This is quite cliched (is that the right word?) for a member of a Muse board, but really Matt B was my main influence on piano, he seems to adapt a Rachmaniov/Tchaikovsky style brilliantly for progressive.

As for guitar, good ol Johnny Greenwood, bit of Hendrix obviously, and of course Mr morello. Matt hasn't hugely influenced me on guitar, because I really can't recreate his sound on the cheap setup I have at the moment.

wouldn't this be a more interesting thread if it was "what are your influences?"...

Agreed.

Anyways, Chris Wolstenholme was the reason I picked up the Bass, and he still influences me now, although I do tend to take a more Morello/Commerford scale-based appriach to my lines. I'm also starting to take up the Funk of RATM as well, and I seem to have Timmy C's mannerisms when playing, too. :$

I'm just glad I got to the bottom of it! Phew

I actually love the first Robbie Williams album for the same sort of reasons.

Haha :happy:

Ac

Enough explanation? For me Editors aspire to sound like everyone else. That's what I can't stand. Same with some of the electro bands around. They try so hard to sound different that they actually go the opposite way and end up sounding like the rest.

Yep that's good!

I've never been too sure of the whole 'they're trying too hard to be different' argument though, particularly when it comes to cross-over genres... In the case of 'electro', I feel it's more a case of people wanting to make songs one can dance to but keeping that live band energy.

Tough tits if you don't like it - I missed out on lots of good stuff when I made assumptions based on 3rd party opinions rather than my ears :p

I don't think you can really base an opinion on what some one's music sounds like by just reading their influences. There's a hell of a lot of influences that I haven't listed because I play so many different types of music.

No but you can have a good guess... If someone exclusively lists a whole bunch of guitar-riff based rock bands, I'd be very surprised if it turns out they play 2-step.

wouldn't this be a more interesting thread if it was "what are your influences?"...

Excessive amounts of drugs and binge drinking :happy:

Muse - for the riffs and just Matt's general chord choices, synthy guitar sound, song construction and (with the exception of Invincible) writing guitar solos that I actually find interesting. Oh, and i'll add Chris' distorted bass riffs and the mixture of synth into the music.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - because before they disappeared up their own arses they were an incedible three piece and, before he started playing 2 hour guitar solos, Jimi was absolutely incredible. I can watch something like 'I Don't Live Today' at the Royal Albert Hall and still be awestruck at how he is creating those weird sounds.

Lighting Bolt - Brian Gibson's riffs. All about the riffs...

IAMX - Chris Corner's voice and his songwriting just seems to get better and better, and I can't help but find myself being influenced by him more and more.

Martin Grech - The dark eccentric genius! Awesome song writer, awesome vocalist, and utterly insane!

Tinariwen - The often bewildering heavy drum beats, the looping ass riffery, the twisted, distorted Arabic guitar and Saharan voices chanting for revolution.

My Bloody Valentine - Because I still can't quite work out how Kevin Shields does it! The 'Loveless' sound just draws me in.

Daft Punk/Justice - Because I want to make my guitar sound like that!

Marty Friedman - Because his guitar sound, feeling and use of Japanese and Arabic scales is amazing.

The Verve - Because Nick McCabe is the most overlooked guitarist of all time (and judging by how poorly the new album has been mixed will be again), but his loose near hit and miss approach and the sonic landscapes of the first Verve album are just amazing.

Mogwai - For the sheer beautiful noise/Explosions In The Sky - for the feeling/Sigur Ros - for the beauty.

Dead Meadow - The awesome riffs and amazing psychadelic vibe.

Rage Against The Machine - The riffs (again)

Radiohead - yeah predictable, but Johnny's discordant noise still does it for me.

...Fuck I still have more to go, but this is getting way too long! :LOL:

Haha :happy:

Yep that's good!

I've never been too sure of the whole 'they're trying too hard to be different' argument though, particularly when it comes to cross-over genres... In the case of 'electro', I feel it's more a case of people wanting to make songs one can dance to but keeping that live band energy.

Tough tits if you don't like it - I missed out on lots of good stuff when I made assumptions based on 3rd party opinions rather than my ears :p

No but you can have a good guess... If someone exclusively lists a whole bunch of guitar-riff based rock bands, I'd be very surprised if it turns out they play 2-step.

Haha! Well I do listen to stuff I don't like occasionally to see if I'm missing out on something, and that was the case with stuff like Incubus and U2. I started hating them both just because it was over played stuff at the time.

I think that's the same reasoning behind not liking Hot Chip. It was all very over played and you couldn't escape the singles once they were released. When people say electro to me I think Bjork or Boards Of Canada.

My attack is more based at the whole shitty indie scene.

in my guitar playing:

jonny greenwood (the biggest influence)

matt bellamy

jimi hendrix

tom morello

eric clapton

graham coxon

in my songwriting:

muse (duh)

mars volta

bob dylan

cut copy

presets

ratm

and basically everything i listen to. especially lesser known stuff (that battle circus band that got posted about here ages back really changed the way i wrote songs)

EDIT: forgot to include classical composers :p

sibelius, grieg, and stravinksy = huge influences in terms of arrangements.

Whatever they were still are.......... it has all been done before and we failed:(

5 lads into Oasis, The Beatles and The Stone Roses theres not a market for that in this day and age however good you are.

What the fuck is this? Have you heard the radio? FFS there will always be a market for that kind of ill conceived drivel.

What the fuck is this? Have you heard the radio? FFS there will always be a market for that kind of ill conceived drivel.

No, about the time when I was gigginb between 2005 to early 2007 the popular choice of bands were silly indie kids with crap hair and tight jeans...5 normal lads were never gonna be able to appose themselves on the industry in that climate. Even though I know we were and still would be better than 90% of the crap out there today.

No, about the time when I was gigginb between 2005 to early 2007 the popular choice of bands were silly indie kids with crap hair and tight jeans...5 normal lads were never gonna be able to appose themselves on the industry in that climate. Even though I know we were and still would be better than 90% of the crap out there today.

So basically Oasis then?

Archived