:rolleyes: Every one's allowed to disagree on others influences, other wise this wouldn't be a very good discussion thread now would it Mr Nirvana man.

I guess the point of it is that you can guestimate what someone's music is like from their list of influences... You can not like an artist on the list but disagreeing that they're an influence is well gay

If that's aimed at me at all, then yeah it looks like a hell of a long list but if I didn't mention any of those guys it'd really not be comprehensive enough, there are way more artists I listen to that I just enjoy but really don't tend to draw my own playing and writing from. Also on that note if I were to skip them it wouldn't paint the right kind of picture of my playing (say if i missed out the jazzers or the classical type stuff)

It wasn't aimed at you. I was mainly thinking of one pretentious twat who I won't name because that wouldn't be very nice.

Absolutely, along with the team of songwriters... It's just easier to say the band than a whole list of people no-one's heard of!

I'm just glad I got to the bottom of it! Phew

I actually love the first Robbie Williams album for the same sort of reasons.

Oh Sam :kiss:

My style has turned a bit different since I started having lessons - my teacher is a blues/jazz guitarist, so...

BUT

My influences are mainly (listing guitarists only, since that's what I am)..in order of how much they've influenced me I suppose:

Matt Bellamy (Muse)

Jimi Hendrix

Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin)

Tim Wheeler (Ash)

EVH

Tom Morello (Rage Against The Machine)

There are some others, too.

I see my influences as people who inspired me to do make my own music rather than people I want to sound like. Sometimes the songs I make up will end up sounding like a certain band I'm influenced by but it's usually fused with lots of other things. Just cause you're nfluenced by them doesn't mean you have to be them.

I see my influences as people who inspired me to do make my own music rather than people I want to sound like. Sometimes the songs I make up will end up sounding like a certain band I'm influenced by but it's usually fused with lots of other things. Just cause you're nfluenced by them doesn't mean you have to be them.

Well said

I try to sound different, but I end up failing haha

Oh Sam :kiss:

My style has turned a bit different since I started having lessons - my teacher is a blues/jazz guitarist, so...

BUT

My influences are mainly (listing guitarists only, since that's what I am)..in order of how much they've influenced me I suppose:

Matt Bellamy (Muse)

Jimi Hendrix

Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin)

Tim Wheeler (Ash)

EVH

Tom Morello (Rage Against The Machine)

There are some others, too.

Every guitarist there has influenced me in some way or another but I'm glad someone mentioned Tim Wheeler. Alot of people forget about Ash:(

Disagreeings one thing, but "omg edit0rz and hawt chip, u fail" is another...

Actually no. Everyone has a personell preference so is entiteld to post what they think. If we all went around being overly polite it would be a boring board now.

I could say the same thing about most of the bands you posted!

Explain further your influences and maybe I'll understand better :)

My influences were mostly for the actual guitar sounds and the way the people approach guitar.

QOTSA- mainly because throughout the years they've been playing they've kept their sound without having to change it to suit the needs of their label etc. The guitar for me on the songs for the deaf album is exactly how a guitar should sound.

Radiohead- 14 years going and they still have a sound I can really connect to. The song writing and general production from everything since the bends is great.

M00ZE- Mainly for the piano's really, bell0rz is the one who made me really want to aspire to that level of playing and expression.

Rocco Deluca- They way the man plays slide guitar is pretty much the reason I really started heavily listening/playing bluegrass. The production for the style of music doesn't fit it perfectly but it works.

Tool- They prove but simple riffs are best. There's no real trickery or lavishly fast shredding. Sort of what I use to keep grounded from going a million miles an hour on the fret board.

Dream theater- The musical arrangements are nothing short of lush. Pretentious music yes, but it has it's place when used in the right context. The band's work is epic and I find it hard to fault many of their songs.

Opeth- Great at making songs really twist around and surprise you. Same goes with their albums. It's not predictable and that's what attracts me so much to the band as musicians.

Enough explanation? For me Editors aspire to sound like everyone else. That's what I can't stand. Same with some of the electro bands around. They try so hard to sound different that they actually go the opposite way and end up sounding like the rest.

I've TRIED playing the piano, just cause of M00ZE. I can't really play piano that well tbh.

I'm mainly influenced by b3llz3ndz guitar playing more than his piano playing to be honest - I find that a lot of the riffs I write sound like Muse riffs (not ripping them off of course, they've just got that same type of..something.. ack)

I guess the point of it is that you can guestimate what someone's music is like from their list of influences... You can not like an artist on the list but disagreeing that they're an influence is well gay

I don't think you can really base an opinion on what some one's music sounds like by just reading their influences. There's a hell of a lot of influences that I haven't listed because I play so many different types of music.

russian circles - how to be in a band that only has one guitarist and be awesome

martin grech - how to write amazing songs and sing well

tool - how to be cool

a perfect circle - see tool

nine inch nails - how to use a synth, laptop and still rock out

I need to check out russian circles based on your other influences!

i could be here all day, bit difficult to list a concise list of influences when you're in different bands playing different things.

when i go into rag doll girl practises - captain beefheart, hendrix, led zepplin, 80's matchbox, nirvana, daisy chainsaw, sonic youth, jon spencer blues explosion, crass, dead kennedys, white stripes... even pink floyd oddly enough

3rd storey chemist - burial, aphex twin, melt banana, coil, throbbing gristle, depeche mode, LFO, boards of canada, at the drive-in, squarepusher, soulwax, ladytron, roni size, radiohead, bjork, simian mobile disco, justice, four tet, does it offend you yeah?, autechre, the normal, some pop, 90's dance etc...

Archived