I try to explain it, though my english isn't the best: it's like Hate this band and I will love you or Hate this city / man / woman / whatever and I' love you.

But why? Also they lyric don't apper to suggest that. But mabey that just me, mabey I should try to look into the lyrics more.

I'm not sure. Sometimes the title of the song does not fit with the lyrics...

I think the coda of "Citizen Erased" might be one of the saddest things I've ever heard. It's just the sound of that drone going behind piano chords that are somehow both very uplifting and incredibly lonely... really gets me every time.

Exogenesis Part 3: Redemption

I love this song, the melody is beautiful but so sad... :supersad:

I've noticed how a lot of the main choices for "sad songs" are from the first three albums.

However, the entire Resistance album strikes me as being very sad. Although not a concept album, it seems to revolve around two themes: the (quite obvious) movement against some large imposing force, and then the story of two lovers caught in the middle of it.

The album begins with five tracks of energetic pomp and excitement, as though the movement that the title brings to mind gets off to a successful start. But then things begin to take a very tragic turn; the reality-check that is Unnatural Selection and the stark terror of MK Ultra are proof of this. I Belong to You is the final goodbye between the lovers before the final, fantastically epic battle that takes up the first two movements of the Exogenesis Symphony. Finally, the album ends with Redemption, a bittersweet beauty that suggests that the resistance is over, but not without heavy prices paid and heartbreak suffered.

In all seriousness, this album brings to mind for me none other than the tale of Les Miserables.

The album is not a happy one, and although Muse have never exactly been cheery (ballads such as "Starlight" being a few exceptions), this album strikes a particularly tragic chord with me because there actually seems to be a new level of depth behind it's angst. Rather than simply playing the woe-is-me card as they have in the past, Matt and Co. have pushed beyond themselves to create a grand epic that, if you look at it the right way, will break your heart.

I've noticed how a lot of the main choices for "sad songs" are from the first three albums.

However, the entire Resistance album strikes me as being very sad. Although not a concept album, it seems to revolve around two themes: the (quite obvious) movement against some large imposing force, and then the story of two lovers caught in the middle of it.

The album begins with five tracks of energetic pomp and excitement, as though the movement that the title brings to mind gets off to a successful start. But then things begin to take a very tragic turn; the reality-check that is Unnatural Selection and the stark terror of MK Ultra are proof of this. I Belong to You is the final goodbye between the lovers before the final, fantastically epic battle that takes up the first two movements of the Exogenesis Symphony. Finally, the album ends with Redemption, a bittersweet beauty that suggests that the resistance is over, but not without heavy prices paid and heartbreak suffered.

In all seriousness, this album brings to mind for me none other than the tale of Les Miserables.

The album is not a happy one, and although Muse have never exactly been cheery (ballads such as "Starlight" being a few exceptions), this album strikes a particularly tragic chord with me because there actually seems to be a new level of depth behind it's angst. Rather than simply playing the woe-is-me card as they have in the past, Matt and Co. have pushed beyond themselves to create a grand epic that, if you look at it the right way, will break your heart.

Wow. Ive never thought of The Resistance like that :(

Wow. Ive never thought of The Resistance like that :(

Wow. Me neither. Hear the songs in a whole new way now.

Saddest songs are Falling Away With You, Falling Down and Endlessly. And Hoodoo. Wow, that's a depressing one.

• 1 month later...

Exogenesis Part 3: Redemption or Sing for Absolution. I remember listening to those on a 1 hour bus trip home after a 4+ hour flight from a school trip. I couldn't keep myself from crying. Luckily, it was silent and most of the people were asleep.

I don't find Starlight cheery at all. I mean, "This ship is taking me far away from the memories of the people who care if I live or die." Really? Cheery? And look at the rest of the lyrics... that song's depressing.

I'm going to say MoTP for saddest song though.

I don't find Starlight cheery at all. I mean, "This ship is taking me far away from the memories of the people who care if I live or die." Really? Cheery? And look at the rest of the lyrics... that song's depressing.

I'm going to say MoTP for saddest song though.

I always insist that Map is a very sad song, and people are always like WUT. Come on. "I can't get it right since I met you. When will this loneliness be over?" How is that NOT sad?

Hyper Chondriac Music.

End of discussion:)

This. No question. And I love it. Brilliantly sad.

I find Escape to be profoundly sad as well. Blackout, Falling Away With You, Sing For Absolution (sort of forlorn), Exo III, Citizen Erased (especially the end "Wash me away ..."), Shine ... I'm sure I'm missing some. I love the sad ones. Probably because I've had a really hard time with depression the past two years (and now), and sad music kind of puts it in a measure I can handle. I don't know how to explain it. Most people I know say when they're down, they listen to upbeat music. I like to tackle my depression with music I can relate to ... depressing music.

Another sad one to me, but also one that makes me smile, is Unintended. Sad since it makes me think of someone I blew my chance with because I didn't realize how much I liked him until it was too late, but comforting because it makes me imagine I'll find someone else in the same way, unexpectedly. It makes me want to keep trying.:happy:

Archived