If you buy your tickets from them, you are about as much of a fan as the touts are.

bollocks! that's one of the stupidest things i've ever heard. i know buying a ticket from them you're lining their pockets, but i'll buy from a tout if i don't get a ticket to a gig i'm dying to go to because that's the fucking last option!

for the resistance tour there wasn't any kind of anti ticket tout system in place, so unfortunatly a huge amount of the tickets went to them, and so for people who didn't get tickets the touts are the only place to go really. hopefully by the next time muse release tickets there will be some sort of system in place, but saying that you're not a fan of the band by buying from a tout is fucking unbelievable!

that thing that miley cyrus is doing is a fantastic idea, and lets hope that muse put something like that into place for the next tour.

bollocks! that's one of the stupidest things i've ever heard. i know buying a ticket from them you're lining their pockets, but i'll buy from a tout if i don't get a ticket to a gig i'm dying to go to because that's the fucking last option!

for the resistance tour there wasn't any kind of anti ticket tout system in place, so unfortunatly a huge amount of the tickets went to them, and so for people who didn't get tickets the touts are the only place to go really. hopefully by the next time muse release tickets there will be some sort of system in place, but saying that you're not a fan of the band by buying from a tout is fucking unbelievable!

that thing that miley cyrus is doing is a fantastic idea, and lets hope that muse put something like that into place for the next tour.

If I fail in my mission to find a couple of tickets for the 13th from a legitimate source then I too will be looking on eBay nearer the time.

I'll try and minimise the risk by only using a 'reputable' (ha ha) seller and I definitely won't be buying from the venue as I've seen first-hand how that can end.

It's not bollocks at all. If you buy from a tout then you're fueling the industry that deprived you of a ticket in the first place so you're contributing to the problem. Aside from the inflated prices and possibility of fakes. I'd rather not go to a gig than pay a tout.

It's not bollocks at all. If you buy from a tout then you're fueling the industry that deprived you of a ticket in the first place so you're contributing to the problem. Aside from the inflated prices and possibility of fakes. I'd rather not go to a gig than pay a tout.

And if that meant potentially never going to a gig you would be ok with that?

another idea would be to make each ticket unique by placing names and addresses on them.

the only counter arguement would be that this prevents people getting in quickly when doors open, but if venues dedicated a large team of emploies to check que before doors open this should make the process alot more swift, as lots of people que early for good spots in the crowd.

Dedicate a large team of employees to check = extra overheads = reduce profits = not going to happen, sadly...

And if that meant potentially never going to a gig you would be ok with that?

I've done pretty well so far by never buying off of a tout so that's not really likely! If people stopped buying off of them, they'd lose interest and find another way to make money. I would rather not go than line a touts pockets.

thats your choice. But to say people who are desperate enough to see a gig that they finally resort to touts are not fans is a hurtful statement to many muse fans. or fans of any band really.

there has to be a better answer than not going to gigs, whats the point of being a fan if you cannot go to gigs???

the fans outnumber the touts by a large margin. why not make a pettition.

hell if we got enough larger fan sites of other band sin on the act it could snowball into a uk wide petiton to the governement. resale for prices above retail should be illegal. it benifits only the touts. no one else. there is no negative effect for anyone else is there. so why not make it illegal? whats stopping the government.

this is a rant, i actally haven't thought it through 100%, if you can see and holes or flaws please point them out. maybe we could ammend them.

But if you are really a fan of live music, and you disagree with touts, then you shouldn't support their business. I agree it should be illegal but at the end of the day the government aren't interested in putting a stop to it. There are places like scarletmist of here to try and get tickets from. Ask around. See if people have a spare. Otherwise it's like saying you're against animal cruelty and then wearing a fur hat.

Just been looking at the Pearl Jam site. They have a membership which costs $25 per year for international membership. Members get access to tickets first and are limited to 2 tickets per member per show. No single tickets are sold (not sure I agree with that that is a good idea though). Tickets are not mailed out they have to be collected in person at the show venue. Photo ID MUST be shown in order to collect the tickets.

Now, admittedly, they do state that they cannot gaurantee tickets to all members and they will be dished out in order of seniority - so if you just join up to try to get tickets for the next gig you may find that it doesn't help you much cos you've got millions of members buying them before you. Also, there is no mention of the ratio of tickets that are made available to members - i.e. is it 100% (sell to members until no more members buy them then sell to public) or is it 10% (i.e. a limited number of tickets made available in the same way as a pre-sale). Who knows.. but this has to be a good starting point surely for artists/bands that don't want to give in to touts (or to Ticketmaster for that matter)!

I am sure fans would gladly pay $25 per year to get a 'reasonably good chance' of getting a ticket - let's face it... it's much cheaper than paying at least double price to get a ticket from a tout...

It would be good to expand on this and take it to the next level - i.e. making sure the MAJORITY of tickets are available as a pre-sale to fans rather than only a small number. If everyone is registered then they can easily keep a database of how many folk are wanting the tickets which will help with future planning and marketing.

I am not sure what other things ticket sales companies do for the artists.. i.e. what do the bands get out of Ticketmaster? Do they promote the gigs... advertise... sort out/pay for the ticket sales process? How much money do the bands pay/lose to Ticketmaster as a result of them being in the loop? If the band's website dealt with the ticket sales why do they need ticketmaster?....

Don't get me wrong here I think touts are fucking scum :mad: but before I managed to get a ticket through Seetickets yesterday I had already been tempted to buy one from E-bay.

If you had the choice between paying a tout or not seeing Muse play live what would you do? Sorry but it's a no brainer, you pay the robbing piece of shit his pound of flesh and as much as it hurts it will be forgotten as soon as Muse play the first chord.

We have to be honest here, Muse are to blame for this situation, there were never enough controls to guarantee that tickets didn't end up in the touts filthy hands and also they are simply not playing enough dates in the UK to satisfy the demand, sadly its that simple.

what are peoples opinions on gumtree? theres a couple of standing tickets for london O2 arena there for £105 including recorded delivery, apparantly someone ended up with 4 and only needs 2. Theyve specified they want to sell to fans only but say that £50 'face value' hmm .......on reflection i reckon i wont bother. i cant afford to lose £105.

Edited by Dirty K

it's not bollocks at all. If you buy from a tout then you're fueling the industry that deprived you of a ticket in the first place so you're contributing to the problem. Aside from the inflated prices and possibility of fakes. I'd rather not go to a gig than pay a tout.

yay! *hi5*

and if that meant potentially never going to a gig you would be ok with that?

yes.

thats your choice. But to say people who are desperate enough to see a gig that they finally resort to touts are not fans is a hurtful statement to many muse fans. or fans of any band really.

there has to be a better answer than not going to gigs, whats the point of being a fan if you cannot go to gigs???

the fans outnumber the touts by a large margin. why not make a pettition.

hell if we got enough larger fan sites of other band sin on the act it could snowball into a uk wide petiton to the governement. resale for prices above retail should be illegal. it benifits only the touts. no one else. there is no negative effect for anyone else is there. so why not make it illegal? whats stopping the government.

this is a rant, i actally haven't thought it through 100%, if you can see and holes or flaws please point them out. maybe we could ammend them.

i agree with your last couple of paragraphs there. We all feel strongly in this thread, so we need to join forces and think of something. Petitions, and maybe we could draft a letter to send to MPs. But yeah, we need to ask Muse to do a Trent next time, at the very least.

Blee's fur hat analogy made me lol. :LOL:

Don't get me wrong here I think touts are fucking scum :mad: but before I managed to get a ticket through Seetickets yesterday I had already been tempted to buy one from E-bay.

If you had the choice between paying a tout or not seeing Muse play live what would you do? Sorry but it's a no brainer, you pay the robbing piece of shit his pound of flesh and as much as it hurts it will be forgotten as soon as Muse play the first chord.

We have to be honest here, Muse are to blame for this situation, there were never enough controls to guarantee that tickets didn't end up in the touts filthy hands and also they are simply not playing enough dates in the UK to satisfy the demand, sadly its that simple.

No it's not. I would never do it, sorry. My sister got a bollocking from me recenty for buying Morrissey tickets for £150 each. She said, "Well it was the only place left that had any" and I had to explain. This is the people touts rely on, this sort of naivete. Seasoned gig goers shouldn't fall for it! She never buys tickets for gigs so didn't know better. We DO know better, and we shouldn't support it.

Edited by Gemsy

thinking about credit card entry systems

can you imagine the panic when the doors open and everyone wants to run to the front :LOL:

especially when your card won't swipe properly...

still it is a good idea for those people who have credit cards. for those who don't, you need a very good friend, willing to sit through a gig with you.

photos on tickets would probably be easiest as long as the photos were clear enough to avoid any confusion.

yeah, as i said before it's a last resort as far as i'm concerned and i don't like fueling the industry. if you'd rather never go to gig than buy from a tout then that's fine, i wouldn't!

but saying to someone they aren't a fan of a band or live music for buying from a tout is apsolute SHIT.

the only thing we can hope for is that muse provide a better ticket system for the next time they tour, then no-one would have to buy from them.

yeah, as i said before it's a last resort as far as i'm concerned and i don't like fueling the industry. if you'd rather never go to gig than buy from a tout then that's fine, i wouldn't!

but saying to someone they aren't a fan of a band or live music for buying from a tout is apsolute SHIT.

the only thing we can hope for is that muse provide a better ticket system for the next time they tour, then no-one would have to buy from them.

Fine, then. Everyone can buy off of touts because there's always going to be a demand because there will always be people like you fuelling it. I don't understand why it's hard to grasp that if people didn't use touts, they wouldn't have a reason to exist. There are other ways you can get a ticket, like I said earlier. And I really don't think you can be a fan of live music and support an industry that takes away your right to get a ticket at face value.

Not even as a last resort do I find it acceptable, I'm afraid. It's not like you're going to die unless you see this band.

Fine, then. Everyone can buy off of touts because there's always going to be a demand because there will always be people like you fuelling it. I don't understand why it's hard to grasp that if people didn't use touts, they wouldn't have a reason to exist. There are other ways you can get a ticket, like I said earlier. And I really don't think you can be a fan of live music and support an industry that takes away your right to get a ticket at face value.

Not even as a last resort do I find it acceptable, I'm afraid. It's not like you're going to die unless you see this band.

exactly! unless there is a law put in place or a better ticketing system then there will always be a demand for tickets from the scummy touts. it's not hard to grasp at all that if people didn't use touts then they wouldn't exist, but that's never going to happen is it unless things change. there's no point trying to guilt trip people into to not buying from them by saying stupid things like "you're not a muse fan or a fan of live music if you buy a ticket from a tout" because until something changes for buying tickets the touts will always be able to sell them on.

the only time i've ever had a problem getting a ticket for anything was for this tour. i managed to get my mum a seated ticket for the 02 13th date, but couldn't get myself a ticket, so i resorted to a tout for the first time ever (and hopefully the last).

lets just hope that muse have heard/read about the shit that's happened with this tour where a lot of their fans couldn't get a single ticket to come and see them and they change the ticket system next time they release tickets (and judging from dom's blog post maybe they will do something next time).