Dom does use triggers. It's not sampled but he does have triggers on his kit which is how he gets some of the sounds like the echo on Exogenesis or the clapping effect on Starlight. If you hear songs like Ruled By Secrecy from KeyArena you can hear how different the drums sound for "normal" drum songs compared to older performances where it was more acoustic. I think NSC actually has electronic drums somewhere in the mix though in the style of Resistance.

As for the autotune, if he is using it it's only in the post production. Matt does use effects live but I doubt it's any autotune. The way I found out there was some pitch correction in the pro-shot was by comparing it to an audience recording.

It might be worth mentioning also that the idea that the band is trying to be perfect has been thrown out there. From the way Matt avoids hitting some difficult notes at times, to the lack of rare songs probably for fear of messing up, to how their songs are more produced (you said computer sounding for the drums) compared to Origin, where they would record an identical chorus again just to keep the more live feeling.

I think what you said last of all sums the whole debate up, They're pushing for this clean, no error performance. I think to some degree they are substituting some of the reasons why they've been loved so much from their earlier years.

and yeah, i doubted it was live pitch correction, still though, it's a release to the fans from their sites...The way i see it, if you correct the recording you might as WELL correct it live... there's no difference to me.

I think autotuners, apart from the obvious uses (cher-believe...etc..) should be left alone.. :/

I saw some interview at some point (both Matt & Dom were there) where Matt says he didn't want to do Exo Pt2 because it's "difficult" and he doesn't want to clam it up, but Exo Pt3 was easy -- but he thought it would be fucked up to do 1 & 3, but not 2. Dom actually said then and there that Matt shouldn't worry so much about little clams, as no one would likely notice, and if they did, they wouldn't care. Matt's just being insecure about it.

Matt, if you're reading this, we don't give a flying fucktard about occasional "clams" FFS! It makes you human! :kiss:

ETA: I am female. :LOL:

awesome, full blown live orchestra and 3 part exogenesis are the things they should be PUSHING for... not blockbuster studio movie soundtracks!

I saw some interview at some point (both Matt & Dom were there) where Matt says he didn't want to do Exo Pt2 because it's "difficult" and he doesn't want to clam it up, but Exo Pt3 was easy -- but he thought it would be fucked up to do 1 & 3, but not 2. Dom actually said then and there that Matt shouldn't worry so much about little clams, as no one would likely notice, and if they did, they wouldn't care. Matt's just being insecure about it.

Matt, if you're reading this, we don't give a flying fucktard about occasional "clams" FFS! It makes you human! :kiss:

ETA: I am female. :LOL:

I remember that as the reason they wouldn't play Exo in full. Also remember the excuse for not showing the full Reading broadcast was because they were embarrassed to show the songs with such little practice (whether that's true or not is still under debate though)

I remember that as the reason they wouldn't play Exo in full. Also remember the excuse for not showing the full Reading broadcast was because they were embarrassed to show the songs with such little practice (whether that's true or not is still under debate though)

they're at the top now, perhaps they've got nothing left but fear of what everyone else thinks... haha!

awesome, full blown live orchestra and 3 part exogenesis are the things they should be PUSHING for... not blockbuster studio movie soundtracks!

They aren't pushing for Twilight if that's what you're talking about :LOL: Matt made a deal with Stephanie Meyer without knowing what he was getting himself into, they aren't featuring on future soundtracks.

Other than that though I quite like hearing their music in films :$ I thought MOTP went really well with The Tourist.

They aren't pushing for Twilight if that's what you're talking about :LOL: Matt made a deal with Stephanie Meyer without knowing what he was getting himself into, they aren't featuring on future soundtracks.

Is that interview from Chris was correct I think they knew what they were getting into, they just weren't fully happy about it.

Other than that though I quite like hearing their music in films :$ I thought MOTP went really well with The Tourist.

that film... oh dear, best use i've seen was shrinking universe on 28 weeks later... that was a great artistic choice....

but i do believe that NSC was done well, it's just that...well... you know... :$

Is that interview from Chris was correct I think they knew what they were getting into, they just weren't fully happy about it.

They knew to an extent. They knew they were giving Supermassive to a film about vampires but I think they regretted it when they found out what Twilight was really about.

they're at the top now, perhaps they've got nothing left but fear of what everyone else thinks... haha!

I SO SO hope that L.A. hasn't finally sunk it's claws into the band's psyche. We're talking about a world where literally everything is fake in L.A.. -- From landscapes (L.A. is an irrigated dessert) to people (If you haven't had a nose or boob job, you are in an extreme minortiy) L.A. has zero resemblance to reality. The celebrities that reside there are shockingly insulated from reality, and don't even seem to realize it. *SIGH* Not much we can do, eh?

I've never seen anything legitimate to confirm that.

Matt said in an interview:

"Yeah, we were told one of our songs was gonna be in some horror film with vampires and stuff. I was really surprised, I didn't think a horror film would use that kind of song because it's quite pop-ey. Then later we watched it and realised it wasn't a horror film at all [laughs]."

Not a direct quote but it was something along those lines. Can't remember which interview it was.

"Yeah, we were told one of our songs was gonna be in some horror film with vampires and stuff. I was really surprised, I didn't think a horror film would use that kind of song because it's quite pop-ey. Then later we watched it and realised it wasn't a horror film at all [laughs]."

Not a direct quote but it was something along those lines. Can't remember which interview it was.

Well, I can't honestly believe they knew what they were getting into, and largely regret it.

I sincerely don't know but -- how often does Muse play NSC live? If never, than that's fairly decent evidence that they regret it.

I've seen similar quotes like it, but I can never seem to find the source :$

I know at least half of them are made up jokes that people take seriously (this one doesn't seem like it though).

Well, I can't honestly believe they knew what they were getting into, and largely regret it.

I sincerely don't know but -- how often does Muse play NSC live? If never, than that's fairly decent evidence that they regret it.

NSC is already dropped. Although disappointment might have to do with the fact it was done so quickly. Everyone always points out "HE DIDN'T WRITE THE SONG FOR TWILIGHT" but it was recorded and produced for the movie. Maybe it was a half-assed attempt seeing as they were touring at the time.

According to http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/muse-53d6ebd5.html?song=Neutron+Star+Collision+%28Love+Is+Forever%29 they've played it 10 times

Wow I never knew they played an entire set at Milton Keynes.

I love how everyone kept deleting and reposting the setlist :chuckle:

Where was it played live, and when?

Just click 2010 and it'll give you the whole list. Technically it was played 9 times.

They didn't play MK Ultra often, does that mean they regret making that song? No. I doubt they regret making NSC, I think it's hard for Matt's vocals and he's afraid to play it too often.

They didn't play MK Ultra often, does that mean they regret making that song? No. I doubt they regret making NSC, I think it's hard for Matt's vocals and he's afraid to play it too often.

But there's zero comparison with that! NSC gave Muse a HUGE, but entirely different fan base! What I'm alluding to is that they may very well "regret" attracting that fan base, because it's well ........... so "Justin Bieber". Not playing NSC live, when it has given them a zillion times more exposure in the US than they would have had otherwise, makes it glaringly obvious that they're not, well, TOTAL whores! :LOL:

Give the man a bit of slack; he hadn't sung that song for seven years. If you listen to the Youtube recordings, his voice is clearly off during most of the song as he struggles to do the original melody justice, I remember it vividly while there.

It's a performance where, for me, the moment itself is the most important thing and for the most part, they pulled it off admirably :erm:. I mean, that outro scream! :eek:.

Give the man a bit of slack; he hadn't sung that song for seven years. If you listen to the Youtube recordings, his voice is clearly off during most of the song as he struggles to do the original melody justice, I remember it vividly while there.

Maybe that's why it took until now to see pro footage.

Archived