map of the problematique

dwydav

• 3 weeks later...
Could someone help to set up the midi cable & whammy thing for this? I have both but am completly clueless about Cubase.

I've almost got it working for cubase but i've got this annoying screwed up bit on it which always sound the same no matter what i do. I'm after some help too.

i think i was probably one of the first on here to make a sequenced cubase file sending midi to a whammy pedal but ive not still got the project file. if anyone needs help or would like a hand troubleshooting for motp in cubase then ill lend a hand.

edit: funguy, tell me whats going on and stuff with your version, ill try have a look if you like, and brinstar if you want a hand getting started i can probably give you a hand as long as you have a midi OUT from your pc and a whammy type pedal that can recieve midi data.

i think i was probably one of the first on here to make a sequenced cubase file sending midi to a whammy pedal but ive not still got the project file. if anyone needs help or would like a hand troubleshooting for motp in cubase then ill lend a hand.

edit: funguy, tell me whats going on and stuff with your version, ill try have a look if you like, and brinstar if you want a hand getting started i can probably give you a hand as long as you have a midi OUT from your pc and a whammy type pedal that can recieve midi data.

sent you a PM.

thank you very much :)

I have a Digitech Whammy WH-4, got it the other day, very awesome pedal.

And I have this MIDI-USB cable -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Midilink-Midi-to-USB-Cable/dp/B000M16S6M/ref=/ref=cm_cd_f_pb_t

Thank you :)

ok im gonna write a tutorial for cubase with the whammy 4, but you can follow it using any other midi accepting whammy.. just that this guide im gonna say WHAMMY instead of whatever you have.

CC NUMBERS!!

use the following CC numbers if you have this device:

digitech whammy: CC11 or CC1

pod XT live using tweak on the expresion pedal: CC1

ok yeh, connect the midi cable to your pc and whammy pedal, open cubase and make a new project (file > new project).

firstly going to go through some cubase 'housekeeping' to make sure your project is easy to do and works ok, checking you have everything correctly connected and all the right settings turned on etc.

make sure the transport bar is up at the bottom of the page (if in doubt F2 will toggle it on or off). move the treadle of your whammy peadle.. a bar should light up i think its red, that means youve connected it the right way round and you're recieving midi).

right click in the track area and select 'new midi track', at the left side of the screen make sure the output for the midi track when it has appeared is set to your usb midi device, and not something like 'microsoft wavetable GM synth' or suchlike. its a little black box with 'out' next to it. make sure the usb device is also selected for IN.

now set the tempo to 125 bpm (can be done on the transport bar, near to the word 'click'). there is a tempo setting box, but you wont be able to change it unless you click on the word 'track' and change it to fixed or something (whatever the other choice is).

make sure you have snap to grid on.. the snap to grid button looks a bit like this >I< and will go blue when its on.. top right of the screen or thereabouts.

make sure that the timeline in your project is set to 'bars and beats', not seconds.. this can be done by right clicking the timeline and selecting that choice.

im doing this next part to figure out which midi CC your whammy pedal uses for its pitch bend.. if you already know, skip to the next bit without the italics.

now, if that all went smoothly and you were receiving midi data, press record and wobble your whammy pedal for a few seconds.. then stop the recording and double click on the new part you recorded. this will take you to the key editor.

at the bottom there is the CC automation track.. you may or may not be able to 'see' the pattern you just recorded there.. if you can, take note of what CC number is in the drop down box on the left of it.. it might be something like 'CC11 - sustain' or something.

if you cant see your recorded stuff, the box will most likely be saying 'velocity'. click it to drop it down and you should see that theres an asterisk * next to one of the options.. thats the one you recorded to, so select that. cubase puts an asterisk next to it to let you know theres data there. if its still not there, choose to see more options and have a look through the list of hidden ones.

remember that CC number, you'll need to use it to program in the pattern.

now, close the key editor by clicking its red X box (making sure you dont close cubase itself!) and get back to the track view.. delete the midi region you just recorded now you know what CC it was and continue the walkthrough >>

using the pencil tool (theres a set of different tools near the top), draw in ONE empty midi bar onto your midi track.. it should go from the '1' marker to the '2' marker. the new midi region will appear an empty grey box.

once thats done, go back and select the mouse pointer tool to get rid of the pencil and double click the midi region you just created to enter the key editor.. heres where you start actually doing the work.

at the top of the key editor youll see some drop down black boxes with numbers in them. one is a quantise setup, make sure that it is set to 1/16th for this project (as the rhythm the guitar uses in the song changes in 16th notes). make sure snap to grid button is also on in this window ( remember it looks like >I< )

see at the bottom of the screen theres a kinda separate bit.. this is the automation lane. we're gonna be using this mainly, not the actual note editor, so drag the divider up to make it bigger and easier to see (and use). to the left of the automation lane, make sure you set the drop down menu to show the midi CC your whammy uses to change treadle position.

now, starting at the left hand side in the first bit, start drawing in the pattern. you want to be using a setting on your whammy that can go between -2 octaves and 0 octaves.. the height of the bar in the bottom of the key editor you will draw is proportional to the pitch the whammy will be shifting to.. the highest bar you can draw (MIDI value 127) should be the 0 octave change. MIDI 0 (the lowest bar) will correspond to the -2 octave shift. therefore halfway between (MIDI 63) will be -1 octave shift.

the way you set up your whammy might have made it the opposite of this! so check to make sure.

i cant help you with the pattern, maybe though if funguy could post it here again (sorry ive lost it now) itd help. you should be able to get the pattern drawn in with the lines changing only once per pitch change, if your changes look messy and not neat, chances are your whammy might glitch up or sound dodgy.

the actual song is exactly 125 bpm, so you might find it helpful to import the song and cut it in to start just where your midi track does, being in time so you can listen and use your ears to do the octave shifts. you might prefer to look at the picture i made ages ago which hopefully funguy might be posting sometime if he can find it.

when youve done all that lot and you've finished your pattern and its cool and what-not.. just press the play button and start playing :) if your midi cables are both still connected properly to the whammy it should recieve the midi data sent from your pc and automate the foot movements.

NB: you might need to set the whammy to work in midi recieve mode.. im unsure.. look in the manual online in the MIDI section, i havent ever used a whammy 4, let alone with midi so i dont know. there could be some button sequence you need to press on power up or something that enables midi IN.

aaand lastly, if you've got a pod XT live or other device, this guide still works, just make sure you have the whammy assigned to the exp pedal (using tweak for the xt live) and itll work.

dont forget to set the range to be 2 octave, else itll sound very wrong :)

THAT WAS LONG. :eek:

i am about to read that. :)

but you are an ABSOLUTE LEGEND for doing that, thank you very much :)!!!

no problems, i think a lot of people could probably use it, and i do give quite a lot of advice about it quite regularly, so i thought itd be easier to type the whole thing once and for all ;P

i still cant find my screenshot of cubase, but heres a pattern posted by raurie made in pain which miight help

problematiquetj6.jpg

I had a go at map of the problematique using guitar rig 2

Guitar Port ---> Cubase ---> Guitar Rig (post what settings I used later) ---> Ozone 3

dude that sounds even worse than me singing MotP or Bliss....

it sounds like an organ being raped

Why, thank you :D

Who needs to spend £20,000 on an effect which you can do in 10 minutes on Reason...

i think you might be overshooting by a factor of quite a lot there :p

if you're doing it with cubase and a whammy pedal and have a decent audio/midi interface it should cost you only as much as the whammy, as cubase LE is free with lots of interfaces.