Muse's stage show has a lot to do with it, too. Their sets have been more or less scripted due to the production since The Resistance tour. Prior to 2006, Muse were more spontaneous with sets - especially with set order, which often gives the illusion that things are getting mixed up more than they really are. It would be nice to go back to those days, but that's the trade off for pretty lights and visuals.

Pearl Jam and The Cure don't have high production shows and are able to be much more free with song variety. Then again there's lots of bands that don't have high production that still don't mix things up. Bands like Pearl Jam and the Cure are exceptions, frankly.

Muse's stage show has a lot to do with it, too. Their sets have been more or less scripted due to the production since The Resistance tour. Prior to 2006, Muse were more spontaneous with sets - especially with set order, which often gives the illusion that things are getting mixed up more than they really are. It would be nice to go back to those days, but that's the trade off for pretty lights and visuals.

Pearl Jam and The Cure don't have high production shows and are able to be much more free with song variety. Then again there's lots of bands that don't have high production that still don't mix things up. Bands like Pearl Jam and the Cure are exceptions, frankly.

This was disproven back in 2009 though when they managed to bring out surprising setlists with lots of rarities at "special" gigs, before going back to the normal stuff.

Yes, that may all be well and true, but Muse still use their production as an excuse, yes?

Yeah, but let's not shy away from the fact that it's nothing more than an excuse. The actual problem is simply that Muse are lazy or somehow unable to do more.

Agree, plus the late Resistance Tour in arenas was very good with great moments and surprises, check this Moscow show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm8pvuo1cnI

This was the festival stage though which was never under question for being easier.

Moscow/Ukraine are still what I'd love for a typical Muse arena show to be.

Edited by Kueller917

Exogenesis into Uprising was a great opening gambit.

Plus, the hexagons stage was ace.

Yeah. I'd love to see Exogenesis into Uprising on this tour with the drones floating around. Maybe not for the start of a gig, but definitely for the encore.

In fact, Exogenesis anywhere in the set would be amazing.

I keep seeing this as an excuse, and I don't think people are thinking critically about it at all.

Exactly which songs couldn't be rotated because of the stage production, really? The Globalist/Drones and The Handler?

Most of the other stuff is generic enough you could put any song there, no? If you can rotate TaB and UD (or drop it entirely; hello US,) with one of the big visual productions, that says something, imo.

So, that leaves a few songs that have some lyrics tossed onto the ceiling screen, and those could easily just be replaced with the generic visuals and camera work they use with the other songs.

The weather balloons (other than the intro and ending,) could hover over the stage to any song.

It's more that Matt is strangely uptight or insecure about playing the majority of their catalogue.

And maybe too lazy to put the work into getting things to sound "right" to his tastes.

I struggle to think it's insecurity, too, with how uneven the vocal performances have been, and how he's kept in songs like Map consistently that is one of the ones he struggles with (assuming The Handler became a run away favorite and they had little choice but to play it.)

It's moot for me, anyways, because I don't really agree that bands should play completely different setlists from night to night anyways. At least not mainstream bands like Muse who've made a name on big singles.

And they've mostly gotten all the non-US setlists right anyways. They're just pricks when it comes to America.

Exogenesis into Uprising was a great opening gambit.

Plus, the hexagons stage was ace.

You always knew you were getting a really good set if that happened as well as I think a lot of the sets - arenas especially - featured Take a Bow, MK Ultra, Sunburn etc when they opened in that manner.

You always knew you were getting a really good set if that happened as well as I think a lot of the sets - arenas especially - featured Take a Bow, MK Ultra, Sunburn etc when they opened in that manner.

I was a bit miffed to miss out on Universe right up until I got green laser TaB.

Exo was honestly a hell of an opener.

Yeah, but let's not shy away from the fact that it's nothing more than an excuse. The actual problem is simply that Muse are lazy or somehow unable to do more.

They don't need to do more, that's the problem. Casual fans are satisfied with what they get haha.

They don't need to do more, that's the problem. Casual fans are satisfied with what they get haha.

Couldn't you say this about any of the bands listed that do crazy amounts of songs, rotate songs, or do "deep cuts?"

Any mainstream band could do the same, so the problem is still that Muse takes the easy route, and does.

Someone on reddit mentioned that the Radio 1 Big Weekend in Exeter this weekend has 3 surprise acts. Even though they played the Norwich one last year can we really rule Muse playing out since it's Exeter? The Berlin gig isn't until next Friday June 3rd so it's possible.

Someone on reddit mentioned that the Radio 1 Big Weekend in Exeter this weekend has 3 surprise acts. Even though they played the Norwich one last year can we really rule Muse playing out since it's Exeter? The Berlin gig isn't until next Friday June 3rd so it's possible.

They're playing Paris on Saturday aren't they? Or is it next month?

It's during Euro 2016 which doesn't start for another 2 weeks. So they're not booked to play anything this weekend and could be one of the surprise acts.

I wouldn't hold your breath. Matt was in Los Angeles earlier this week. Doubt he'd trek back just for that.