The Supermassive Blackhole Thread

Pluging

Most ppl are dismissing this song as a poppy song with poor lyrics but i think we should all step back and give the lyrics a deeper analysis.

I believe that these lyrics clearly point towards Matt's love of S&M.

First Verse:

"oooh baby dont you know i suffer?

oooh baby can you hear me moan?

you caught me under false pretenses

how long before you let me go?"

Self Explanatory: Suffering and Moaning!!

and he is clearly tied up/handcuffed.

"you set my soul alight" refers to the burning of his chest with candle-wax. The chest is where many believe their soul is.

1"glaciers melting in the dead of night

2 and the superstars sucked into the Supermassive"

We'll deal with this one line at a time...

1: this is a reference to the black-leather wearing clad dominatrix (supermassive black hole/whore) melting ice cubes onto Matt's sensitive nipples. Note the hyperbole - calling the ice cubes glaciers due to their seemingly large size when compared to his small nipples. This also indicates how painfull the experience was for him.

2: Matt is clearly the Superstar in this line, an innocent abroad who has been sucked into the dark and seedy world of S&M. SuperMassive.

"i thought i was a fool for no-one

ooh baby im a fool for you

you're the queen of the superficial

and how long before you tell the truth"

This is an allusion to the power differential in their relationship - she is the queen(powerfull dominatrix) and he is the fool. Reference to the superficial supports my theory to the deeper meaning to the song. Matt wonders how long before she sells her story to the tabloids.

SUPERMASSIVE BLACK HOLE

This lyric seems to have two meanings:

1 Matt here is borrowing a technique used by Kurt Cobain where he pronounces words in such a way as to create an ambiguity in the mind of the listener.. e.g. In the song Lithium Kurt sings "i love you im not gonna cry/crack. In this song Matt's lyrics may say "hole"(see explanation of meaning below) but the pronunciation is also meant to sound like whore i.e. the dominatrix. Supermassive is again a reference to how powerful she is relative to him, to her he is merely a fool to be toyed with as she pleases.

2 This line also reiterates the point mentioned earlier: he has been sucked into the dark and seedy world of S&M (SuperMassive), which is like a black hole from which he can see no escape.

Galaxies away if you will from his normal sexual activities(see previous post http://www.invictus.softmeg.com/forums.php?m=posts&p=16046#16046).

You will also note that this song contains a lot more repitition than earlier muse songs. The constant moaning (oooooooh aaah) is merely the cry of a tortured superstar. The recurring glacier and soul alight motifs have been explained already.

I hope you agree with me and look forward to hearing your thoughts on the meaning of the song

I am not wholly sure if this would be the truth, Matt's lyrics tend to be in-your-face more than complex.

But I am actually swayed to your view, as FUCK ME was this a good analysis :D :D

Jeez..

Well, if you put it like that ( the analysis of the lyrics)..hmmmm...it's an even worse song then I thought it was..lol...I mean. It sounds slick, easy on the ears..smooth...and not at all like pain..or the love for pain for that matter..

Hmmmm...

weird...

Mattsturbation! :LOL:

well...i think the lyrics supposed to be a big joke, to me they're making fun of people like Britney Spears as they said this album would be the happiest and funniest one! :) *hopes deeply this is it*

even...Black Holes :noey:

Most ppl are dismissing this song as a poppy song with poor lyrics but i think we should all step back and give the lyrics a deeper analysis.

I believe that these lyrics clearly point towards Matt's love of S&M.

First Verse:

"oooh baby dont you know i suffer?

oooh baby can you hear me moan?

you caught me under false pretenses

how long before you let me go?"

Self Explanatory: Suffering and Moaning!!

and he is clearly tied up/handcuffed.

"you set my soul alight" refers to the burning of his chest with candle-wax. The chest is where many believe their soul is.

1"glaciers melting in the dead of night

2 and the superstars sucked into the Supermassive"

We'll deal with this one line at a time...

1: this is a reference to the black-leather wearing clad dominatrix (supermassive black hole/whore) melting ice cubes onto Matt's sensitive nipples. Note the hyperbole - calling the ice cubes glaciers due to their seemingly large size when compared to his small nipples. This also indicates how painfull the experience was for him.

2: Matt is clearly the Superstar in this line, an innocent abroad who has been sucked into the dark and seedy world of S&M. SuperMassive.

"i thought i was a fool for no-one

ooh baby im a fool for you

you're the queen of the superficial

and how long before you tell the truth"

This is an allusion to the power differential in their relationship - she is the queen(powerfull dominatrix) and he is the fool. Reference to the superficial supports my theory to the deeper meaning to the song. Matt wonders how long before she sells her story to the tabloids.

SUPERMASSIVE BLACK HOLE

This lyric seems to have two meanings:

1 Matt here is borrowing a technique used by Kurt Cobain where he pronounces words in such a way as to create an ambiguity in the mind of the listener.. e.g. In the song Lithium Kurt sings "i love you im not gonna cry/crack. In this song Matt's lyrics may say "hole"(see explanation of meaning below) but the pronunciation is also meant to sound like whore i.e. the dominatrix. Supermassive is again a reference to how powerful she is relative to him, to her he is merely a fool to be toyed with as she pleases.

2 This line also reiterates the point mentioned earlier: he has been sucked into the dark and seedy world of S&M (SuperMassive), which is like a black hole from which he can see no escape.

Galaxies away if you will from his normal sexual activities(see previous post http://www.invictus.softmeg.com/forums.php?m=posts&p=16046#16046).

You will also note that this song contains a lot more repitition than earlier muse songs. The constant moaning (oooooooh aaah) is merely the cry of a tortured superstar. The recurring glacier and soul alight motifs have been explained already.

I hope you agree with me and look forward to hearing your thoughts on the meaning of the song

im sorry, but no no and no

Aren't all of muse's songs about S&M?

You could be my unintended

He was young, had no grown up S&M intentions yet

Choice to live my life extended

But he was determined to go in a hardcore S&M stretching machine to continue his life as an extended being

You could be the one I'll always love

He could fall in love with the whole S&M thing

You could be the one who listens to my deepest inquisitions

He found someone he could share his Spanish Inquisition style fantasies with..

You could be the one I'll always love

And love her/him eternally for sharing his S&M fantasy with him

I'll be there as soon as I can

He's cumming soon

But I'm busy mending broken pieces of the life I had before

But he's busy trying to put together the bloody pieces of the former lovers he S&M-ed a little to hard.

First there was the one who challenged

His psychiatrist tried to challenge and fight his filthy lusts

All my dreams and all my balance

His filthy dreams and Balanced S&M lovelife were challenged

She could never be as good as you

But the bitchy shrink could never win it from his love for S&M

You could be my unintended

Choice to live my life extended

You should be the one I'll always love

Before you

Pretty much a repeat. He loves the stretch machine, dismembered lotsa lovers, and now found the true love who's sturdy enough to enjoy the S&M thing together with him.

i heard supermassive blackhole on triple J for the first time tonight and these was bassically my reactions.... :eek::stunned::( (all at the same time)

I heard on triple J that they were going to play the new muse single shortly and i was looking foward to it. I had high expectations and it finally came on and as soon as it started i thought 'this is ok'. and then when he spoke that first line my eyes grew wider in shock. and all throughout the whole song i was thinking that there was some mix up. This couldn't be muse! but it was and i was horrified.

muse have been my favourite band for nealy 2 years now and i have loved them because they are different and they are arty and i respected that. Then I heard this song and i lost a bit of respect for them. it wasn't arty or different. they sounded like they were trying to get into the commercial industry, sounded like they were trying to whip up all the teenages into their music. sounded like they were making disco muic to be played at night clubs. I admit that some of it was catchy but i'm sry but it wasn't what i was hoping for or what i expected from them.

I loved their old stuff but this just hit me in an awkward position, and i for one don't like disco and techno and rap music at all.

What happened to the old muse? The muse we all loved.

:$

muse have been my favourite band for nealy 2 years now and i have loved them because they are different and they are arty and i respected that. Then I heard this song and i lost a bit of respect for them. it wasn't arty or different. they sounded like they were trying to get into the commercial industry, sounded like they were trying to whip up all the teenages into their music. sounded like they were making disco muic to be played at night clubs. I admit that some of it was catchy but i'm sry but it wasn't what i was hoping for or what i expected from them.

I loved their old stuff but this just hit me in an awkward position, and i for one don't like disco and techno and rap music at all.

It is different from what they've done before, but to 'lose respect' for them is an over reaction.

I don't understand fans who hype up Muse's unpredictability and then moan when they actually go against their prediction and release something 'un-Musey'. 'Tis a great tune, and it's about time Muse did something dancey and had a bit of fun.

BTW, Soumya86 - like your sig... :D

And back to topic: S&M. Brilliant. :rolleyes:

I don't get how people can't see that Muse are a commercial band.

Agree. I think people forget the mainstream is enormous and caters for tastes as diverse as Muse, Girls Aloud, Kanye West and Massive Attack, all acts that are wildly different from each other but have wider recognition. I think its a need to be part of some gang, or just a bit of good old fashioned musical-taste snobbishness (is that a word?).

why fankoo :D

no problem :)

Agree. I think people forget the mainstream is enormous and caters for tastes as diverse as Muse, Girls Aloud, Kanye West and Massive Attack, all acts that are wildly different from each other but have wider recognition. I think its a need to be part of some gang, or just a bit of good old fashioned musical-taste snobbishness (is that a word?).

no problem :)

what I don't get is why do people need to be "snobby" about music they listen to? I think being all like "Meh t4ste in Musac is teh r0x0r n urz is teh sux0r, deafth 2 mainsteem musac!!!" is so immature.

I feel like gabbing them and saying "Everyone's got different tastes in music you n00bs!!!!"

what I don't get is why do people need to be "snobby" about music they listen to? I think being all like "Meh t4ste in Musac is teh r0x0r n urz is teh sux0r, deafth 2 mainsteem musac!!!" is so immature.

I feel like gabbing them and saying "Everyone's got different tastes in music you n00bs!!!!"

They certainly need a good slapping. I mean, so what if something is mainstream? It pisses me off when people only seem to have ears for a particular style or scene and think listening to anything out of that scene is heresy because they think it's uncool. It's like living in a cave.

*looks for such people to have a good scrap with...or maybe not.* ;)

Archived