Wonder if that means it's gonna be in their plans for the 360 tour.

It'd fit well alongside JFK.

I don't understand these sets though. I mean I can understand dropping old songs to provide a mixture of greatest hits and promotion for the album, but they're not even doing that.

CE and AP aren't hits. Unsustainable isn't even a song really, it's a jam. It makes sense in the context of an album, or as a transition song for the T2L tour, but why the fuck are they playing it right now, in the middle of a set? Why the actual fuck are they playing Prelude?

And for a Drones promotional tour, it's strange that a) there is about an hour of non-Drones songs between Dead Inside and Mercy, and b) one of their best live songs in years is being wasted. Closing the set with Reapers, a high-energy blast of guitar insanity, would be the absolute best way to leave a lasting positive impression of your new album.

Muse logic.

I don't understand these sets though. I mean I can understand dropping old songs to provide a mixture of greatest hits and promotion for the album, but they're not even doing that.

CE and AP aren't hits. Unsustainable isn't even a song really, it's a jam. It makes sense in the context of an album, or as a transition song for the T2L tour, but why the fuck are they playing it right now, in the middle of a set? Why the actual fuck are they playing Prelude?

And for a Drones promotional tour, it's strange that a) there is about an hour of non-Drones songs between Dead Inside and Mercy, and b) one of their best live songs in years is being wasted. Closing the set with Reapers, a high-energy blast of guitar insanity, would be the absolute best way to leave a lasting positive impression of your new album.

Muse logic.

I think the Drones Tour set will be different than what we are seeing as it will likely have a narrative that fits with the stage production.

Muse logic.

CE and AP show they do actually play some of their better older songs instead of just stuffing the set with 8 or 9 pop songs that while decent are hardly spectacular live.

I agree about Unsustainable. It would make sense if it opened an encore I guess...

I think the Drones Tour set will be different than what we are seeing as it will likely have a narrative that fits with the stage production.

I'd think they'd play at least Revolt and Defector semi-regularly on the tour, and probably wheel out The Globalist a few times.

hate the whole "come on guys, sing along with me now! Yeah!" thing in Starlight. He tried that with us in Exeter and we all silently fucking stared him down. Such a shit come down after a steady run of Futurism, MM, SS, Bliss et al.

aww how sad.. I would have sang along with him

hate the whole "come on guys, sing along with me now! Yeah!" thing in Starlight. He tried that with us in Exeter and we all silently fucking stared him down. Such a shit come down after a steady run of Futurism, MM, SS, Bliss et al.

iirc that was the point at which I took my piss break (my friend took his before Reapers and has regretted it ever since)

I've already ranted a bit about Matt singing over the intro to Resistance but the "ooohOOOOHHhoowheurrghghhgeurrrrrghh" over the intro to Starlight is just as annoying. If it wasn't cheesy enough already...

At Webster Hall, Starlight popped up after Bliss and a bunch of people groaned. One of my buddies turned to me and said "He just can't help it, can he?"

hate the whole "come on guys, sing along with me now! Yeah!" thing in Starlight. He tried that with us in Exeter and we all silently fucking stared him down.

Yes. All of you. Complete silence :p

https://youtu.be/bpnXYdU3Kic?t=47

https://youtu.be/bpnXYdU3Kic?t=95

The yt tags don't seem to work if you link to a specific time...

Edited by Johi36

I think it's okay when Matt lets the crowd sing the first chorus of Uprising. It's a great and obvious sing-a-long moment. But I don't think it works quite as well in the first chorus of Starlight. It's just too much when the obvious moment is in the breakdown bit, which is also an obvious one.

At U2 last week, Bono sang the first line of One and then made the crowd sing the rest of the whole fucking thing. Didn't think that worked tbh.

Speaking of that, this one comes to my mind:

"I can't be arsed to sing it anymore, so I count to four and then off you go".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOrt2vvNN-Y

I don't mind the occasional sing-along bits, I think Matt hits the right balance with them. The groaning over intros to songs like Starlight and Resistance makes me cringe though. Put that together with some of his phrases like "Put your hands together" and "Sing it/Let me hear you" and it can feel a bit 'cookie-cutter frontman' at times, for want of a better phrase.

It sounds a bit cliche/nit-picky but I preferred it when he mostly just let his playing do the talking. Some of the diva-ish elements he's added over the last 5/6 years just make me feel a bit...uncomfortable.

I was dragged to see 30STM last year, and it felt like every single song was at least half sing along, with a bunch of call and response "whoa oh ohs" in between all those crowd sung songs.

Wasn't into the show in the first place, but it felt really shitty.

Yeah, Jared Leto is probably one of the main offenders for that (if not the worst) :LOL: I seem to remember something about him damaging his voice at some point so I dunno if that ever factored into it.

Edited by Jobby

A lot of posturing and saying the same things at the same places seemed to come in at the same rate as the visual elements escalated. Becomes a bit more of a choreographed event at that point, and loses the feel of spontaneity and energy.

There's a video from the stadium tour where Matt fucks up and thinks they're on Panic Station, and they have to start the song over - and omg, you can tell what song he thought it was because he's standing and holding the mic in the same exact way...

I guess part of that is my fault for watching so many videos, and if that was my only time seeing that part of the gig, I wouldn't have felt the same way.

Overall I think Muse still has a good balance with those sorts of things, even if I'd like it to be less choreographed (because with that I'd also like a diminished focus on visuals.)

I don't know what the good answer is once a singer has damaged their voice... but I don't think making people pay to see the crowd sing entire songs is an acceptable answer.