Battle of the songs: Starlight vs Supermassive black hole

Apocalypse plz

What one?  

410 members have voted

1. 1. What one?

• Starlight
    • Supermassive Black Hole

Supermassive by a hair, though both of them are really brilliant pop songs.

EDIT: Oh, and I may as well chime into the pop vs. rock debate. Here's the thing, the definition of pop is increidbly loose. The Beatles are pop. The Beach Boys are pop. Justin Beiber is also pop. These are all completely different artists with completely different styles and, in my opinion, a significant gap in quality.

Muse DOES have pop songs. This is undeniable. The issue is, which songs are pop and which aren't? Undisclosed Desires, Starlight, Neutron Star Collision, etc, those are obviously pop. But i'd go further and suggest that the likes of Plug In Baby, Bliss, Time Is Running Out, and maybe Hysteria are also, at their base, pop songs. They rely on hooks and melody and energy, which are all generally facets of pop music. And though they all certainly do rock, i'd throw them more into the guitar-pop category then anything else. Thats not a bad thing; pop done well is fantastic, and Muse can do pop REALLY well when they want to. There's no need to seperate it into pop and rock, Muse embody elements of both (and several other genres) and have, on the whole, pulled it off.

EDIT: Oh, and I may as well chime into the pop vs. rock debate. Here's the thing, the definition of pop is increidbly loose. The Beatles are pop. The Beach Boys are pop. Justin Beiber is also pop. These are all completely different artists with completely different styles and, in my opinion, a significant gap in quality.

Muse DOES have pop songs. This is undeniable. The issue is, which songs are pop and which aren't? Undisclosed Desires, Starlight, Neutron Star Collision, etc, those are obviously pop. But i'd go further and suggest that the likes of Plug In Baby, Bliss, Time Is Running Out, and maybe Hysteria are also, at their base, pop songs. They rely on hooks and melody and energy, which are all generally facets of pop music. And though they all certainly do rock, i'd throw them more into the guitar-pop category then anything else. Thats not a bad thing; pop done well is fantastic, and Muse can do pop REALLY well when they want to. There's no need to seperate it into pop and rock, Muse embody elements of both (and several other genres) and have, on the whole, pulled it off.

Most of Muse's catalogue is pop by its own standards, but that's not such a big thing.

Modern Nine Inch Nails is pop. Linkin Park is pop. Even Modern Slipknot and In Flames is pop to some extent; just about every single band that lies on the label of "Alternative" can be classed as pop on some ocassion, and its really not a bad label or word to attribute to yourself. All it does is stand for "popular", basically pretty much anything accessible.

Correct.

• 2 weeks later...

No doubt SMBH. Its one of muse's best live songs and also one of matt's favorite song to play (next to KoC) andguitar in SMBH is sexy :LOL:

Starlight is the worst song live, even GL is better. Only thing i like is that i can hear matt play power chords and thats quite rare in muse songs.

• 11 months later...

Archived