Do you like The Globalist?  

397 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like The Globalist?

• Yes
    • Somewhat
    • No

I find it baffling that people still say the globalist beginning is a complete l'arena rip-off and Morricone should be credited. While it's an obvious homage (with the whistling and orchestration and everything) the chord progression and whistling melodies are different (for example L'arena starts with Dm, then moves to G, F and Bb, Muse uses the classic andalusian cadence in the beginning Am G,F,E). They are very similar of course but Morricone would/should be credited only if the melodies were *identical*, right?

Am, G, F, E... is that a general example of the cadence, or of The Globalist's use of it? Because then The Globalist is in C.

(vi V IV III)

Am, G, F, E... is that a general example of the cadence, or of The Globalist's use of it? Because then The Globalist is in C.

(vi V IV III)

I think the first time it goes like AmGFE and then it changes and goes to AmDmGF and then goes to C chord. I *think* :p

This song would have been a PERFECT album opener. It's the perfect buildup. Or, an album ender.

I reckon they've kicked themselves over this song because being a sort of concept album, they had to keep The Globalist where it fit with the lyrical story.

But can anyone imagine this opening live? :happy:

Actually, lyrically, this song is a separate narrative from the rest of the album, I think along with Drones which is why they close it.

This song would have been a PERFECT album opener. It's the perfect buildup. Or, an album ender.

I reckon they've kicked themselves over this song because being a sort of concept album, they had to keep The Globalist where it fit with the lyrical story.

But can anyone imagine this opening live? :happy:

It might yet be the end of the album, we still don't know what Drones is. Mutt described it as the end of the album so who knows.

Also, 9-10 minutes is too long for a main set opener, it'd probably be more appropriate as an encore opener. To be honest, I'm not sure how they're gonna play it considering the 3 different guitar parts we've heard so far. Maybe Morgan will play the acoustic part while Matt does the slide on a 7-string?

That orchestral part is just won't work live because without proper orchestra they will have to play it just as a backing track, and I doubt they'll do that.

But maybe they will make different live intro for the song...

Well they've previously said that they can play the full album live, and have mentioned doing full album gigs, so that's probably not the case.

Yeah, hope so.

But anyway I don't think that The Globalist will be a regular part of the setlist, so don't expect it to be played at the festivals. Maybe those full album gigs (it they will happen) will be the only opportunities to see it live.

Why?

Because it sounds like it will be pretty calm and atmospheric part, and as a backing track I think it will sound just... weak. Even with acoustic guitar and slide over it. But we'll see, hope I'm wrong.

Lots of info about the song today.

From yesterday french magazine "Long intro, western style wistled melody, bolero rythm & Floyd guitars. Quite epic!"

From today italian review which says it's pretty much the best song of the album,then talks about thing we already know, the L'Arena whistles, epic song, and such..

Isn't all of that info we already had?

Yarp.

Slightly concerned that it doesn't really sound like there's much in the song to warrant it being 9-12 minutes long. From what we know, the only parts seem to be Whistling + acoustic > slide guitar > metal riff/heavy section > dramatic piano + strings outro. Hope it doesn't feel overly-long and strechted out for no reason like Psycho :erm: