How would you rate Neutron Star Collision  

939 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Neutron Star Collision

It's weak. Just because a song is listenable doesn't mean it's good or even ok. As a song from one of the most awesome rock bands ever, it's pathetic and watered down for mass appeal. Sure, there are a couple of brief sections of several seconds that are nice but you have to be trying pretty hard to make a song that was terrible throughout so I put those down to statistical flukes :p. 0/5.

Yeah, I bet it was an 8-minute riffy metal-monster before Twilight came along.

I'm just fucking sick of this stupid argument with people hating those who love the song. Very few of you seem to actually rate the song, you just go: "Pop song? Sucks. Makes Muse pop? Sucks. For Twilight? Sucks."

It's all just "it's not OoS" arguments in disguise.

Take the song for what it's meant to be: A funny, quirky love song, and it's not that bad!

Everyone seems to hate the song for any other reason than it being bad.

no, it wasn't anything, but it certainly wouldn't have been made up of TR offcuts, which is the point being made which you're conveniently trying to avoid.

I have no problem with people who like it. I may question what level of taste they have, but more power to them. However, whenever people come in here with an opinion of Muse that isn't fawning over EVERY FUCKING THING, then we have people descending on us in a manner that you are now. It seems that you can't not like a muse song for any reason at all, lest you get accusations that you don't like it because "it's not OoS" (Addendum. OoS is my joint second favourite as an album alongside TR and behind Abso) Heck, I was making valid points, and your responses have been both confrontational and condescending in the extreme

They - did - not - write - it - for - Twilight - dammit.

Your point?

He didn't just write the lyrics last year, and then slapped some instruments on there a month ago.

Switch on the radio then.

Main Muse are the first to cry victimisation to the staff when they get a reaction like that in banter, but as a subsection, it seems all too happy to do the same thing. It fucking reeks of hypocrisy

I don't hate it because "it's not OoS", I can't stand it because it's the most incoherent fucking mess of a song I have heard in a long time.

It's weak. Just because a song is listenable doesn't mean it's good or even ok. As a song from one of the most awesome rock bands ever, it's pathetic and watered down for mass appeal. Sure, there are a couple of brief sections of several seconds that are nice but you have to be trying pretty hard to make a song that was terrible throughout so I put those down to statistical flukes :p. 0/5.

Even though I like the song, I have to agree to a point.

Sounds like a reject from The Resistance.

Actually no they haven't taken a new direction:

1. Matt wrote this when he broke up, therefore the apparent direction is not representative of potential future Muse releases.

2. Muse's new direction was The Resistance. It's more or less like a Resistance song in style, instrumentals and themes.

That's exactly what I meant. I don't like The Resistance nor NSC.

no, it wasn't anything, but it certainly wouldn't have been made up of TR offcuts, which is the point being made which you're conveniently trying to avoid.

I have no problem with people who like it. I may question what level of taste they have, but more power to them. However, whenever people come in here with an opinion of Muse that isn't fawning over EVERY FUCKING THING, then we have people descending on us in a manner that you are now. It seems that you can't not like a muse song for any reason at all, lest you get accusations that you don't like it because "it's not OoS" (Addendum. OoS is my joint second favourite as an album alongside TR and behind Abso) Heck, I was making valid points, and your responses have been both confrontational and condescending in the extreme

Main Muse are the first to cry victimisation to the staff when they get a reaction like that in banter, but as a subsection, it seems all too happy to do the same thing. It fucking reeks of hypocrisy

I don't hate it because "it's not OoS", I can't stand it because it's the most incoherent fucking mess of a song I have heard in a long time.

You have to know that I'm not at all mad at you, and most posts I've made and whatever anger they may have contained were rarely aimed at anyone in particular.

I'm just annoyed and frustrated with this whole thing is all.

As for the music, I'm not at all trying to avoid anything, I just don't agree that it was just quickly tossed together.

And you'd do better not to question my taste in music! :p

You have to know that I'm not at all mad at you, and most posts I've made and whatever anger they may have contained were rarely aimed at anyone in particular.

I'm just annoyed and frustrated with this whole thing is all.

As for the music, I'm not at all trying to avoid anything, I just don't agree that it was just quickly tossed together.

And you'd do better not to question my taste in music! :p

You gave the song 5/5. Therefore, I question your taste in music. 5/5 suggests that the song is perfect.

I don't hate it but 2/5 is generous.

love the song, 5 stars for me :happy:

love the vocals, love the guitar+piano combination and i cant wait to see this live. curious to see if matt will be at the piano or the guitar. probably guitar, but we'll see.

really pleased to have a new song that i enjoy so much :happy:

I think I like the song the more I hear it. Maybe I'm just getting used to it the more I hear it...

I don't think it's great though. Most of TR I thought was excellent and I really enjoyed hearing it for the very first time. If they get the mix right live it could redeem it though, I can imagine it sounding a lot more powerful live.

I'm just fucking sick of this stupid argument with people hating those who love the song. Very few of you seem to actually rate the song, you just go: "Pop song? Sucks. Makes Muse pop? Sucks. For Twilight? Sucks."

It's all just "it's not OoS" arguments in disguise.

Take the song for what it's meant to be: A funny, quirky love song, and it's not that bad!

Everyone seems to hate the song for any other reason than it being bad.

:facepalm:

I don't even know anything about Twilight, so couldn't give two shits about that and love great pop just as much as I love really fucking odd music that wouldn't ever find itself onto any radio station.

You're jumping to conclusions based on absolutely nothing. I do hate the song purely because it's fucking awful, just like I love UD because it's fucking awesome, that's apparently "pop" as well.

I do question your taste in music for giving it less than 2.

Now what are you gonna tell us about that ?

I'm listening to The Boatman's Call by Nick Cave right now.

Artists in my top 25 on itunes = Squarepusher, Ellen Allien, Apparat, Aphex Twin, The Avalanches, Dizzie Rascal, Gtronic, John Lee Hooker, Radiohead, Soulwax, Streamer, Bat For Lashes, Boards Of Canada, Bronstibock, Chicane, The Cooper Temple Clause, Death In Vegas, Fischerspooner, Four Tet

:)

I do question your taste in music for giving it less than 2.

Now what are you gonna tell us about that ?

I gave it 2/5 because that's about all it deserves in my opinion. It doesn't deserve 0/5 because it does have some redeeming qualities, eg Matt's voice, but to give it 5/5 is ridiculous. that suggests it's flawless, which it very much is not.

I gave it 2/5 because that's about all it deserves in my opinion. It doesn't deserve 0/5 because it does have some redeeming qualities' date=' eg Matt's voice, but to give it 5/5 is ridiculous. that suggests it's flawless, which it very much is not.[/quote']

I can't find a single reedeming feature in it at all if i' being honest

I gave it 1.5 and i openly admitted to listening to radio 1 during the day as well as listening to chemical brothers, foals, bloc party and radiohead today. Just so we're clear

The new Chemical Brothers single is amazing, been going around 20 years and still got it :happy:

Have you heard Kele from Bloc Party's solo song? That's pretty damn good as well.

I gave it 2/5 because that's about all it deserves in my opinion. It doesn't deserve 0/5 because it does have some redeeming qualities' date=' eg Matt's voice, but to give it 5/5 is ridiculous. that suggests it's flawless, which it very much is not.[/quote'] eh? :LOL:

i gave it 5/5 because right now i fucking love listening to it :LOL: in a week we will see, in a month we will see. but the poll is for now and as im LOVING it i give it the highest possible.

pml at some of the posts!

Not even Matt's voice? The bassline? The piano outro?

I just cannot see past its total incoherency, I have tried, but i just can't, other people may be able to - more power to them - but for me, the total messiness of it is all I can see

You joined 5 months ago, not 3 years.

And I'm not saying that NSC is better than those songs.

I'm judging the song in its own right, it's a quirky, energetic and fun song, that's all.

And that happens to be why I love it as well.

I joined 1 month ago...that doesn't mean I found out about muse one month ago! Maybe I just didn't use the forum and didn't check their website so much as I do now...and I can tell you I've known about them since Bliss was playing on mtv...and that's long long time ago...

And they did much better songs in the past and quality really wasn't a question...not to talk about energy and everything...sorry, this song is really missed...the lyrics, the repertoar, everything...totally trashy...they were something special, with songs like that they'll lost their plot...what is too much is too much, with that single they really went to far.

I hope their next album will be more like Origin of Simetry or Absolution or Black Holes and Revelations.

4/5

I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised. I honestly thought this was going to be Guiding Light part 2 or something. Yes, some parts are cheesy, and I absolutely hate this part:

"I was searching

You were on a mission

Then our hearts combined like

A neutron star collision"

but the chorus is very catchy, Dom's drumming is awesome, and I love how deep Matt's voice sounds.

I also like the classic:

"Hail, The preachers, fake and proud. Their doctrines will be cloud."

I bet this is going to be awesome live. (Please please please let this replace Guiding Light or Starlight :rolleyes:. But with that said, I also don't want this played at every single gig, which it probably will be)

And before anyone jumps all over me, no, I am not some Muse fangirl that loves every single thing they release. There is a whole boatload of Muse songs I do not like.

Archived