So...I went to see Mumford and Sons in Indianapolis the other night.... they totally blew the lid off when they pulled some guy from the audience to sing lead on a cover of You Shook Me All Night Long during the encore. It seemed pretty spontaneous because I don't think it happened at their other shows. Mumford and Sons came across as energetic, passionate and having a great time...and the crowd responded similarly.

I wish that Muse could do that.

Didn't know they were so big in the US, that's interesting. I've seen Mumford and Sons twice, at festivals. Enjoyed both occasions thoroughly... but what elevated their live performance, above the musical content, was the interaction between Marcus Mumford and the crowd. He is a natural charmer, full of chat and confidence. He makes you feel like you're his bessie mate, in his gang. Bit like Dave Grohl. Bellamy hasn't got that. He's uncomfortable talking to the audience, and its painful when he tries. There's no point wishing that Muse were like that, it ain't gonna happen.

I'm very glad Bellamy doesn't interact with the crowd. Can you imagine even more time-wasting?

As long as he used the interaction during the current time wasting, it would be a wash. Like, maybe talk to us during the inexplicable 3 minutes between some of the songs?

I mean, this is assuming it wouldn't be three minutes of pure, painful awkwardness and stuff that sounds like insults... So yeah, still not a fan of the idea. Just drop the damn downtime.

Maybe just play with your eyes open a bit and acknowledge the crowd is there a few times during the songs. Play to them, and not so much like you're trying to pretend they aren't there.

A little bit can go a long way, and you don't need to talk your head off up there.

I've seen frontmen be very engaging without saying anything, before.

When you're so disengaged with the crowd, the "off nights" that Muse has been having so much this tour are just so, so noticeable, and come off like they just don't want to be there.

(And when you say something unflattering like "no one out there knows this song," the audience has no context for your attitude, and you come off like a pretentious jackass.)

I'd be happy with him at least pretending he was enjoying himself on stage, so it's not depressing to watch. :(

He has a rather infectious smile, for example; use it more often. It doesn't take much.

People like at least the image that a band is having a good time at what they're doing, especially when it's a band known for being a bit silly, like Muse is.

Serious scowling doesn't really mesh with, like, SMBH or KoC. :chuckle:

(psa, of course, this hasn't been every gig, but it was too many of them this tour.)

(And when you say something unflattering like "no one out there knows this song," the audience has no context for your attitude, and you come off like a pretentious jackass.)

Despite all of the cases of this on this tour, my favourite example of this is definitely Coachella 2014.

"This is the oldest song we can remember. You wouldn't have heard of it."

Despite all of the cases of this on this tour, my favourite example of this is definitely Coachella 2014.

"This is the oldest song we can remember. You wouldn't have heard of it."

I've only seen 5 Muse gigs, and he's said something like that at 4 of them. :facepalm:

And the outlier, he didn't say a single thing the entire gig.

I'm absolutely an advocate of Bellamy shutting up on stage, if that's all he can come up with here.

But, like I said, there's so much other stuff he could do to be more engaging (that wouldn't make him sound like an asshole.)

Going back to Mumford and Sons, it's not like Marcus had anything too profound to say to the crowd. He thanked the Pacers for inviting the band to the basketball game the night before (and the crowd for tolerating the rescheduled concert date due to the game). He mentioned that the band was flying right back to England after the concert to appear on a tv show the next day. He gave a little intro to a new song off a live album recorded in South Africa. He re-introduced their opening act to play on a few songs with them. Nothing drawn out, preachy, political or anything.

Of course, the highlight was, "Does anyone out there know the words to You Shook Me All Night Long? It's time for a little karaoke." And then proceeded to bring an audience member up to sing the whole song.

Muse really couldn't muster this type of interaction.

Going back to Mumford and Sons

Of course, the highlight was, "Does anyone out there know the words to You Shook Me All Night Long? It's time for a little karaoke." And then proceeded to bring an audience member up to sing the whole song.

Muse really couldn't muster this type of interaction.

Hmm, imagine being at a Muse gig and some fan going to up karaoke to The Handler, or Citizen Erased or TAB instead of Bellamy. You sure that's what you want? It's not what I want.

Hmm, imagine being at a Muse gig and some fan going to up karaoke to The Handler, or Citizen Erased or TAB instead of Bellamy. You sure that's what you want? It's not what I want.

Now, is that really comparable to a fan coming onstage at a Mumford and Sons concert to sing an ACDC cover just for fun? Not so much.

Now, is that really comparable to a fan coming onstage at a Mumford and Sons concert to sing an ACDC cover just for fun? Not so much.

As it happens I don't think Marcus Mumford and Matt Bellamy are equivalent performers. However, you set the terms of the comparison in the first place ;)

Whatever the song is I'd rather hear Matt singing than a fan's karaoke.

You're missing the point though. The fan karaoke didn't take the place of one of the band's songs. It was just something they added in the spur of the moment for a bit of fun.

Muse shows lack any spontaneity. They just prefer to wrap things up on time.

Off the current topic, but whatever happened to this?

292wmrs.jpg

Initially it was said Matt would have a couple of these on tour, personally i thought it looked awesome and fit with the whole Military-ish theme, i think there was even like a 100 that were put on sale, I haven't even seen any pictures of people who bought them for themselves

You're missing the point though. The fan karaoke didn't take the place of one of the band's songs. It was just something they added in the spur of the moment for a bit of fun.

Muse shows lack any spontaneity. They just prefer to wrap things up on time.

I'm not missing the point. You made it in an earlier post and I answered your point in an earlier post...perhaps you missed it... here it is.

Didn't know they were so big in the US, that's interesting. I've seen Mumford and Sons twice, at festivals. Enjoyed both occasions thoroughly... but what elevated their live performance, above the musical content, was the interaction between Marcus Mumford and the crowd. He is a natural charmer, full of chat and confidence. He makes you feel like you're his bessie mate, in his gang. Bit like Dave Grohl. Bellamy hasn't got that. He's uncomfortable talking to the audience, and its painful when he tries. There's no point wishing that Muse were like that, it ain't gonna happen.

Bellamy doesn't do talking to crowds. His talking is cringeworthy. He'd die of embarrassment trying to get a fan onstage. He'd mumble through it and no-one would hear him. Shudder. Horrible. It's not Bellamy's thing.

I'll do The Handler falsetto for him.

Now you do have a point there. His voice needs a rest. Those falsetto notes did grate a couple of times at the O2. Ok then a fan karaoke on the grounds of voice rest for Matt makes sense. But then people will be complaining he's lazy. :LOL:

I'm not missing the point. You made it in an earlier post and I answered your point in an earlier post...perhaps you missed it... here it is.

Sorry, I didn't intend to denigrate your point. I mean, I'd rather hear Matt sing at a Muse gig than fan karaoke as well. But if it doesn't detract from the rest of the show, then why not have a little fun with the fans? Anything would be better than a second playback of Dronezzz.

The piano riser failed to work properly at the Drones show that I attended. Do you think that Muse did anything to make it up to the fans? Nope, just dropped the piano slot and ended the show early. When it comes to doing more or less for the audience, some bands make the extra effort to do more while Muse seems to be comfortable doing less.

Edited by Nigel_Tufnel