How would you rate Neutron Star Collision  

939 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Neutron Star Collision

The verses arn't great lyrics-wise. Remember on the Making Of Invincible when they all laughed at the cheesiness of Guiding Light's solo guitar? That's what they're like. But Muse can get away with it, especially for Twilight.

Meanwhile - the chorus is fantastic. It's really got feeling in it, especially when the music stirs up towards the end. Considering the nature of the song, it's bloody good.

2 stars - and that was being generous purely because its Muse.

I actually think the song is a shower of goat shit: cringe-worthy lyrics; 70s ballard comes to mind and boring, but I can hardly be surprised seeing as it reflects the absolute tosh of a film it's featured in!

I can listen to it while ignoring the lyrics, as it's not a bad song musically, imo.

I'm no fan of Twilight (was leant the dvd from someone at work, watched it all, god knows how, and hated it), but I'm not hating the song because of that, that's too closed minded.

I've just watched the video, which is ok if you take the Twilight bits out, nothing special, but what do you expect from a band that's living on the road.

All in all, I let my initial hatred calm, listened again and gave it 3/5 (although would've clicked 2.5 if there was that option). I would prefer to listen to that than Guilding Light, but I would prefer neither to be played live.

This song is clearly not up the their usual standards. I liked it at first because it's a new Muse song and it's catchy. I'm already tired of it though, there's nothing musically interesting about it. It sounds like a generic power ballad, even though they've tried to make it sound more musey by copying a few things from their previous songs.

I don't mind cheesiness, but if a song has this much cheese, the band should make it clear that they're not taking themselves seriously. There are other Muse songs that are silly and over the top, but until now I've always felt like I was laughing with the band not at them.

I give it a 2/5. It's not horrible, but I expect better from them.

Remember on the Making Of Invincible when they all laughed at the cheesiness of Guiding Light's solo guitar?

They laughed at a guitar solo three years ahead of their time? :erm:

Anyway, as a stand-alone song, I think it's decent, even if I still think that the first 15 seconds are off some kind of Disney Soundtrack. As a Muse song, though, it's a little disappointing; not up to their usual standard, and way too cheesy. I gave it 3 stars. I have a feeling this is going to age poorly.

So far it's getting 3 stars from .mu, not too bad at all. :)

Personally I liked the song and the main reason is the stunning drum beat. And how this has flashes from Plug in Baby/KoC somehow, only in a more romantic way. But for the drum beat alone and the powerful sound of the instrument here I gave the song, wow, five whole stars.

if i were in a band and our latest single was only getting a middle range rating on our official site i'd be worried. As much as people bang on about elitist haters, you'd still only expect them to at most be a loud minority. All there is to do is wait and see what happens next

if i were in a band and our latest single was only getting a middle range rating on our official site i'd be worried. As much as people bang on about elitist haters, you'd still only expect them to at most be a loud minority. All there is to do is wait and see what happens next

+1

i gave 3 and i feel like i'm being generous. there are some songs i hate more than this. i thought this song would grown on me... it kinda did the 2nd time i heard it but now i have heard for the 4th time it kinda sounds a bit annoying. i like some of the musical parts but there's a just something bugging me.

I think what it will tell them is that opinion is divided. It's not giving it a middle rating because that rating isn't unanimous.

I think what it also might tell them is that the song is too far out the Muse remit for some. I really like Soaked but that was considered outside the Muse remit. Matt said he writes stuff unsuitable for that remit and would like to have the opportunity of writing different stuff.

Perhaps on this occasion it was simply important for him to get it out there, for personal reasons, and they thought that if they Musified it they could get away with it, but some of the fans weren't having any of it and it's caused this big hoo ha. Sad.

I think what it will tell them is that opinion is divided. It's not giving it a middle rating because that rating isn't unanimous.

I think what it also might tell them is that the song is too far out the Muse remit for some. I really like Soaked but that was considered outside the Muse remit. Matt said he writes stuff unsuitable for that remit and would like to have the opportunity of writing different stuff.

Perhaps on this occasion it was simply important for him to get it out there, for personal reasons, and they thought that if they Musified it they could get away with it, but some of the fans weren't having any of it and it's caused this big hoo ha. Sad .

I have a different theory about that. I get the feeling that at some point in the future (Either before "album 6" or after its tour, there'll be a couple of years of "indefinite hiatus", not out of bad feelings or anything, but to allow matt to go down the road it appears he himself as an artist wants to go down (that is, big, orchestral, over the top), Dom'll start a side project in a manner similar to what Taylor Hawkins from the Foos has done with the Coattail Riders, and Chris'll just spend a couple of years with his family. after a few years (4, 5?), they'll all come back with a clear view of what they want to be, because at the moment, I really think that the music's serving two masters - Matt's big picture of symphonies and stuff, and Dom (and I think it may well be dom) wanting to slip into the mainstream more, with Chris sort of being in between the two, and just wanting to rock:LOL:

Archived