map of the problematique

dwydav

just thought i'd fire this in here.....

i've kinda got the effect; using the pitchshifter preset on the KP and tapping the pad. i sampled the tapping sequence using the Pad Motion switch, and sellotaped it down...

tracking problems and tone-sucking aside, what do you think?

http://www.purevolume.com/letsallbemattbellamy

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5GJK4THH

to do this properly (and to maintain guitar tone) i'd guess you'd need to pre-amp the guitar before DI'ing it into the KP; i simply did this recording by taking a line from my amp's line out socket into the Line In on the back of the KP-2.

it's a bit of hassle to set this up so i'd assume bellamy doesnt create the effect using a KP2, cos otherwise he'd have to tap in the sequence perfectly pre-song and hold this sequence throughout the song. Looking at the M1D1, it doesnt seem to have the Pad Motion function (this hold a sequence on the pad, ie it remembers your movements for a period of time), so it would have to be performed on the KP2 unit itself with someone holding down the little Pad Motion lever for the whole song.

if its the KP, what are the bets on it being operated by a tech somewhere?.....but my guess it defo is not the kaoss pad, despite the fact the sound could probably be recreated on it.

exactly my thoughts, i think we can safely say it probably isn't a KP2 live at least.

and we already knew it wasn't a KP2 on the recording either!

I recorded a better quality version by altering the set up a little bit, still doesnt sound too friendly though.

see what you think!!

it could very easily be just pre-recorded then played over live?

theres a section at the abby road performance (like an interlude)(then matt does a little riff) and matt makes it look like he is playing but hes clearly not, so i think either morgan (:happy: ) does it or he plays a pre-recorded thing of it?

at what point has motp ever been in drop c?

that riff is in E, listen to the RATM one, sounds exactly the same, and maggie's farm is in E, motp is in E, i have no idea where this drop c thing came from?

....In motp itself matt uses the low C to play a single line progression (after the 4 bar powerchord into) where the bass plays the higher melody until they go in to the full chords.... + of course the Rage riff at the end, because they could... :p

the guitar isn't always in drop c, he uses it for supermassive black hole... also invincible is in standard on guitar and he uses the other kaoss guitar for that

Look what you made me do! You made my half arsed unresearched comment look like poo, so i've had to edit it, forshame on you! :p

But yea your, correct....but it is drop- C on Map :)

I thought this was explained by that recent Rich Costey article.....

it was, i was just trying to prove/disprove the idea it was done on the kaoss pad. i'm not convinced about the three-amp thing live though; that remains a bit of a mystery.

i dont think matt uses his KP for playing guitar through at all, just for the synth programs; the signal degradation otherwise would be ridiculous.

could explain his tone :LOL:

never thought of that, heh!

it is weird how he only seems to play MOTP on the XY mansons though....

or is that just coincidence, or have i missed something? i'm probably very, very wrong in even suggesting it....

yeah i know what you mean, maybe he uses the sustainer for it (i'm 99% sure he doesn't haha)

maybe it's set up to compensate for the drop C or maybe he just likes the guitar and wants to use it. he does tend to use that one for a lot of songs which don't involve the KP

yeah i know what you mean, maybe he uses the sustainer for it (i'm 99% sure he doesn't haha)

maybe it's set up to compensate for the drop C or maybe he just likes the guitar and wants to use it. he does tend to use that one for a lot of songs which don't involve the KP

yeah, k&ter's to have a habit of reading too far into things, as far as i'm aware, starlight is the only song from bh&r that isn't played on a guitar built for this tour...and don't think he uses a few of the others anymore, maybe he just likes that guitars, or the pickups give him whatever sound he wants for that songs....

yeah.

well, i think it's been all but proven it isn't a KP live.

without it being pre-recorded/operated off stage, and the whole process being more hassle than is necessary for a man whose set up (whilst seeming ridiculous) is designed to be as easy/convenient to use as possible.

if that makes sense.

yeah, k&ter's to have a habit of reading too far into things, as far as i'm aware, starlight is the only song from bh&r that isn't played on a guitar built for this tour...and don't think he uses a few of the others anymore, maybe he just likes that guitars, or the pickups give him whatever sound he wants for that songs....

I think he still uses the original bomber occasionally... and of course the 7 string whenever they play citizen erased