I'm sure will be thought through and well balanced. :happy::musesign:

+1

And ... the Grammys have *nothing* to do with an album "deserving" it. Not a blessed thing.

Kid A? OK Computer? The Downward Spiral? The Fragile? Thriller? Lot's of great albums.

TDS and Fragile were nominated, but actually Trent only has two grammy wins under his belt, both in the mid-90's and both for best metal performance for the singles "Wish" and "Happiness in Slavery." Metal. :LOL:

Ghosts I-IV was so deserving of the Best Boxed Set category nomination a couple years ago.

I'm sure Muse will get nominated this year (Rock or Alternative.. maybe Album of the year, but I doubt it). They have a good chance of winning, too.

Amen! :musesign:

The Resistance

Soldier of Love

Revolution

Recovery

The Suburbs

It is possible all of the above albums will be nominated and win GRAMMYS in various album genre categories at the 2011 GRAMMY Awards. However, you can't win if you are not nominated.

"Fear and panic in the air..The paranoia is in bloom."

"War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength...Greed is Good."

Global economic crises. Wall Street fat cats and corporate investment bankers. Excessive risk taking. Exotic financial instruments. Huge bonuses for hedge fund managers. Perpetual war. DHS surveillance. Corrupt politicians. Media manipulation and propaganda. We live in interesting times.

The Resistance

Soldier of Love

Revolution

Recovery

The Suburbs

It is possible all of the above albums will be nominated and win GRAMMYS in various album genre categories at the 2011 GRAMMY Awards. However, you can't win if you are not nominated.

"Fear and panic in the air..The paranoia is in bloom."

"War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength...Greed is Good."

Global economic crises. Wall Street fat cats and corporate investment bankers. Excessive risk taking. Exotic financial instruments. Huge bonuses for hedge fund managers. Perpetual war. DHS surveillance. Corrupt politicians. Media manipulation and propaganda. We live in interesting times.

So cool! You forgot Plastic Beach :)

Just found this...

Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals:

"Ready To Start" — Arcade Fire

"I Put A Spell On You" — Jeff Beck & Joss Stone

"Tighten Up" — The Black Keys

"Radioactive" — Kings Of Leon

"Resistance" — Muse

Best Rock Song:

"Angry World" — Neil Young, songwriter (Neil Young)

"Little Lion Man" — Ted Dwane, Ben Lovett, Marcus Mumford & Country Winston, songwriters (Mumford & Sons)

"Radioactive" — Caleb Followill, Jared Followill, Matthew Followill & Nathan Followill, songwriters (Kings Of Leon)

"Resistance" — Matthew Bellamy, songwriter (Muse)

"Tighten Up" — Dan Auerbach & Patrick Carney, songwriter (The Black Keys)

:awesome:...?

(it was posted on a country music blog :shifty:)

Before they announced the songs of the year they were showing snipits of artists and Muse was one of them!! I think they said that 5 would be new, so Muse might be nominated!

I think they were showing that Muse was considered for a nomination, but then they already announced the 5 songs that got the nomination... and no luck for the guys yet :(

But I'm not giving up hope :LOL:

EDIT:

Just found this...

Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals:

"Ready To Start" — Arcade Fire

"I Put A Spell On You" — Jeff Beck & Joss Stone

"Tighten Up" — The Black Keys

"Radioactive" — Kings Of Leon

"Resistance" — Muse

Best Rock Song:

"Angry World" — Neil Young, songwriter (Neil Young)

"Little Lion Man" — Ted Dwane, Ben Lovett, Marcus Mumford & Country Winston, songwriters (Mumford & Sons)

"Radioactive" — Caleb Followill, Jared Followill, Matthew Followill & Nathan Followill, songwriters (Kings Of Leon)

"Resistance" — Matthew Bellamy, songwriter (Muse)

"Tighten Up" — Dan Auerbach & Patrick Carney, songwriter (The Black Keys)

:awesome:...?

(it was posted on a country music blog :shifty:)

Oooooh! :awesome: I wonder how they found this out ahead of time :LOL: I will wait til I see it to believe it though :p

You put into words what i never could sir. Wouldn't life be better if all of us in the states were European.

EDIT:

Oooooh! :awesome: I wonder how they found this out ahead of time :LOL: I will wait til I see it to believe it though :p

Seems to have been posted about 10mins ago... it's the only place I've seen things, I don't know if they are supposed to be kept secret and these people released them early or what? Maybe it's wrong :unsure:

Seems to have been posted about 10mins ago... it's the only place I've seen things, I don't know if they are supposed to be kept secret and these people released them early or what? Maybe it's wrong :unsure:

So far it matches-up with the nominees they've announced already! :awesome: I think it might be legit!

(Seriously though. I think TR should have been nominated though :supersad: But I'm not complaining :LOL: 2 nominations is awesome! Even though I'm doubtful of whether or not they'd win, getting nominated is such a huge deal! :happy: I'm so proud they're finally getting some recognition over here! :D)

So far it matches-up with the nominees they've announced already! :awesome: I think it might be legit!

(Seriously though. I think TR should have been nominated though :supersad: But I'm not complaining :LOL: 2 nominations is awesome! Even though I'm doubtful of whether or not they'd win, getting nominated is such a huge deal! :happy: I'm so proud they're finally getting some recognition over here! :D)

I'm thinking it's legit because of that, and why would a country music blog randomly guess songs in other genres? :unsure:

We'll see soon enough... I just turned it on... oh dear god in heaven... justin bieber is next? I'm turning it back off :LOL:

EDIT:

What categories are they announcing? Are they announcing any of the Rock ones? :unsure:

so they are nominated? i just don't feel like enduring more of this beiber infested shit. :LOL: i'd rather just know now.

:shifty:

see my spoiler above :shifty:

Archived