Questions Tom...

Do you have an amp to drive passive monitors?

If you don't, do you need to budget that as well?

What size speakers would you like? Ideally, what size is the room these monitors will do most of their mixing in?

I'm in the search for some 5" active monitors because I have a small room and while it'd be nice to have something bigger and better I don't have the money either. I've found these to at least be usable in some way and around that budget (here at least):

Yamaha HS50: Unflattering to the mix, not the best bass response but I think probably easy to learn.

KRK Rokit 5: I think they shape the mix too much but probably the cheapest, better on low end but maybe just being exaggerated.

Tannoy Reveal 501A: Good with the mids and highs, perhaps a bit bright, lows aren't best but stereo imaging is good and easier to position.

M-Audio BX5: Probably better for monitoring than mixing. Lows get lost a bit.

Mackie MR5: Pretty much similar to the Reveal but not as mid/high cutting and a bit harder to position for mixing with a good stereo image.

Alesis 1A MkII: I haven't heard but opinions seem to be pretty good on this

Fostex PM Series: Seen their smaller options around but not their large so no clue really.

Event TR5: Same deal, haven't heard...

Personally I'm trying my best to get my hands on some Tannoy's since I think they might be the easiest for me to live with and more suited to what I would be mixing and also I'd rather have a nicer idea of what's going on with the stereo image. Basically, I want monitors that will do the best job of exposing the weaknesses in my mix rather than exaggerating the strengths.

If you can go used, for the love of god do it. You'll save some money and you might be able to get a really good set of anything. ;)

so it's just a cost issue. you reckon I could get a better pair of passives for £350 than actives... fair enough.

I've been asking else where for advice and I'm starting to think that maybe I should wait until I'm actually in my new control room before I buy anything

stewmac :ninja:

Send me money and I'll buy one and send it over with the goody bag

You guessed why I dont want to get one from there! ;) postage is a bitch. Okay, that sounds great :awesome: I'll send you over more for postage too... Just let me raise some funds :thumbsup:

thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou

Hello guys, first time posting in K&T even though I've been playing for several years. Not dedicated to it or anything but I'm between somewhere between a beginner and being somewhat proficient.

Anyways, I have a peculiar situation where I've been relying on Rock Band Pro Guitar Mode and Rocksmith since it was the cheapest solution and I tend to spend all my money on other very expensive aspects of my life (PC hardware, collectibles, home theater equipment, my business) so that means I have no amplifiers, no pedals, no actual hardware besides a guitar and several USB adapters which allow me to record things but nothing too crazy.

I was just wondering, given my PC build which is easily more powerful than some of the rigs in recording studios, is there anything you guys can recommend for playing in real time along with effects? I would rather invest in a decent piece of software (and the hardware to connect my guitar to my desktop) that allows me to emulate hundreds of combinations of equipment than actually buy an amplifier and 4-5 pedals.

Here is my system specs

AMD Phenom II X6 1090 @ 3.2ghz (upgrading to Intel Haswell when it comes out meaning a new high-end motherboard)

Nvidia GeForce 680GTX

12GB DDR3 memory @ 1600mhz

Asus Xonar soundcard (currently broken so I'm going to get a new sound card, using on board at the moment)

128GB SSD (quite a bit of free space so I'm willing to put the software on there if the performance increase is noticable)

3TB SATA3 Hard Drive

Logitech Z-5500 THX certified 5.1 surround sound system

What software would you guys recommend for playing in real time with various effects and I'll need the hardware to go along with it since USB2,0 has latency issues.

I've been looking at a power supply for a while (getting sick of batteries dying on me :mad:) and after a bit of looking I've found this one.

http://www.musicstore.com/en_EN/GBP/Fame-DCT-200-Multi-Power-Supply-/art-GIT0019066-000

I've seen mostly great reviews online but I was wondering what ye thought.

Should I go for it?

I'd also get a one spot over that.

If you are desperate to get a power brick for reasons such as you have a reverse polarity pedal or one that might need 9VAC or 18VDC, you probably need to spend a bit more on a Voodoo Labs, Dunlop or T.Rex power brick.

http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/PoweringPedals/index.htm - Lots of info there. ;)

i imagine those specs will be fine running pretty much any of these

amplitube. that one sounded the best to me

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/amplitube/

Just bought this to use as my interface, it's expandable and eventually when I get actual hardware, I'll be able to integrate it so it isn't only a USB interface.

Behringer 302USB

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-302USB-Premium-5-Input-Interface/dp/B005EHILV4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365480926&sr=8-1&keywords=behringer+302usb

What do you guys think?

Just bought this to use as my interface, it's expandable and eventually when I get actual hardware, I'll be able to integrate it so it isn't only a USB interface.

Behringer 302USB

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-302USB-Premium-5-Input-Interface/dp/B005EHILV4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365480926&sr=8-1&keywords=behringer+302usb

What do you guys think?

I use that, it's really shit.

it's a mixer, really, so any inputs have to pass through a shitty EQ circuit that you cant bypass, and the headphone signal is really messed up, and there are latency issues.

I use that, it's really shit.

it's a mixer, really, so any inputs have to pass through a shitty EQ circuit that you cant bypass, and the headphone signal is really messed up, and there are latency issues.

How bad are the latency issues? The reviews said that it was great.

Damn, I'm scared that I wasted my money now.

Latency shouldn't be that bad, just make sure you're using the appropriate drivers on a reasonable running machine (USB2 at least) and you're most of the way there.

I use a Behringer USB desk at the moment to do recording. While I won't say it's the best option, you will do okay with it if you want to do simple recordings. ;)

If I were to sum up, I would say latency is low. Not zero, not near zero but very low none the less. Unless you are churning out enormous amounts of tracks and processing you should be okay. I have to admit here that it isn't the best preamp in the world. Not the worst but there's a lot better. I also wish they didn't have an EQ on it. I have a feeling that the one on my desk (which I leave level) makes things sound "brittle" and/or "piercing".

The only "major" issue I've had is that on every single recording take, it loses the tiniest parts of the track. I'm assuming that the board cannot send every bit of information it gets and some times fails. I can't sugar coat that to make it good, it's just what happens with ours. Some times it's not noticable but others it can be dreadful. :(

tl/dr. What you have is fine. You should be able to do a lot with it as long as you keep the drivers up to date.

Archived