Hello everything, just need a recommendation on a killswitch for my guitar. I have already installed a prior one (drilled the hole and had a go with it for a while) but it is just too stiff to really be used as an extra technique (and a wire has come loose) so I can't use it really.

I want to install another switch instead of it, I mean, take that one out and put another in. I was thinking of getting a Les Paul toggle switch and wiring the middle so it cuts out the signal when in the middle position. Are Les Paul switches okay or are there better ones?

The main thing I'm looking for though is the ability to move the switch very easily as you can with Les Paul type ones, and not so much as with proper switches (too stiff). Cheers.

Basically, are Les Paul pickup selectors suitable for killswitches? Ta!

ask mansons about the switch they use, because i believe they use a particularly easy to toggle switch. if you accidently knock it while playing the middle option (out of the 3 on the switch) is the one what cuts the signal so the switch has less chance of landing in the off position, cutting out your signal. But les paul style switches. I use mine in my guitar by just turning the volume completely down on one pickup then using the pickup selector as a toggle switch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0PoidKHCQk

around 0:38 secs onwards is about the switch and 0:55 ish onwards is specifically about what i was talking about. I got most of that information from there.

I hope that helped :)

got a Kaoss pad 3 recently, does anyone know which settings matt uses with his guitars out of interest? I think the dly:9 is the setting he uses for the solo for supermassive black hole because it sounds identical. But i was more interested in how he used the pad to get the sounds like in invincible and exo-politics where the kaoss pad is acctually playing a melody, can anyone help?

ask mansons about the switch they use, because i believe they use a particularly easy to toggle switch. if you accidently knock it while playing the middle option (out of the 3 on the switch) is the one what cuts the signal so the switch has less chance of landing in the off position, cutting out your signal. But les paul style switches. I use mine in my guitar by just turning the volume completely down on one pickup then using the pickup selector as a toggle switch.

This isn't a particularly special switch, just an on/off/on. You can buy them from maplins in the UK for about £3. Killswitches are fun just make sure you wire them well (had one in a tele, no end of problems with it!)

I think Marshalls aren't all that many people crack them up to be, and certainly aren't the only good amps.

This.

there are much better amps out there than 75% of what marshall puts out now, for less money even.

some ones to check out are traynor, orange, laney, etc

id recommend mesa, but they are so overpriced it's not worth buying in the UK

Toff says Idealy, youll need 30+ watts to be heard over the bass and drums. Im not sure how much extra a 30watt version of the amp is, but im sure it will only be a relatively small amount

whats your price range? we might be able to suggest something better

Wrong. I have a 38 Watt amp and it can drown out bass and drums easily on about half. 15 Watt is easily loud enough

Wrong. I have a 38 Watt amp and it can drown out bass and drums easily on about half. 15 Watt is easily loud enough

I have a 5 watt Epiphone Valve Junior tube combo (this equates to around 15 watts solid state) and at full volume I can cut through alright, albeit with a load of natural overdrive and it isn't REALLY loud enough. The breakup does sound really nice but getting a good clean tone is pretty much impossible. In my opinion it's well worth having some extra watts, as before long you'll be wishing you had something bigger anyway. I say save a bit more and go for the 30 watt.

This.

you're going to have to push anything under 30w pretty hard to get it over the level of the drums.

I find 15W sits in the mix fine (playing with live drums, a 600w bass stack and a massive club PA) and is still relatively clean... Basically sits at the point of breakup.

What does it matter in the end? Most people now mic the amp and run through a PA anyway so you don't really need great amounts of volume. Though I love my peavey valveking 112, I defintately didn't need the full 50W. 30W is more than adequate and there are some very good amps available around that size (peavey classic, Laney LC, Fender hot rod and a new orange combo version of the tiny terror coming out)

This.

I find 15W sits in the mix fine (playing with live drums, a 600w bass stack and a massive club PA) and is still relatively clean... Basically sits at the point of breakup.

you're micing it using the PA though, right? theres no way a 15w can compete with mic'd drums. sure, 15w will be fine if you mic it well and get a decent separation.

you're micing it using the PA though, right? theres no way a 15w can compete with mic'd drums. sure, 15w will be fine if you mic it well and get a decent separation.

Oh right no, neither the amp or drums are mic'd up! When we gig, both obviously are...

Our practice setup is basically vocals/synths/drum-machines through the pa and everything else is stand-alone... Everything is mixed so you can just about hear the live drums over the electronics, so it's pretty fucking loud - I usually wear earplugs!

I think the days of high-wattage stacks are pretty much over - as long as you can keep up with an acoustic kit (and still obtain your desired tone), you're fine.

Plus small amps are easier to transport and you can always bung it in the car just-in-case for gigs with a supplied backline :D

This.

there are much better amps out there than 75% of what marshall puts out now, for less money even.

some ones to check out are traynor, orange, laney, etc

id recommend mesa, but they are so overpriced it's not worth buying in the UK

well I loved the marshall tsl100 so i'll think about going down that route. Yeh but I cant seem to find a 2nd hand orange amp which isnt just like a 30 watt 1x12, i want summin bigger than that, but with orange, to get say 100w i'll have to part with alot more cash. Yeh i'd love a mesa boogie triple rec but i dont think thats gonna happen any time soon :)

And with the kaoss pad thing, does the kp3 not have the same effects as the kp2?

Oh right no, neither the amp or drums are mic'd up! When we gig, both obviously are...

Our practice setup is basically vocals/synths/drum-machines through the pa and everything else is stand-alone... Everything is mixed so you can just about hear the live drums over the electronics, so it's pretty fucking loud - I usually wear earplugs!

I think the days of high-wattage stacks are pretty much over - as long as you can keep up with an acoustic kit (and still obtain your desired tone), you're fine.

Plus small amps are easier to transport and you can always bung it in the car just-in-case for gigs with a supplied backline :D

strange.. i have a pretty hard time keeping up with ADAM's kit with my 100W tube amp! though i do put it on half power mode, its usually on about 6 or 7. his drums are the loudest drums ive ever heard though.. haha.

actually that reminds me, one of my housemates has a drum kit we used a few times.. its not a very loud one at all (it isnt very good) and that was a much quieter practice.. guess it depends on your kit.

strange.. i have a pretty hard time keeping up with ADAM's kit with my 100W tube amp! though i do put it on half power mode, its usually on about 6 or 7. his drums are the loudest drums ive ever heard though.. haha.

actually that reminds me, one of my housemates has a drum kit we used a few times.. its not a very loud one at all (it isnt very good) and that was a much quieter practice.. guess it depends on your kit.

What amp is it? Bear in mind that my poweramp is working quite hard, I run it through a 4x12 and there is basically no headroom! I also have a bright treble/mid heavy sound as I leave the low end to the bass and synths...

This is the kit:

2417.jpg

Small but tasty :happy:

What amp is it? Bear in mind that my poweramp is working quite hard, I run it through a 4x12 and there is basically no headroom! I also have a bright treble/mid heavy sound as I leave the low end to the bass and synths...

This is the kit:

2417.jpg

Small but tasty :happy:

my amp is a JCM900 with a 2x12, i like quite a full sound, so i do have to push to get the low mids going well :)

adams kit is some pearl thingy, but with a masters sparkle snare and some loud as crap cymbals :p its by far the loudest kit ive ever heard

at school when i practice the terrilbe 10w fender amps that the school gets with the squiers cuts through the drums very well at 10, I'm guessing 15 of SS/Valve shouldn't have much problem, my 10w esp amp cuts through at 7 so i'm happy with how loud it's going to be, just now nice the amp sounds, I'll be going to test one out sometime this week ir next but any input is welcome

well I loved the marshall tsl100 so i'll think about going down that route. Yeh but I cant seem to find a 2nd hand orange amp which isnt just like a 30 watt 1x12, i want summin bigger than that, but with orange, to get say 100w i'll have to part with alot more cash. Yeh i'd love a mesa boogie triple rec but i dont think thats gonna happen any time soon :)

The TSL's aren't really good. I've heard a lot of bad things about them: delay in the channel switching, effects loop is crap, overheating on the combo versions, and they really don't sound the same as the DSL's which are amazing amps.

Laney and Traynor amps are the best bang for your buck as someone else stated. You could also look into a used Peavey 5150, although you might want to A/B it with another amp for cleans.

The TSL's aren't really good. I've heard a lot of bad things about them: delay in the channel switching, effects loop is crap, overheating on the combo versions, and they really don't sound the same as the DSL's which are amazing amps.

Laney and Traynor amps are the best bang for your buck as someone else stated. You could also look into a used Peavey 5150, although you might want to A/B it with another amp for cleans.

Interesting i was also condsidering a Marshall 2466 100W Valve head. Its only 1 channel but the high low range acts as a clean (low) and dirty (high). I've heard its possibly one of the best marshall's around. I read somewhere that you can get more tonal variety with this than you can with the tsl? Any body ever tried this amp out?

Archived