We nearly lost a school battle of the bands to some cover band who weren't all that good because it was down to a crowd cheer thing. We had none of our fans there and half of the crowd were there supporting that band. Luckily we converted the metalers to cheer for us :awesome:

We nearly lost a school battle of the bands to some cover band who weren't all that good because it was down to a crowd cheer thing. We had none of our fans there and half of the crowd were there supporting that band. Luckily we converted the metalers to cheer for us :awesome:

my first band lost to chris's first band at school because all their fans took more than one voting slip each!!

cheating gits!

:LOL:

And then when we did our BOTB with judges and everything and there were joint winners as well. I don't know how many points this one was out of. Unfortunatly we didn't play well on the night. At least we beat a signed band in our heat.

Tbf being signed means fuck all these days...

I mean, well done :awesome:

They weren't really that good despite the fact they turned up with loadsa flightcases with their name sprayed on and their own sound guy. It's still nice to say despite pretty much all the signed bands around here being terrible shouty indie.

Just try it. I like to put a dynamic mic right next to the speaker. I also like a condensor a little further away. Some people put condensors right next to cabs but I would be a little worried about damage - depending on how loud you're turned up.

When you're mixing, if it sounds like the guitars are too loud, you have to turn them down. If it sounds like they're too quiet, then you have to turn them up.

Tomorrow - how to tune your guitar with a digital tuner.

Quick question, how would anyone here recommend micing up an amp?

Just a dynamic mic or a Dynamic and a condenser? and how far away for both? What levels and when it comes to mixing the guitar parts how should I go about this?

stick to one mic for a good while, two is many times more complicated.

starting off, put on some headphones and monitor the mic signal (high isolation headphones are best). make sure the signal is a good 3-6 dB from clipping and move the mic around the area of the speaker cone. have it right up to the grille on your amp, maybe a few inches back. hold the mic in your hand and while a friend plays something repetitive, swing the mic slowly around infront of the cone. you should be able to hear the difference position makes in your headphones.

youll notice the sound is much brighter the closer you get to the center of the speaker, and more dull further away. a good starting point can be halfway across the speaker cone. it also depends what angle youre pointing it... just play around with some headphones on, if you like what you hear, set up the mic stand in the same position, check it again with your ears and hit record ;D

Yeah cheers guys :D

And I also meant like playing around with the raw recording, like what EQs to push certain parts through the mix more etc?

if you mic it up well you shouldnt need much eq at all.. i would high pass it to remove low frequency non information though, to clear up room for bass and kick.. but then again i high pass pretty much everything that isnt kick or bass ;D

id say a high pass around 100-200Hz (depends on your mix and your tone though) and maybe a bit of peaking eq at a few khz, 1 2 or 3 mebbe, depends. i sometimes will low pass the guitars too, but only very mildly and it depends on how much is going on up high in the mix