Guest bshuker

My influences include the following: (no order or whatever, just musicians and/or bands that influence me)

John Petrucci, Jordan Rudess, John Patitucci, Victor Wooten, George Benson, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Paul Gilbert, Joe Pass, Ted Greene, Allan Holdsworth, Frank Gambale, Chick Corea, Yngwie Malmsteen, Al Di Meola, Guthrie Govan, Opeth, Dream Theater (yeah I know I mentioned two of the members but as a band it is a musical influence, the individuals for other reasons), Greg Howe, Hiromi Uehara, Tony MacAlpine, Marty Friedman, Jason Becker, Muhammed Suicmez, Randy Rhoads, Pink Floyd, Return To Forever, Rush, Sikth, Toto, Devin Townsend, Hans Zimmer, James Newton Howard, John Williams, Michael Romeo (Symphony X), Van Halen....

+ many others from all styles and genres.

Highlighting just a few however my main influences as a guitarist come from Petrucci, Holdsworth, Govan, Vai, Howe and Gambale.

I included reasons with mine cos i r that bored

AC/DC - the band that influenced me to pick up a guitar

Green Day - even though theyre really simple i love their basslines

Foo Fighters - just because

Enter Shikari - for blending heavy guitars with synths (yes, I know they werent the first to do it before anyone jumps on me about it)

Muse - Good basslines and wierd guitar fuckery with lushy synthy stuff

Nine Inch Nails - NOMNOMNOM

Guest bshuker
clearly a shredder heh

You say that, but I'm really not. I aspire to be able to play to that level sure, but I really just draw from those guys musically, a lot of those artists tend to have much more interesting arrangements and melodies than most.

Some of these lists look very strange to me. An influence should be someone who you steal ideas from basically, not just anyone who's music you like.

If that's aimed at me at all, then yeah it looks like a hell of a long list but if I didn't mention any of those guys it'd really not be comprehensive enough, there are way more artists I listen to that I just enjoy but really don't tend to draw my own playing and writing from. Also on that note if I were to skip them it wouldn't paint the right kind of picture of my playing (say if i missed out the jazzers or the classical type stuff)

I think some of you need to stfu. Who cares who someone likes and who theyre influenced by, it does not make them gay, it does not make them fail. if they like it, and you dont, who cares, its all music, itd be boring if everyone liked the same and was influenced by the same...

As for meeeeeeeeee:

Muse

Rage Against The Machine

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Jimi Hendrix

Weezer

Nirvana

The White Stripes

You say that, but I'm really not. I aspire to be able to play to that level sure, but I really just draw from those guys musically, a lot of those artists tend to have much more interesting arrangements and melodies than most.

If that's aimed at me at all, then yeah it looks like a hell of a long list but if I didn't mention any of those guys it'd really not be comprehensive enough, there are way more artists I listen to that I just enjoy but really don't tend to draw my own playing and writing from. Also on that note if I were to skip them it wouldn't paint the right kind of picture of my playing (say if i missed out the jazzers or the classical type stuff)

was just the fact that someone with satch, yngwie, dream theater etc... in their influences clearly likes that style of playing.

I think some of you need to stfu. Who cares who someone likes and who theyre influenced by, it does not make them gay, it does not make them fail. if they like it, and you dont, who cares, its all music, itd be boring if everyone liked the same and was influenced by the same...

As for meeeeeeeeee:

Muse

Rage Against The Machine

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Jimi Hendrix

Weezer

Nirvana

The White Stripes

:rolleyes: Every one's allowed to disagree on others influences, other wise this wouldn't be a very good discussion thread now would it Mr Nirvana man.

You're influenced by Hot chip therefore fail. :p I knew what you were getting at. But the point I was trying to make is I don't hear anything there that even remotely gives me ideas.

I could say the same thing about most of the bands you posted!

Explain further your influences and maybe I'll understand better :)

Guest bshuker
was just the fact that someone with satch, yngwie, dream theater etc... in their influences clearly likes that style of playing.

Aye of course, I love it you're not wrong there, just personally as a player not so much the shredder. :)

:rolleyes: Every one's allowed to disagree on others influences, other wise this wouldn't be a very good discussion thread now would it Mr Nirvana man.

Disagreeings one thing, but "omg edit0rz and hawt chip, u fail" is another...

:p

Well it's not the vocals...

Mainly production/instrumentation ideas to get a good danceable groove and cutting, angular guitar lines that sit right on top without making it a guitar song.

The first album is a masterpiece. :)

Do you not think that the producer is the one actually influencing you?

Archived