Alright thanks guys. I really appreciate it. :).

So it'll be....

Squier Black/Chrome Stratocaster - 199 pounds

Roland Micro Cube - 75 pounds

Cable/Strap/Tuner/Picks - 50 pounds

Delivery charges - 30 pounds thereabout

Looks just right. :D.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the epi sg just yet. the one you linked to is the same one that I have (not one of the cheaper models), and mine's been going strong since 2003, having only changed out the pickups for a set of bkp cold sweat earlier this year. the neck heaviness is only really a problem if you're flying up and down the neck a lot; for most normal playing it'll be fine.

also, whilst I can't comment about the squier, I tried a fender standard strat when I got my standard tele last year and I was so disappointed with the sound. it was just really muddy and indistinct, and light years away from the clarity and bite of the tele I eventually bought. in the end it depends what tone you're going for - if you want a glassy, bright sound go for the strat; if you want a thicker, darker, heavier sound, go for the epi.

if I was making this choice, the dealmaker/breaker would be how important a clean sound is to you. if it's very important, get the strat. the epi's cleans aren't that bad, but single coil pickups will almost always do it better

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the epi sg just yet. the one you linked to is the same one that I have (not one of the cheaper models), and mine's been going strong since 2003, having only changed out the pickups for a set of bkp cold sweat earlier this year. the neck heaviness is only really a problem if you're flying up and down the neck a lot; for most normal playing it'll be fine.

also, whilst I can't comment about the squier, I tried a fender standard strat when I got my standard tele last year and I was so disappointed with the sound. it was just really muddy and indistinct, and light years away from the clarity and bite of the tele I eventually bought. in the end it depends what tone you're going for - if you want a glassy, bright sound go for the strat; if you want a thicker, darker, heavier sound, go for the epi.

if I was making this choice, the dealmaker/breaker would be how important a clean sound is to you. if it's very important, get the strat. the epi's cleans aren't that bad, but single coil pickups will almost always do it better

I'm picking the HSS pickup combination on the Strat though. I'm still confused though.

Hmm... Thanks for your opinion. I still have 2 months to think this through. :happy:

Hey it's me again. I know I'm being a pain but I'm really in a fix.

I thought I finalised my decision a few days ago with a Squier Black/Chrome Strat. I read a few reviews and past posts about the Tele and it caused another dilemma.

So now it's a toss up between....

Squier OBEY Tele

Squier OBEY Strat

Squier Tele Custom II

Squier Black/Chrome Tele

Squier Black/Chrome Strat (HSS pickup combination)

Epiphone SG-400

Or do you guys think I should spend a whole lot more on either of these...

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/fender-telecaster/1020

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/fender-stratocaster/1006

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/epiphone-les-paul-standard/870

I'm a little tight about spending the extra 80 quid though. :(.

Been playing for 5 months now.

Rock/Alternative/Blues and occassional Metal

Played through a Roland Micro Cube

Bedroom practice mainly

May buy a better amp and play a school gig or two with guitar

First guitar was a Cort EVL X-4

I'm really really confused and I'll be very grateful to everyone who can help and anyone that can bear with me and talk me into a final decison. I am going to make this my second guitar and I dont want to regret buying it.

My second guitar was a fender strat and personally I think it's one of the best guitars out there, just think how many professional musicians use them so it can't be bad. Although if you don't want ot spend the extra money the HSS strat seems to be a good buy.

My second guitar was a fender strat and personally I think it's one of the best guitars out there, just think how many professional musicians use them so it can't be bad. Although if you don't want ot spend the extra money the HSS strat seems to be a good buy.

Any idea why it costs 700 pounds less than its other counterparts? And does the Fender Strat produce good distorted sounds?

Hey it's me again. I know I'm being a pain but I'm really in a fix.

I thought I finalised my decision a few days ago with a Squier Black/Chrome Strat. I read a few reviews and past posts about the Tele and it caused another dilemma.

So now it's a toss up between....

Squier OBEY Tele

Squier Tele Custom II

Squier Black/Chrome Tele

Squier Black/Chrome Strat (HSS pickup combination)

Epiphone SG-400

Or do you guys think I should spend a whole lot more on either of these...

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/fender-telecaster/1020

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/fender-stratocaster/1006

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/epiphone-les-paul-standard/870

I'm a little tight about spending the extra 80 quid though. :(.

Been playing for 5 months now.

Rock/Alternative/Blues and occassional Metal

Played through a Roland Micro Cube

Bedroom practice mainly

May buy a better amp and play a school gig or two with guitar

First guitar was a Cort EVL X-4

I'm really really confused and I'll be very grateful to everyone who can help and anyone that can bear with me and talk me into a final decison. I am going to make this my second guitar and I dont want to regret buying it.

having already given you my thoughts on the epi sg, I can give you my impressions of the fender standard tele and the squier tele custom II as I've got those as well.

the standard tele is, quite simply, the nuts. I don't play it a lot at the moment because the songs I play tend to be a bit heavier so humbuckers suit the sound better. however I recorded with the standard tele not so long ago and got a better sound out of it than any other recording I've ever done, which has included sessions where I used bkp equipped guitars. that might not be solely down to the guitar of course - my amp settings might've changed, for instance - but, as I mentioned earlier, the bite you get from the standard tele is almost unbeatable, and the clean sound from the neck pickup is one of the best I've ever heard. you'd be able to pull off most muse songs without a problem - some of the higher gain stuff like citizen erased and stockholm syndrome might post a problem but otherwise you'll be good to go.

as for the squier custom II, I've only had that a few months so I'm still getting used to it. initial impressions are that it's closer in sound to the standard tele than any of the humbucker guitars I have, but it's a bit warmer and handles high gain slightly better. I do like how it sounds though - the guitar certainly benefits from the duncan designed pickups, and it's not a guitar you'd have to keep away from gigs for fear of it ruining the sound (I've already gigged it a couple of times). it's also the heaviest guitar I own, somehow even heavier than the standard tele.

Hey everyone, I've been watching the Kit & Tab forum for a while but haven't posted. Just registered today!

Anyway, I fancy having the sounds of a Telecaster in my repertoire, but cannot afford to get a Squire one at the moment, let alone a Fender one. However I have spotted on the Sound Control (soon to be Reverb) that there are Legacy Telecasters for £35 (dropped from around 100 or so, according to the website).

Thing is, if I buy one of these, is it worth it in the sense that I could mod it to be a lot better, or would it be wiser to save for a Squier Standard Telecaster/Custom II?

My amp is a Laney LC-30. Cheers. :)

Legacy Telecaster is from this site.

Sam, I'm not Red, haha. I know who he is. Wasn't he banned earlier this year? I loved reading the stuff he posted before he got banned. He always recommended Laneys didn't he? :)

I got recommended by my friend Dan, his username is "brinstar"? He told me that once you get past the barrier of noobness at K&T it's a good place for advice :)

He also told me that a guy called Valentin is a twat.

Sam, I'm not Red, haha. I know who he is. Wasn't he banned earlier this year? I loved reading the stuff he posted before he got banned. He always recommended Laneys didn't he? :)

I got recommended by my friend Dan, his username is "brinstar"? He told me that once you get past the barrier of noobness at K&T it's a good place for advice :)

He also told me that a guy called Valentin is a twat.

olol.

I'd stay well clear of any guitar priced at £35, my advice...save up and get a Squire. You wont regret it.

I too saw that guitar at sound control London but at £55...and bought it! I didn't know what I wanted for my birthday so I thought that was a good idea (not that I needed a 3rd electric really!).

I have to say its not bad. Yes it has some issues - the tuners badly need replacing but wilkinson do sealed jobbies for £20 so thats fine. The pots are ok, the bridge is set a little high but fine (you'll struggle with exact intonation due to the 3 saddles but its fine). Pickups are ok to start with - definate tele twang but could do with a bit more to them. The end of the neck looks a little messy and finally the fret dots aren't perfect.

To be honest, teles are work horse guitars - they can look pretty b utthey're meant for the hard slog. The legacy is a good stable work horse for a beginner/ intermediate that has the potential to become really good with some relatively cheap mods (new tuners ~£20, new pickups ~£30 from GFS/ebay). I own a squier strat and honestly can't say the build is that much better for the money you save

What mods would these be (if it's okay to ask)?

Well on mine I have:

New Bridge £30

New Tuners £20

Middle and Bridge Pickup wired in series (essentially a humbucker) with a coil tap.

Strap locks £10

These upgrades have made a huge difference however the stock guitar was brilliant.

Well on mine I have:

New Bridge £30

New Tuners £20

Middle and Bridge Pickup wired in series (essentially a humbucker) with a coil tap.

Strap locks £10

These upgrades have made a huge difference however the stock guitar was brilliant.

These all seem like good mods. But I never understood people paying lots for strap locks. Even quite a few professionals have realised that you can buy rubber washers in DIY stores that can stretch over your existing pins and lock the strap in place. You can also find rubber washers on the top of the special grolsch bottles (the ones that are corked with the metal leaver) They work fine plus you can get drunk

Archived