The Supermassive Blackhole Thread

Pluging

It is different from what they've done before, but to 'lose respect' for them is an over reaction.

i guess your're right there lol i was in a shitty mood last night :p

(but that doesn't mean what i said i didn't mean)

and btw when i said different i meant unique, different from other bands.

i guess your're right there lol i was in a shitty mood last night :p

(but that doesn't mean what i said i didn't mean) .

Don't worry. I wasn't slating your opinion, or anything, just the lose respect thing got to me. It seems that in 'real life' (i.e. outside this messageboard where I admittedly spend a lot more of my time) everybody I've spoken to about it love it. Even if they're not Muse fans, which is quite a feat, including my Bez-dancing type disco-loon friend. But this board is full of negative opinions ("He doesn't sound like he's in pain! He doesn't sound like he's being drowned while simultaneously getting caught in his fly!I hate it!" type stuff :rolleyes: ), and I saw your post and snapped a bit. Sorry. :)

and btw when i said different i meant unique, different from other bands.

Yes, but on the same point, how many bands radically change their sound for a single. I still think they have a unique edge - live, they're untouchable, and now they can actually live up to the 'unpredictable' tag.

It's a risky move, but I think it will pay off drawing in new fans. And I like it, so I'm obviously going to stick up for it!

:p

Ok guys, how about actually listening to the lyrics;

Glaciers melting in the dead of night, and the superstar sucked into the supermassive (black hole);

:erm: isnt this just about global warming n how everything in the universe is gradually being pulled into black holes??? :confused: ...or is that just a bit too obvious??:happy: Apocalypse Please!!!

I am liking the S&M thoery tho, impressive, wouldn't have come up with that one just from listening to the song, fits in with the 1st few lines of the song tho.

I also agree with whoever said that the person who's post that was spent faaarrrr 2much time on that,i think uve got some matt/bondage fantasies going on in that head of urs.;)

Love the song though, different but funky n matts voice sounds very sexy, again. Cant wait for the album to be released :D

agreed - said that on page 1 with S&M used as metaphor.

The earth could be what is suffering, we are punishing ourselves etc. for simple pleasures and destroying the world. That said, the queen telling the truth is hard to make fit which brings you back to the S&M/whore theory.

Glaciers melting is itself a metaphor for slow but unstoppable change, even in a "dead night" they are melting. One can also see Glaciers melting due to the "massive" heat of a NY night club.

Another thought - Glaciers could refer to the NY night sky, ever been to NY in the oppressive heat of the summer? The massive glass and concrete skyscrapers suck up the heat of the day and you are dripping with sweat just walking a block.

.agreed - said that on page 1 with S&M used as metaphor.

Glaciers could refer to the NY night sky, ever been to NY in the oppressive heat of the summer? The massive glass and concrete skyscrapers suck up the heat of the day and you are dripping with sweat just walking a block.

True...

You're dripping with sweat the minute you step out outside ;) that's why every block or so we go into a store just to cool down :)

I'll keep this in this song theory thread. Just read about something called the Glacier Principle by a wilderness author called Rick Bass. And we all know that Matt goes on about the oil crash, collecting firewood, survival etc...

This from a Christian web site - it is not a Christian principle, they are using the metaphor too.

http://www.christiancentury.org/article.lasso?id=1195

"Talking at length about the contemplative life under American conditions seems just absurd. It seems such a fragile way of life in this culture of massive technology, arrogant leadership, pushing and shoving, insatiable consumerism. Contemplation? Kingfishers and dragonflies? Stones . . . tumbled over roundy wells? It's so inefficient, so ineffective. (EDIT: religious bit for the atheists to ignore: Yet Jesus tells us to do it this way.)

Rick Bass, a very good writer, is another Montana neighbor of mine. Besides being an excellent writer, Bass is a fervent environmentalist. Environmentalists care deeply about this creation, which is a good thing, but a lot of them are also pretty mean-spirited, angry, even violent—verbally if not physically. Bass is small of stature, elf-like, energetic, and laughing, it seems, most of the time. There's not a polemical bone in his body. He hosts parties for the loggers and the miners, working for common ground, developing a language of courtesy and understanding.

Bass wrote an essay recently that I consider required reading for anyone who cares about the contemplative life, immersed as we are in this impatient, shortcut addictive culture. He writes that when confronted with a complex and difficult task, he used to imagine himself laying down one brick after another, brick by brick by brick, to eventually accomplish his aims. But he's recently changed his metaphor from bricks to glaciers. A glacier is the most powerful force the world has ever seen. Literally nothing can stop a glacier.

A glacier is formed by the falling of snow that collects over a period of time. As the snow deepens, the weight compresses, ice forms, then more snow, then more ice, year after year— and nothing happens. Nothing happens until that glacier is 64-feet thick. Then it starts to move and nothing can stop it.

Bass notes that one theory about the origin of glaciers is that they are "the result of a wobble, a hitch, in the earth's rotation. . . . Glaciers get built or not built, simply, miraculously, because the earth is canting a single one-trillionth of a degree in this direction for a long period of time, rather than in that direction." And then this comment: "When I am alone in the woods, and the struggle seems insignificant or futile, or when I am in a public meeting and am being kicked all over the place, I tell myself that little things matter—and I believe that they do. I believe that even if your heart leans just a few degrees to the left or the right of center, that with enough resolve, which can substitute for mass, and enough time, a wobble will one day begin, and the ice will begin to form, where for a long time previous there might have been none. Keep it up for a lifetime or two or three, and then one day—it must—the ice will begin to slide" (The Roadless Yak, Lyons Press).

The Superficial!

http://www.thesuperficial.com/ :eek: :eek:

About The Superficial

The Superficial is a brutally honest look at society and its obsession with the superficial. It is not satire. It is not social commentary. It is the voice of our society at its worst. It is first impressions without sense of social obligation. It is the truth of our generation. It is ugly racism. It is jealousy. It is honest.

Just kidding. Our goal is to make fun of as many people as possible.

Send Us Something Superficial

The Superficial is always looking for new things to scrutinize, whether it be the latest celeb of the moment or the current internet goober. We respect our readers' anonymity as much as we love our own and we highly encourage reader submissions. First hand accounts of celebrity encounters or an exclusive video clip are all things we're interested in. The more superficial the better. You can send us tips by using our submission form.

Disclaimer

The Superficial is a celebrity gossip site which publishes rumors and conjecture in addition to accurately reported facts. Information on this site may or may not be true and The Superficial makes no warranty as to the validity of any claims.

Fellow poetry and psychology fans, I feel I may have overlooked an important detail. So far we have all been assuming that the whore is female. Now this is not the place to get into the issues of gender roles and sexism but I fear that both have been at play here.

You'll notice that for most of the song Matt sings at a higher, Prince-like pitch, indicating his powerlessness and submissive state.

When the SuperMassive Black Whore begins to sing "supermassive black whore", however, it's at a much lower, more masculine pitch. Friends, this allows me to draw only one conclusion..... Matt has been sucked into the SuperMassive black hole of gay S&M. We can now see another example of Bellamy's skills as a lyricist - "Queen" not only refers to the power dynamics in the relationship but also to the sexual orientation of the SuperMassive Black Whore.

You may also notice how Dominic's drumming is quite different to his usual style. This signifies that he too is exploring new ground and is being sucked into the SuperMassive. The style of drumming is also electronic, perhaps a drum machine is being used. If this is the case, what has Dom been doing throughout the song? I can only hope that it did not involve ice cubes, candles and Matt's nipples.....

If one listens very carefully during the final chorus you may hear that there is in fact a three part vocal harmony. The third, least obvious lower voice is singing what I may only describe as the words, "whip, whip, whip, whip, whip.......".

Matt is undoubtedly aware of his fans' tendency to assign accronyms to song titles e.g PIB=Plug in Baby, TIRO=Time is Running Out etc. He knew that this song would inevitably become known as SMBH, especially as it is the first single and would be discussed intently on message boards. This accronym basically sums up what the song is about: S&M, Blatantly Homosexual.

This song is written in a poppy style not because Matt and the boys wanted a chart topping single but for a much more subtle reason. Most fans of rock music who enjoy the odd bit of pop music consider it their own dark, dirty little secret; a secret which they would not like to share with the world. Practitioners of S&M have a similar attitude to their sexual adventures. Hence the most appropriate genre for a rockstar, comme Matt, to use to express his obsession with S&M is clearly pop.

Now don't all you 'fans' who accused them of selling out feel a bit guilty??

I'm sitting here in boring required typing class, reading this, and the room was very quiet until just a few moments ago...

*click click tak tak click tak* BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!! *typing stops*

:$

I shouldn't be on here during school...

Gay SM?! Fer fook's sake. :LOL:

I stand by what I said before, this is someone's sneaky attempt at posting slashy Muse fanfiction! :erm:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived