Not strictly new info but slightly more elaboration on previous points I guess.

- Confirmd genre-mess a la T2L, potentially a different one for just about every song

- ‘Experimental’ but purely in terms of genre, songs themselves will be pretty commercial w/ less ‘5+ minute progressive leanings’ than before

Curious as to how they’re gonna end the record if the latter point stays true.

Did they really say or imply commercial? That seems like a pretty specific, and jaded, thing to say.

No no, that’s just my wording/inference.

“This album is gonna be - that we’re working on - y’know, when we did The 2nd Law, we did this approach that every song had to be a radical departure for the band and it was very experimental for that reason. This album’s gonna be experimental but I think we’re trying to make all the songs really solidly great in terms of, like, y’know, they’re gonna be relatively traditional song structures. They’re not gonna be, like, crazy, radical experiments, y’know what I mean? But the genre of each song is gonna be almost completely different so across the album you’re gonna hear, like, it’s gonna be the most diverse album I think we’ve ever done in terms of, like, you can have a heavy rock tune and then, like, some urban sounding stuff or some pure electronic stuff, y’know? But as I said, we’re gonna stick to the song structure for each one of those, rather than sort of just lose our minds and go off on sort of, like, 5 minute journeys. So we sort of challenged ourselves to just make 10 or 12 great songs and slim down a little bit on some of the progressive leanings that we had.”

Apparently Thought Contagion is ‘one of the rockier tunes’. What the fuck ‘urban sounding stuff’ is I have no idea.

Edited by Jobby

Sure, it could be great. For gamechanging tho I picture a lot of experimentation or pushing a sound forward. AM haven't really done that

I think maybe I need to put some context in my gamechanging comment.

I more so mean gamechanging for the Arctic Monkeys sound. I’m expecting them to do something completely out of the box from the more mainstream AM.

Maybe a direction Last Shadow Puppets was starting to head or something completely different like when we got Humbug.

The fact they're going to cut their "proggier" tendences down surely saddens me a little.

But seriously, assuming the album will be certainly shit because of what Matt claimed about sticking to more traditional song structure or because TC is going to be the rockiest track on there it's too much of a stretch. What did we expect, after all? It should have been clear by now that Muse aren't the kind of band that goes totally nuts about experimentation.

They're showing how much they're a pop rock band at heart. With their own unique features that still make them stand out among others, but still a pop rock band. If I want to listen to something more properly experimental, I search elsewhere.

Lee Sayer, avid anti-vaxxer as well. Seemed like a down to Earth kind of guy.

:LOL:

Edited by MartianSpaghettiRider

But seriously, assuming the album will be certainly shit because of what Matt claimed

No, I assumed that because it's Muse in 2018.

With their own unique features that still make them stand out among others

Like what? Thought Contagion is an Imagine Dragons track, and I don't think you'd say Dig Down has unique features whatsoever.

The fact they're going to cut their "proggier" tendences down surely saddens me a little.

But seriously, assuming the album will be certainly shit because of what Matt claimed about sticking to more traditional song structure or because TC is going to be the rockiest track on there it's too much of a stretch. What did we expect, after all? It should have been clear by now that Muse aren't the kind of band that goes totally nuts about experimentation.

They're showing how much they're a pop rock band at heart. With their own unique features that still make them stand out among others, but still a pop rock band. If I want to listen to something more properly experimental, I search elsewhere.

I’m all for stripping away the rock and prog, my first post after the initial promo pictures for this era came out was gagging for them to pull an After Laughter. I was excited ‘cos I thought maybe they’d finally decided on a new direction after nigh 10 years of meandering around (imo). It’s the genre hopping that disappoints me, it instantly takes away substance from any given song and makes it feel more like a cheap, hollow ‘Muse does _____’ gimmick. It gives them less time to properly work with, explore and own a more focused sound/direction as well, leaving each ‘experimentation’ to just end up sounding like a rough attempt at what they’ve heard other people in that genre do, patched over a normal Muse song.

Idk. Basically, as some who despises T2L, hearing this album be directly compared is cause for despair :chuckle: Makes me wonder what the point was in moving away from just releasing singles, considering the album’s gonna have -21 flow anyway.

I’m all for stripping away the rock and prog, my first post after the initial promo pictures for this era came out was gagging for them to pull an After Laughter. I was excited ‘cos I thought maybe they’d finally decided on a new direction after nigh 10 years of meandering around (imo). It’s the genre hopping that disappoints me, it instantly takes away substance from any given song and makes it feel more like a cheap, hollow ‘Muse does _____’ gimmick. It gives them less time to properly work with, explore and own a more focused sound/direction as well, leaving each ‘experimentation’ to just end up sounding like a rough attempt at what they’ve heard other people in that genre do, patched over a normal Muse song.

Idk. Basically, as some who despises T2L, hearing this album be directly compared is cause for despair :chuckle: Makes me wonder what the point was in moving away from just releasing singles, considering the album’s gonna have -21 flow anyway.

It depends all on how they want to make this genre hopping sound, though. It doesn't have to be bad.

If DD and TC are of any indication, I think there will be some key sound elements glueing the whole album together, like the hip hop influences and production.

Meh, at this point I don't really care for flow from them, as long as it's gonna be a collection of good songs.

It depends all on how they want to make this genre hopping sound, though. It doesn't have to be bad.

If DD and TC are of any indication, I think there will be some key sound elements glueing the whole album together, like the hip hop influences and production.

Meh, at this point I don't really care for flow from them, as long as it's gonna be a collection of good songs.

So either it will be random genre jumping with nothing connecting the songs, or they will share key sound elements with Dig Down and Thought Contagion.

Not sure which is worse.

Ugh. Was hoping they were done with trying to make everything a different genre. I wouldn't mind as long as they did something interesting with the genres, and mashed them up less preditably, but I can't see that happening.