The Supermassive Blackhole Thread

Pluging

Note from Gem: I've merged the majority of Supermassive Blackhole threads as people seem to have one off questions and there was so many threads! So I thought I'd just make you one huge one x

Most ppl are dismissing this song as a poppy song with poor lyrics but i think we should all step back and give the lyrics a deeper analysis.

I believe that these lyrics clearly point towards Matt's love of S&M.

First Verse:

"oooh baby dont you know i suffer?

oooh baby can you hear me moan?

you caught me under false pretenses

how long before you let me go?"

Self Explanatory: Suffering and Moaning!!

and he is clearly tied up/handcuffed.

"you set my soul alight" refers to the burning of his chest with candle-wax. The chest is where many believe their soul is.

1"glaciers melting in the dead of night

2 and the superstars sucked into the Supermassive"

We'll deal with this one line at a time...

1: this is a reference to the black-leather wearing clad dominatrix (supermassive black hole/whore) melting ice cubes onto Matt's sensitive nipples. Note the hyperbole - calling the ice cubes glaciers due to their seemingly large size when compared to his small nipples. This also indicates how painfull the experience was for him.

2: Matt is clearly the Superstar in this line, an innocent abroad who has been sucked into the dark and seedy world of S&M. SuperMassive.

"i thought i was a fool for no-one

ooh baby im a fool for you

you're the queen of the superficial

and how long before you tell the truth"

This is an allusion to the power differential in their relationship - she is the queen(powerfull dominatrix) and he is the fool. Reference to the superficial supports my theory to the deeper meaning to the song. Matt wonders how long before she sells her story to the tabloids.

SUPERMASSIVE BLACK HOLE

This lyric seems to have two meanings:

1 Matt here is borrowing a technique used by Kurt Cobain where he pronounces words in such a way as to create an ambiguity in the mind of the listener.. e.g. In the song Lithium Kurt sings "i love you im not gonna cry/crack. In this song Matt's lyrics may say "hole"(see explanation of meaning below) but the pronunciation is also meant to sound like whore i.e. the dominatrix. Supermassive is again a reference to how powerful she is relative to him, to her he is merely a fool to be toyed with as she pleases.

2 This line also reiterates the point mentioned earlier: he has been sucked into the dark and seedy world of S&M (SuperMassive), which is like a black hole from which he can see no escape.

Galaxies away if you will from his normal sexual activities(see previous post http://www.invictus.softmeg.com/forums.php?m=posts&p=16046#16046).

You will also note that this song contains a lot more repitition than earlier muse songs. The constant moaning (oooooooh aaah) is merely the cry of a tortured superstar. The recurring glacier and soul alight motifs have been explained already.

I hope you agree with me and look forward to hearing your thoughts on the meaning of the song

Guest UnintendedHysteria

haha matt and bondage..s&m and muse...interesting combo there:LOL: i always thought the songs weren't supposed to make sense but hey maybe thats just me...or maybe the person analyzing this was having dirty thoughts at the time hmmm???:rolleyes:

Remember the message from the band. Is SMBH this:

"Also, a sinister presence at the center of our Galaxy has inspired what could be described as a surprisingly casual manage-a-trois involving Prince, R2-D2 and the Queen when she was hot."

Remember the message from the band. Is SMBH this:

"Also, a sinister presence at the center of our Galaxy has inspired what could be described as a surprisingly casual manage-a-trois involving Prince, R2-D2 and the Queen when she was hot."

:LOL: I think you might be right :LOL:

Most ppl are dismissing this song as a poppy song with poor lyrics but i think we should all step back and give the lyrics a deeper analysis.

I believe that these lyrics clearly point towards Matt's love of S&M.

First Verse:

"oooh baby dont you know i suffer?

oooh baby can you hear me moan?

you caught me under false pretenses

how long before you let me go?"

Self Explanatory: Suffering and Moaning!!

and he is clearly tied up/handcuffed.

"you set my soul alight" refers to the burning of his chest with candle-wax. The chest is where many believe their soul is.

1"glaciers melting in the dead of night

2 and the superstars sucked into the Supermassive"

We'll deal with this one line at a time...

1: this is a reference to the black-leather wearing clad dominatrix (supermassive black hole/whore) melting ice cubes onto Matt's sensitive nipples. Note the hyperbole - calling the ice cubes glaciers due to their seemingly large size when compared to his small nipples. This also indicates how painfull the experience was for him.

2: Matt is clearly the Superstar in this line, an innocent abroad who has been sucked into the dark and seedy world of S&M. SuperMassive.

"i thought i was a fool for no-one

ooh baby im a fool for you

you're the queen of the superficial

and how long before you tell the truth"

This is an allusion to the power differential in their relationship - she is the queen(powerfull dominatrix) and he is the fool. Reference to the superficial supports my theory to the deeper meaning to the song. Matt wonders how long before she sells her story to the tabloids.

SUPERMASSIVE BLACK HOLE

This lyric seems to have two meanings:

1 Matt here is borrowing a technique used by Kurt Cobain where he pronounces words in such a way as to create an ambiguity in the mind of the listener.. e.g. In the song Lithium Kurt sings "i love you im not gonna cry/crack. In this song Matt's lyrics may say "hole"(see explanation of meaning below) but the pronunciation is also meant to sound like whore i.e. the dominatrix. Supermassive is again a reference to how powerful she is relative to him, to her he is merely a fool to be toyed with as she pleases.

2 This line also reiterates the point mentioned earlier: he has been sucked into the dark and seedy world of S&M (SuperMassive), which is like a black hole from which he can see no escape.

Galaxies away if you will from his normal sexual activities(see previous post http://www.invictus.softmeg.com/forums.php?m=posts&p=16046#16046).

You will also note that this song contains a lot more repitition than earlier muse songs. The constant moaning (oooooooh aaah) is merely the cry of a tortured superstar. The recurring glacier and soul alight motifs have been explained already.

I hope you agree with me and look forward to hearing your thoughts on the meaning of the song

ummmmmmm hot if you ask me lol:p

Or, the S&M references are merely analogous with how fucked the world is, how we are fucking it up and how little control we have. The biggest impact climate change theorists go on about is melting ice caps.

probably something along those lines...not sure about the S&M though..meh.

it's your basic muse doom doom doom kind of thing really.

Is it just me or are the new lyrics almost identicle to plug in baby?

Eh...I wouldn't say so:

"My plug in baby, crucifies my enemy" most definitely isn't "Glaciers melting in the dead of night, and the superstar gets sucked into the supermassive" (Close enough!)

its about sexual tensions between the artic monkeys mothhaaa and matt, when they met in some crappy discotheque in NY ...i´m sur3!!!1

no... I think you can interpret everything into this, but I quite like the S&M theory ^^ also think the lyrics arent that serious... and the way matt "screams" supermassive black hole just made me laugh...

but smbh is indeed a very sexy song...!!! :LOL:

Why is S&M evil again??

Haha, you made me chuckle!

I think this songs about matt bellamys inability to stay away from making a pop songs, so he gave in and did! Hence "I'm a superstar sucked into the supermassive"

Thread starter: You gave that way too much thought. It'll serve u right if you have a dream about that, tonight.

Was kinda thinking the same thing. Strange, but fitting theory lol. :happy::LOL:

The song has been slowly growing on me and I thought the lyrics were a bit dodgy to be honest, but with this idea, SMBH is genius lol. :LOL:

:stunned: MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.....interesting your psychological theory, I like psychology:happy: , but I don't sure if this is really can discouver and understand the mind and the humans feelings. But I respect your opinion, I think it's really a bit interesting. Although, what's the thing is S&M?:confused:

Archived