471 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Absolution?

• 1 Star
    • 2 Stars
    • 3 Stars
    • 4 Stars
    • 5 Stars

5 Stars.

In my opinion, Absolution captures the emotion in the songs better than any other. Muse 'found themselves' on this album, which is also one of their most consistent. There was a distinct sound carried right through the album, and a dark edge which made it all the more intriguing. The heavy classical influence mixed with hard rock all fitting into a consistent sound on the album breathed new life into modern rock music. I would have included fury over Thoughts of a Dying Atheist. A very strong piece of work.

Best Track: Butterflies and Hurricanes

Worst Track: Thoughts of a Dying Atheist

Favourite Moment: When the heavier piano kicks in on Ruled by Secrecy.

For the first 10 tracks its Muse's best album, but then 3 out of place tracks hit you. The Small Print is a lazy effort considering the quality of everything that you hear before it. Endlessly is just out of place. It's a great track, but should have been saved for BH&R. Thoughts of a Dying Athiest again is a lazy piece of work compared to the rest of the album. It's modern punk rock sound only helps it seem more out of place. At least the album goes out with a big bang!

Favourite track is definately Blackout, which is even better live! My least favourite track is a 2-way tie between The Small Print and Thoughts of a Dying Athiest.

My favourite moment on the album is when the guitar kicks in on Blackout.

4.5 (rounded to 5)

Good things about the album

Possibly their best album. Too many things to list here :p

Bad things about the album

TOADA, Endlessly, The Small Print don't fit very well. Fury should have been put in instead of TSP. Blackout is a fantastic song, but doesn't really capture the emotion that it has live.

Best tracks

SS, B&H, AP, S4A, Blackout.

Worst track

The Small Print

Favourite moments

The chorus of Stockholm Syndrome, the guitar solo in Hysteria.

5 Stars.

It was the 1st album of Muse I bought, became a fan because of "Time is running out" and this album, it's still my favourite album because of it's variety. Piano pieces, heavy rock, great songwriting. RBS, SFA, SS and Hysteria on one album, I'd call it a real masterpiece. I don't skip any song.

Best Track: Time is running out

Worst Track: Thoughts of a Dying Atheist

Favourite Moment: When the heavier piano kicks in on Ruled by Secrecy.

Five Stars.

Good: Heavy piano and guitar, solid lyrics, great balance of light and dark, classical elements, good single choices, cohesion/flow.

Bad: A smattering of weaker tracks but nout that wrecks the album at all.

Best Track(s): Apocalypse Please, Stockholm Syndrome, Hysteria, Ruled By Secrecy.

Worst Track(s): Sing For Absolution, Endlessly.

Favourite Moment: Synthy section to Apocalypse Please and the Hysteria bassline.

5/5

Good things about the album

- The grandeur, theatricality and sheer immensity of the soundscape.

- The best choruses in the band's career (Stockholm Syndrome, Fury, Ruled By Secrecy, Endlessly, Butterflies & Hurricanes)

- Stockholm Syndrome

- Epic piano love!

- The strings are fantastic; for example, the strings in Endlessly and Butterflies & Hurricanes elevate those songs to greatness.

Bad things about the album

- The transition between Hysteria and Blackout is slightly jarring

- Thoughts of a Dying Atheist feels out of place between Endlessly and Ruled By Secrecy

Best track

- Stockholm Syndrome

Worst track

- Thoughts of a Dying Atheist (not because it's bad, but rather, out of place in the flow of the album)

Favourite moment

- The chorus of Stockholm Syndrome. After the verse, there is a furious build-up that explodes into arpeggios and tender vocals. Quite possibly the meaning of life.

Absolution is my favourite album; I just love it. I'd got into Muse about a year or so before it came out and songs like Stockholm Syndrome and Hysteria just blew me away.

I bought all the other releases not long afterwards and I take something different from each one. I'm just completely obsessed by them.

Good things about the album:

To me this album is, alongside with OoS, the only Muse albums that doesn't change genre/style every third song. From the Intro to B&H is amazing, and the ending is awesome.

Bad things about the album:

The Small Print is a good song, but as many have mentioned, it doesn't fit, neither do Endlessly or TOADA.

Best track

Stockholm Syndrome

Worst track

Endlessy

Favourite moment

The epic start with Intro+Apocalypse Please

5 stars.

Absolution was the first album I heard and it is to blame for falling in love with Muse :D

I know shit about music, but IMHO...

The heavy piano, the riffs, the chorus in several songs, lyrics.

Errr... maybe Intro reminds me a bit too much of PF "The Wall" :rolleyes:

Best track:

Butterflies and Hurricanes, my favourite song ever.

Worst track:

I would not say worst, but my less favourite is Endlessly. I like Small Print :p

Favourite moment:

Several. The B&H piano. "For fifteen pounds per year". SS chorus. Oh ffs, all of it :D

Their best album. Five stars.

Good things about the album: Guitar solos

Bad things about the album: Only 14 songs :p

Best track: Butterflies and Hurricanes

Worst track: Mmm, maybe Ruled by Secrecy, but still a good song!

Favourite moment: Intro + Apocalypse Please (+piano at the end of the song)

5*

Good things about the album: Many of my favourite muse songs is in this album

Bad things about the album: Is there any?

Best track: Stockholm Syndrome & Butterflies and Hurricanes

Worst track: Ruled By Secrecy, except for the piano solo part. But it's still a good song.

Favourite moment: The live version of The Small Print where Chris sings in the chorus

I gave it 5 stars, its the best Muse album for me, I don't think they'll ever beat it

Everything. I love all the track in here so much. It starts off with a bang in Apocalypse Please and just keeps getting more awesome every track that goes by. This is an album that I never skip a single track, because it flows so nicely and it makes me feel so many different ways when Im listening to it, its like an emotional rollercoaster. The album also fits together nicely with the apocalyptic and religious (or absence of it anyways) themes running through it.

should've been longer

Best track:

Endlessly, Thoughts of a Dying Atheist, Stockholm Syndrome, Apocalypse Please

Worst track:

Im gonna say Interlude haha but seriously now...maybe Ruled by Secrecy despite me still adoring the song

Favourite moment:

1. Intro and Apocalypse Please with the marching soldiers sends shivers down my spine

2. "Scares the Hell outta me!" I dno why, but I like the way its sang with such emotion

3. When Butterflies&Hurricanes starts again just when you think its over =D

Good: SS (one of if not the best Muse song) Hysteria, Dying Thoughs of an Athiest, Butterflies and Hurricanes.

Bad: Some of the songs give way to cheese in places (im looking at you TIRO). I'm not sure why I prefer OoS over this exactly, i think its that OoS has more super awesome tracks, whilst Abso has more quality overall (just), but doesnt have quite so many super awesome parts.

Best bit: SS solo

4 Stars

Good things: Dark feel, amazing lyrics, good balance of heavy rock songs and slower ones

Bad things: Some of the later tracks aren't quite as good as the rest of the album

Best tracks: Hysteria, Stockholm Syndrome, Falling Away With You

Worst tracks: Thoughts of a Dying Atheist, The Small Print

Favourite moment: The way FAWY fades into the Interlude, which builds into Hysteria's awesome bass line :stongue:

4/5

Good things about the album - The grandeur of it, the flow; the riffy tracks balanced with the classical tracks and both are great.

Bad things about the album - It's not that long and yet it drags due to the lack of an epic track towards the end.

Best track - Stockholm Syndrome, Hysteria, Apocalypse Please, Butterflies & Hurricanes

Worst track - Thoughts of a Dying Atheist

Favourite moment - Outro riff to SS, Intro riff to Hysteria, The piano coming on AP

Definately 5 stars!! Their 2 best album. Very special for me.

-Good things about the album:E-M-O-T-I-O-N!! some beautifull songs very intense moments, very inspiring songs! And the more complete for me! you find everything you want in an album: Great songs very catchy (Hysteria, Time is running out), some epic songs (Apocalypse please, Stockholm syndrome) and wonderful emotionnaly romantic songs (S for A, Ruled by secrecy, Blackout, endlessy)

-Bad things about the album: ...

Best track: Sing for absolution

Worst track: The small print

Favourite moment : The moment with Interlude and Hysteria: just perfection i don't know why

Archived