Exactly, you make my point. Prince died, prematurely. With a known painkiller problem. As did Michael Jackson. And the number of performers who died from overdoses/suicide are too numerous to list here :(

:LOL:

I don't think so!

No-one knows why Prince died, if he had a painkiller problem or how much his religion came into his health - the guy was crazy private and the possibilities in the news at the moment are no more than supposition.

Sometimes people die, its rarely due to playing that extra encore or B side - I don't think Muse would be in any mortal danger if they cut the fat out of their touring show or bothered to rehearse and play a few more songs.

And his voice is totally trashed. Should've reined it in when he was younger.

His voice is definitely not the same anymore (no surprise when you're at that age) but I think it's still alright. And he's got more energy than the whole of Muse combined which kind of makes up for it.

:LOL:

Sometimes people die, its rarely due to playing that extra encore or B side - I don't think Muse would be in any mortal danger if they cut the fat out of their touring show or bothered to rehearse and play a few more songs.

Yes sometimes people die. But musicians die younger. "Rock stars really do die young: study finds musicians die 25 years younger than average person"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/11192839/Rock-stars-really-do-die-young-study-finds-musicians-die-25-years-younger-than-average-person.html

His voice is definitely not the same anymore (no surprise when you're at that age) but I think it's still alright. And he's got more energy than the whole of Muse combined which kind of makes up for it.

That's fine, you go see him, it's a personal preference thing after all. Me though, if I had to go see him I'd pay MORE for him to sing LESS. :LOL:

more energy than the whole of Muse combined

That's the problem - any energy they have got is just pissed away by the ridiculous size of the stage and lack of focus.

This is the Cure at the end of 3 back to back nights at the end of 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAI5li2jMus&feature=youtu.be&t=124

3 hour set each night, 41 songs with the sets chopped and changed each night. Stll had fucking bundles of energy at the end and were obviously enjoying it.

Why can't Muse manage that?

McCartney is younger than Placido Domingo who still sings exquisitely. Of course no one questions whether opera singers should protect their voices or not (they do!)

That's a really strange comparison considering opera singers very rarely sing for 2 or so hours 100+ days a year.

That's a really strange comparison considering opera singers very rarely sing for 2 or so hours 100+ days a year.

They don't you are right, and that is my point. They protect their voices, instead of trashing them. Not rehashing the rest, it's in the posts above ;)

They don't you are right, and that is my point. They protect their voices, instead of trashing them. Not rehashing the rest, it's in the posts above ;)

McCartney loves being on the stage and performing for people. It is blatantly obvious if you go see him that performing is his love. This is the reason he is on tour so much. I am not saying that Muse doesn't like performing but there is a definite difference and it is noticeable.

McCartney loves being on the stage and performing for people. It is blatantly obvious if you go see him that performing is his love. This is the reason he is on tour so much. I am not saying that Muse doesn't like performing but there is a definite difference and it is noticeable.

That's nice. However I didn't dispute his enthusiasm. I have seen MrCartney live as it happens. My comment was on his voice...

No Glastonbury then?

Nope. Been registered for ages but Glasto deleted a bunch of registrations. They sent an e-mail asking me to re-register which went into my junk-mail. Re-registered but no luck in the in the resale. Have a slim chance through someone who works there, but I'm not v hopeful. Will be the first year not gone for ages :(

Nope. Been registered for ages but Glasto deleted a bunch of registrations. They sent an e-mail asking me to re-register which went into my junk-mail. Re-registered but no luck in the in the resale. Have a slim chance through someone who works there, but I'm not v hopeful. Will be the first year not gone for ages :(

At least they broadcast it on iPlayer, and somebody ultimately bootlegs it lol.

I think it's a bit far to suggest that playing longer sets and touring shortens the lifespan of musicians... It's got more to do with the fact that "sex drugs and rock and roll" isn't an exaggeration, and it's a really, REALLY destructive environment that they operate within. And one that is glorified, and becomes rather an expectation.

As the article does mention.

If Muse really can't play longer because of Matt's voice and because Dom's arms get tired... fine. But, it's also understandable that people might view that as lazy, because artists the same age and older do far more.

And really, if they want to play a short set, cool. Just make sure it's balanced enough that it makes everyone happy, and it's not an excuse to play a lazy 15 song Greatest Hits tour.

Tighten up the set so I'm not there for 2 hours for 1 1/2 hours of actual performance. I don't need to see 3 minutes of silence between songs, or twiddling with guitars or playback, to make it seem longer.

And act like it's not a chore to be there. Doesn't matter if it's one hour or three if the band looks miserable or bored from the second song on.

As people have stated, a lot of those older artists not only perform longer, but they still come across like they really love what they're doing.

I find myself keeping coming back to wondering what the heck has been up with Muse this tour. Seeing the same energy issues intermittently in Europe surprised the hell out of me.

There's no doubt in my mind that those 24 song stadium gigs are exhausting, but go off stage, take a 15 minute break after 15 songs and play another hour bringing up the total to 23-25 songs a night. Opener at 6:45, Muse at 8:30, show is over at 10:50ish. Seems more than reasonable.

Kasabian did that at their iTunes festival show 18 months ago.

Tom Meighan still sounded fresh after 25 songs.