there's plenty of moments where you clearly hear it picking up his vocals... on ooohh sounds it's clearer, and when changing from one note to another, you hear 'steps'

I can only hear things like that in the first verse. Can't see why they'd autotune that and not the rest, everything else sounds like normal Matt to me.

I can only hear things like that in the first verse. Can't see why they'd autotune that and not the rest, everything else sounds like normal Matt to me.

strange right? oh well, i just lost respect... the industry is too corrupted nowadays

there's plenty of moments where you clearly hear it picking up his vocals... on ooohh sounds it's clearer, and when changing from one note to another, you hear 'steps'

I remember noticing the steps. But I'm still skeptical as to whether it's enough to consider it autotune.

strange right? oh well, i just lost respect... the industry is too corrupted nowadays

Losing respect for what would be a very slight addition (granted it would make me disappointed too) is a bit much.

I remember noticing the steps. But I'm still skeptical as to whether it's enough to consider it autotune.

it's autotune, i'm familiar with it being on a music tech degree

Losing respect for what would be a very slight addition (granted it would make me disappointed too) is a bit much.

there's a lot more than this that makes me lose respect, but these small things are signs of intergrity, and when they digital correct the human voice it's a bit of a downer... the autotune is most of the way through too... it's harder and harder to hear nowadays because just about every bit of music in the minastream has it, so we become conditioned to not noticing it... :(

Maybe it's because I'm inexperienced but I don't see it either

hey, try this

he has it on hear, and the weird thing is that Buble's voice is amazing, he doesnt need it, but listen to other live versions and you hear how the 'real' quality of his voice disappears under the autotuner

like wrapped in plastic

it's autotune, i'm familiar with it being on a music tech degree

I listened to the pro-shot and a fan recording back and forth, and I can hear the effects. It only seems to make a noticeable difference in the first verse though, after that it seems there's more dips in his voice allowed. Or maybe he's on pitch more and so the correction doesn't do much changes.

I do believe it is there though now, having checked myself

I listened to the pro-shot and a fan recording back and forth, and I can hear the effects. It only seems to make a noticeable difference in the first verse though, after that it seems there's more dips in his voice allowed. Or maybe he's on pitch more and so the correction doesn't do much changes.

I do believe it is there though now, having checked myself

well yeah, he'll sing better as he gets through the song (like any singer) this means the tuner doesnt have to 'work as hard'....but you can still hear it work right through the song, it's a shame really...maybe not a muse decision, but it's their website and their christmas present...

EDIT: could be switched on and off for different parts of the track..

well yeah, he'll sing better as he gets through the song (like any singer) this means the tuner doesnt have to 'work as hard'....but you can still hear it work right through the song, it's a shame really...maybe not a muse decision, but it's their website and their christmas present...

EDIT: could be switched on and off for different parts of the track..

I dunno. Would you actually have the onions to say to Matt's face -- "Dude! Sweet utilization of autotune on the RAH Meglomania release! Effing cool!"

I may be disillusioned, but I would think using such effects would cement the end of Muse as we know it. I thought Muse liked the quirky fluctuations in sound that come with humans performing music? No?

I dunno. Would you actually have the onions to say to Matt's face -- "Dude! Sweet utilization of autotune on the RAH Meglomania release! Effing cool!"

I may be disillusioned, but I would think using such effects would cement the end of Muse as we know it. I thought Muse liked the quirky fluctuations in sound that come with humans performing music? No?

i dont think it's good to use autotune at all! but they've used it, whether it's his decision or not, its on that mp4 file christmas present

i'm not saying that the autotune is live either... post produciton is most probable, though check out that Buble video, i think THAT's live

i think if there's any disillusion, it is that muse are 'too' integral to ever have autotune, there's some across the newer albums

i dont think it's good to use autotune at all! but they've used it, whether it's his decision or not, its on that mp4 file christmas present

i'm not saying that the autotune is live either... post produciton is most probable, though check out that Buble video, i think THAT's live

How would one determine if it's being used live? Seriously -- I'm not being sarcastic! How can you tell?

i think if there's any disillusion, it is that muse are 'too' integral to ever have autotune, there's some across the newer albums

*SIGH* Well, that's too bad if you're right. From what I understand, the band holds 100% artistic rights to their music. If they don't want it messed with, nobody can override that decision. I just hope that they also realize that people "in the know" will easily be able to determine when they've used such "cheating" techniques.

Carry on! :)

How would one determine if it's being used live? Seriously -- I'm not being sarcastic! How can you tell?

well...as far as i can hear, there's the sound of the autotune 'tone' in the sound of the 'room' he's playing in... either that or it's a really clever mix with post production effects to make it sound natural...but :/

i think, rather than cheating, they are covering themselves from the opinions of people feeling 'they sound out of tune sometimes so i dont want to hear it'..... it's become like an instinct, because so much we hear in commercial environments is autotuned, live vocals just sound 'bad' to most ears

it pains me as much of the next guy, but there's autotune over the voice of matt, for whatever reason, from whoevers choice :S

hey, try this

he has it on hear, and the weird thing is that Buble's voice is amazing, he doesnt need it, but listen to other live versions and you hear how the 'real' quality of his voice disappears under the autotuner

like wrapped in plastic

Woah it's quite prominent there

no no, i mean, the drum kit sound is from a computer (90% sure) i noticed it most when i heard the twilight track, and it all sounded 'too' similar

There are three twilight tracks. I assume you mean Supermassive Black Hole. In which case, yes it was probably done with an electric drum kit. Is there something wrong with that?

i think, rather than cheating, they are covering themselves from the opinions of people feeling 'they sound out of tune sometimes so i dont want to hear it'..... it's become like an instinct, because so much we hear in commercial environments is autotuned, live vocals just sound 'bad' to most ears.

Well, all I can say is that I sure as fuck hope it doesn't become the "norm" with Muse. One of the things I've found to be so cool about them is their thick skin to criticism and unwavering self integrity. They are (were?) an inspiration to any and all crappy teenage bands to keep with it, not give in to criticism, and keep trying no matter what anyone says. Those 1994 videos of Muse looking and sounding like Nirvana are priceless and so.......confidence building! If Matt has started to believe he needs to sound "perfect", then me thinks he's been hanging out with the wrong crowd for too long.;)

He needs to go have a visit with Lemmy -- right in L.A. -- and have his ass set straight!! :-D

There are three twilight tracks. I assume you mean Supermassive Black Hole. In which case, yes it was probably done with an electric drum kit. Is there something wrong with that?

no, i'm referring to neutron star... i think they took drum hits from the recording, and used trigger to reproduce the same sound, i went to wembley and it was crystal clear sounding, with such a great definition of sound, last time i heard that was radio1 tent at leeds/reading, watching pedulum

again...triggered sample

Well, all I can say is that I sure as fuck hope it doesn't become the "norm" with Muse. One of the things I've found to be so cool about them is their thick skin to criticism and unwavering self integrity. They are (were?) an inspiration to any and all crappy teenage bands to keep with it, not give in to criticism, and keep trying no matter what anyone says. Those 1994 videos of Muse looking and sounding like Nirvana are priceless and so.......confidence building! If Matt has started to believe he needs to sound "perfect", then me thinks he's been hanging out with the wrong crowd for too long.;)

He needs to go have a visit with Lemmy -- right in L.A. -- and have his ass set straight!! :-D

dude, IF that is the case, i couldnt agree with you more. and i totally agree with your view on how they've never cared about these things before... why do it now... all i can think is that they're making more and more commercially guided choices... but this is disappointing if true

man, listening to new born at wretcher 2001, just no need for polishing music with digital tools...

no no, i mean, the drum kit sound is from a computer (90% sure) i noticed it most when i heard the twilight track, and it all sounded 'too' similar

Dom does use triggers. It's not sampled but he does have triggers on his kit which is how he gets some of the sounds like the echo on Exogenesis or the clapping effect on Starlight. If you hear songs like Ruled By Secrecy from KeyArena you can hear how different the drums sound for "normal" drum songs compared to older performances where it was more acoustic. I think NSC actually has electronic drums somewhere in the mix though in the style of Resistance.

As for the autotune, if he is using it it's only in the post production. Matt does use effects live but I doubt it's any autotune. The way I found out there was some pitch correction in the pro-shot was by comparing it to an audience recording.

It might be worth mentioning also that the idea that the band is trying to be perfect has been thrown out there. From the way Matt avoids hitting some difficult notes at times, to the lack of rare songs probably for fear of messing up, to how their songs are more produced (you said computer sounding for the drums) compared to Origin, where they would record an identical chorus again just to keep the more live feeling.

It might be worth mentioning also that the idea that the band is trying to be perfect has been thrown out there. From the way Matt avoids hitting some difficult notes at times, to the lack of rare songs probably for fear of messing up, to how their songs are more produced (you said computer sounding for the drums) compared to Origin, where they would record an identical chorus again just to keep the more live feeling.

I saw some interview at some point (both Matt & Dom were there) where Matt says he didn't want to do Exo Pt2 because it's "difficult" and he doesn't want to clam it up, but Exo Pt3 was easy -- but he thought it would be fucked up to do 1 & 3, but not 2. Dom actually said then and there that Matt shouldn't worry so much about little clams, as no one would likely notice, and if they did, they wouldn't care. Matt's just being insecure about it.

Matt, if you're reading this, we don't give a flying fucktard about occasional "clams" FFS! It makes you human! :kiss:

ETA: I am female. :LOL:

Archived