Will muse ever go back to guitar driven music as opposed to synth orientated music?

henners

I think you guys who keep on hawking about OoS and Showbiz need to think about what would happen if what you want happened. If they made another OoS, it would be just that, another OoS. A million bands can make the same album over and over, but thats not Muse. With the exception of UD, I really enjoyed BHAR and The Resistance. Absolution is still my favorite album, but the last two albums are better IMO than the first two albums. As long as they don't make a pop album, which I still don't ever see them doing, they are always going to change their styles, and thats what makes them a good band. I would like to see Muse go away from the synth, but go on to something else different which they haven't done before. Maybe African tribal music or something... I can just picture a version of USoE with chanting and drums

I say new direction but ditch the symphonic stuff a bit, however good it sounds, half of it is plagiarized, like the end of USoE is a piece of Chopin, surely they can do better than that. And the mid-section of IBTY is basically stolen as well. I love the piano solos and stuff but I love the three piece sound, so my view is advance musically but try to do it in a way so that they don't turn into pop, which is basically what Uprising and UD are.

I say new direction but ditch the symphonic stuff a bit, however good it sounds, half of it is plagiarized, like the end of USoE is a piece of Chopin, surely they can do better than that. And the mid-section of IBTY is basically stolen as well. I love the piano solos and stuff but I love the three piece sound, so my view is advance musically but try to do it in a way so that they don't turn into pop, which is basically what Uprising and UD are.

I don't imagine them doing as much classical in an album again, but that was because of Exogenesis. And I agree with the sampling, because I hate the whole 30H3! Feat Ke$ha song thing, but at least he was sampling things from hundreds of years ago.

But just because Uprising is popular doesn't mean its evil pop, its just wicked catchy. Its nice to have a song to play that non-musers will recognize instantly.

It's credited so it isn't plagiarized. That's the same like saying that Feeling Good was plagiarized.

Muse don't make "synth" music and if you listen to OOS, there's synths on New Born, Bliss, Space Dementia, Plug In Baby, Citizen Erased, Micro Cuts, Screenager, possingly Dark Shines & Megalomania.

Muse stopped being a "3-piece" the day they released Absolution.

And why do idiots assume synths & sampling = pop? these people need to shut the fuck up.

Muse don't make "synth" music and if you listen to OOS, there's synths on New Born, Bliss, Space Dementia, Plug In Baby, Citizen Erased, Micro Cuts, Screenager, possingly Dark Shines & Megalomania.

And why do idiots assume synths & sampling = pop? these people need to shut the fuck up.

Too much truths.

Muse have been using synthesizers since OoS.

Infact, you could even say that more OoS songs use synthesizers than TR...

alright alright calm down, if you'd cared to read the thread i changed it from 'synth' to orchestral.

alright alright calm down, if you'd cared to read the thread i changed it from 'synth' to orchestral.

Even then it makes little sense.

Apart from Showbiz, no album since then has been completely guitar driven and all have been predominately guitar driven.

Even then it makes little sense.

Apart from Showbiz, no album since then has been completely guitar driven and all have been predominately guitar driven.

you genuinely think that OoS was as orchestral as the resistance?

you genuinely think that OoS was as orchestral as the resistance?

I just believe are mostly repeating themselves and reusing ideas & influences in their music and little new has been added.

Muse did experiment with strings on OOS, but didn't end up using them.

If Muse went into a studio now and tried to recreate OOS as closely as they could, it would sound different.

Here's what I think is pretty much going on with Muse

In Showbiz, they broke out with a basic three-piece band singing and playing about dark, angsty emotions. Not really much backing tracks, synth, orchestral elements, etc. if any(?). Guitar, bass, drums, piano. That was about it.

In Origin of Symmetry, they experimented with synth, backing tracks, and got a bit darker. Many people say this is their favorite album, although songs (New Born, Space Dementia, Bliss, Screenager) feature similar "synthy" backing tracks (although in my opinion they are less prominent than in the last two albums).

In Absolution, they started to venture into a quieter heavy sound if that makes any sense. Electronic elements were toned down, and I can't hear much backing or synth at all. In my opinion, they really went all out with little assistance in their music.

Black Holes and Revelations was definitely a turning point for Muse. They brought synth/backing tracks into prominence (Take a Bow, Knights of Cydonia, Map of the Problematique, and a few others where it wasn't as prominent) although I think they used these elements appropriately. They did go softer, more down-to-earth, and seemed to get a little more touchy-feely, more personal (Starlight, Invincible, Hoodoo). I didn't really mind it, though. As long as the passion was still there, which I could sense it was.

The Resistance was really an "icing on the cake" for some people. Muse had been performing under their standards around the time of it's release, and fans seemed anxious for a great album. What they got was great, just not in Muse's realm. Songs like Uprising, Resistance, Undisclosed Desires and Guiding Light were obviously more commercialized than what Muse fans had received before, but people still embraced the music. They tried. "Exogenesis a masterpiece". "MK Ultra is a great rock song; it goes back to their OoS days." "Muse is only experimenting, discovering different genres in their music. This is good for them." Only the problem was, it didn't work for them as well as they probably wanted it to. Muse got more publicity and seemed to like it, which people also did not like (I still don't get why). On top of that, their concerts were not up to par. They failed to deliver the experience that Muse had previously encountered. This had started around 2007, though.

What I'm saying is that Muse is growing up, growing softer and moving away from OoS.

Maybe I'm wrong. Please try to convince me, I hope you can for my sake.

Muse, the dub step years.

:vomit:

+1

In Absolution, they started to venture into a quieter heavy sound if that makes any sense. Electronic elements were toned down, and I can't hear much backing or synth at all. In my opinion, they really went all out with little assistance in their music.

Whilst synthesizers aren't used on every song, when they are used, it's more heavily prominent compared to OOS, so rather than filling in the background, synthesizers are used for lead/melody lines, such as in Time Is Running Out & Hysteria and in songs like Stockholm Syndrome, the guitar is morphing between being a guitar and a synthesizer during the solo, as well as what's going on in the chorus and there's a experiments with sampling and audio processing which hadn't happened previously by Muse.

And actually, backing tracks live went up considerably from just Bliss during the OOS tour, so I don't know about the "they really went all out with little assistance in their music" as they really needed to get Morgan involved earlier and get away from the 3-piece charade.

To make this clear: When I asked yesterday in this thread if we really need the synth background in New born, I was only referring to the live versions. In my opinion MUSE shall do whatever they want in their studio recordings, but playing live is, in my opinion still, becoming more and more - well, choreographied in a way. That may be necessary for the newer songs (as well as Morgan is now necessary), but it just isn't for the older ones and it doesn't make them sound any better. They have lost that direct way of just coming on stage as they are and playing their brilliant songs without caring too much about anything else but their music (and I don't only mean that because of the silly glasses Matt is now wearing during Uprising or because of their costumes etc). They are still amazing and uncomparable to see and to hear live, only have they a bit lost that former attitude, and I don't think that can be explained enough by saying that they are just growing older. Coming back to the New born question, I think in that song it is particularly sad that Morgan is now playing the intro, because that special tension between the moment when Matt left the piano and the moment he played the first guitar note is simply lost now that he's standing on the front of the stage since the beginning (even then when he's not standing on a tower...). And I want to say something more: I don't want them in any way to go back to OoS-style-songs. I just think that they are now so big (in every way), that the only way for them to get even bigger would be: to get "smaller" again.

1. Destiny's Child were a great band and you just can't compare them to Muse as the music is completely different.

2. I think Kesha has NO talent. Just another tabloid "wanna-be-rocker-girl-who-sings".

3. Bands have to grow in this buisness. The Resistance is a very good record. I'm just looking forward to the next album and hope it's a mix of every little everything. If you know what I mean... (please tell me if you don't understand my english :$ )

Off Topic: samanthrax - I love your avatar!!!!! :LOL:

As a business model they are now following what radiohead and a few other bands did.

Oh yea, and business model does not mean music, for the fucktards that won't pick up on that.

So you're saying that Abso --> BHaR = OK Computer --> Kid A?

Archived