Will muse ever go back to guitar driven music as opposed to synth orientated music?

henners

I know they are advancing, but I was wondering whether or not anybody thought they might double back on themselves and go back to the more generic style that they used to have with fewer electronics, and more guitar? Don't get me wrong, I love the new stuff, but I think more of the old would be for the best.

calm down :L to whoever was saying shut up blah blah, yeah i want to hear some of the older stuff at wembley :) would be awesome, anything from showbiz would complete my life :rolleyes: cave at the O2 was awesome :D aah i miss that music, but i do love MK ultra, so so much.

calm down :L to whoever was saying shut up blah blah, yeah i want to hear some of the older stuff at wembley :) would be awesome, anything from showbiz would complete my life :rolleyes: cave at the O2 was awesome :D aah i miss that music, but i do love MK ultra, so so much.

I never said anything about Ke$ha :noey:

More seriously now.

I'm interested to hear what people mean by "synth oriented". What songs, specifically, do they have in mind?

for me it's like a comparison between say- hyper music kind of thing and undisclosed desires/uprising. i guess it's more symphonic than synthy on the whole, but It's like they are needing more and more help on stage to play the material if you know what I mean, with morgan helping out and that kinda thing, i just wondered if they would ever be able to pull of the live show like they used to, just the three of them with less background synth and orchestra.

for me it's like a comparison between say- hyper music kind of thing and undisclosed desires/uprising. i guess it's more symphonic than synthy on the whole, but It's like they are needing more and more help on stage to play the material if you know what I mean, with morgan helping out and that kinda thing, i just wondered if they would ever be able to pull of the live show like they used to, just the three of them with less background synth and orchestra.

See now that makes more sense now you add that qualifier because every time I hear the "synthy" tag I always hear it in relation to Undisclosed Desires - people doing so without realising there is actually very little synth involved in that song (a few effects but not a lot).

However, and here's the kicker - that song would probably still work (maybe even work better!) if Matt ditched the string parts and played them all on piano with well-played light staccato. Not ever seen him play like that, but it would probably sound quite nice and certainly a skill he needs if he wants to describe himself as a pianist.

And Uprising - well, yeah, that's a straight up-and-down pop song. There's no two ways about it.

Creep.

Should've seen this one coming :LOL:

See now that makes more sense now you add that qualifier because every time I hear the "synthy" tag I always hear it in relation to Undisclosed Desires - people doing so without realising there is actually very little synth involved in that song (a few effects but not a lot).

However, and here's the kicker - that song would probably still work (maybe even work better!) if Matt ditched the string parts and played them all on piano with well-played light staccato. Not ever seen him play like that, but it would probably sound quite nice and certainly a skill he needs if he wants to describe himself as a pianist.

And Uprising - well, yeah, that's a straight up-and-down pop song. There's no two ways about it.

the lyrics are pretty...alternative to be fair to him. Yeah i agree with all of that, I liked the simplicity of them being able to make a huge noise as a 3 piece band with out all of the other little bits here and there, everyone has an opinion though and i don't dislike the new music by any means, i think there's better to come though.

But that's my point - UD can be played as a 3-piece band. Sure it wouldn't sound huge in scale, but it would sound much more natural and quirky IMO and feel less manufactured than the way it currently is now, where they may as well lipsync.

I know they are advancing, but I was wondering whether or not anybody thought they might double back on themselves and go back to the more generic style that they used to have with fewer electronics, and more guitar? Don't get me wrong, I love the new stuff, but I think more of the old would be for the best.

Hi,

I agree with you. I really do love Resistance (the album), even more than BH&R, lyrics and music equally (and even artwork and merch stuff). And yet sometimes I can't help missing "the old" Muse... at least, we have the "old" dvds and cds... To be honest I think that they even need to "pull back" a bit if they don't want to be traitors to themselves and if they want to stay authentic (isn't that what we love(d) so much about them?). All this evolution talk is fine and fair, but I must admit that I do fear they are losing touch with where they came from. Don't get me wrong: I'm ready to let myself be convinced by the opposite, but I think that they cannot really move forward in the direction they have taken since BH&R without becoming conventional. They need to do something totally unexpected now, like, let's say, recording an acoustic album (oh, that would be great, remember the acoustic versions of "Hate this..." or SfA for example...).

And with all due respect to Morgan, I would much prefer hearing the older songs without him. Shame already that Matt isn't playing the piano part in New born anymore, but do we really need that synth part in the background of that song? I would not mind at all if Morgan would just leave the stage for some songs and just come back for others, where he is really needed.

By the way, henners, good thread! (even if it's a wee bit off topic sometimes...;))

Cheers:)

Hi,

I agree with you. I really do love Resistance (the album), even more than BH&R, lyrics and music equally (and even artwork and merch stuff). And yet sometimes I can't help missing "the old" Muse... at least, we have the "old" dvds and cds... To be honest I think that they even need to "pull back" a bit if they don't want to be traitors to themselves and if they want to stay authentic (isn't that what we love(d) so much about them?). All this evolution talk is fine and fair, but I must admit that I do fear they are losing touch with where they came from. Don't get me wrong: I'm ready to let myself be convinced by the opposite, but I think that they cannot really move forward in the direction they have taken since BH&R without becoming conventional. They need to do something totally unexpected now, like, let's say, recording an acoustic album (oh, that would be great, remember the acoustic versions of "Hate this..." or SfA for example...).

And with all due respect to Morgan, I would much prefer hearing the older songs without him. Shame already that Matt isn't playing the piano part in New born anymore, but do we really need that synth part in the background of that song? I would not mind at all if Morgan would just leave the stage for some songs and just come back for others, where he is really needed.

By the way, henners, good thread! (even if it's a wee bit off topic sometimes...;))

Cheers:)

thank you! :D it's my first decent thread ;) i hope there isn't another one out there like it, but yeah everything you said there i agree with. Apparently at one point they were re-writing all of their old material in a jazz style, whilst they were recording BH&R- if they went jazzy i wouldn't complain in the slightest :L. But yeah Absolution, for me was the peak of genius, and nothing beats songs like Stockholm Syndrome. I didn't even listen to them back when that was released but now I know everything about all their music and influences, own most b-sides, and all their albums so :) I think they should just do something to help themselves get a grip again, I mean all these new shows are very impressive but I think they should just play a few small gigs with the old material so show themselves how great that really was! Cheers AT :)

I think you guys who keep on hawking about OoS and Showbiz need to think about what would happen if what you want happened. If they made another OoS, it would be just that, another OoS. A million bands can make the same album over and over, but thats not Muse. With the exception of UD, I really enjoyed BHAR and The Resistance. Absolution is still my favorite album, but the last two albums are better IMO than the first two albums. As long as they don't make a pop album, which I still don't ever see them doing, they are always going to change their styles, and thats what makes them a good band. I would like to see Muse go away from the synth, but go on to something else different which they haven't done before. Maybe African tribal music or something... I can just picture a version of USoE with chanting and drums

Archived