I think TR Tour was the start of a lot of 'modern live Muse'. The piano section started to shrink, Matt stopped playing piano for New Born so he could wander about with the mic, gimmicks like flashing suits/glasses and light-refracting prisms were introduced, the whole band started spending time on the ego ramp (which now had to elevate and flash, obviously), stage production started to swallow up the show and restrict setlists.

Then, you move onto the T2L Tour and even more gets added. Matt's lying down at times, he's stopped playing guitar for Blackout and Guiding Light, the moaning over intros to songs starts, 'silly' visuals like Dom doing martial arts and dancing politicians for Panic Station, actors on-stage during songs, Matt even leaves the stage to be replaced with a pre-recorded(?) video of him interacting with the actors, giant cardboard robots etc. Though, granted, the production was less restrictive, setlists became a bit more flexible and the performances generally had a bit more life in them.

You could argue some small elements of it started during the BH&R Tour (ego ramp introduced, stage show started to bulk up a bit, acrobats) but it wasn't to an overbearing level. Blackout is a prime example of some of these changes for me, comparing the HAARP performance to the T2L performances. That, and the fact that interviewers have gone from hyping them up for how powerful they sound live to pretty much only talking about the stages and productions.

Soz, didn't mean to write an essay, just some things I noticed.

I was dragged to see 30STM last year, and it felt like every single song was at least half sing along, with a bunch of call and response "whoa oh ohs" in between all those crowd sung songs.

Wasn't into the show in the first place, but it felt really shitty.

Yeah sadly Jared is known for that, seen videos where he lets the crowd sing almost entire songs. Luckily for me when I saw him he wasn't sick/was in a good mood so he sung about 90% of the words, seems to be a bit of a rare occurrence though. If Matt ever turns into that I'll cry :LOL:

Yeah, Jared Leto is probably one of the main offender's for that (if not the worst) :LOL: I seem to remember something about him damaging his voice at some point so I dunno if that ever factored into it.

He did on the This Is War tour pretty badly but he'd been doing it ever since they got big around the Beautiful Lie era, think it's just part of his "I want to jump around on stage willy nilly and run around a lot" stage persona

anyway back on topic

I preferred it when they said basically bugger all tbh :erm:.

This This This This. When I saw them on TR tour Matt said "hello Sydney!" like 3 times and after Feeling Good pointed to a seated section and said "c'mon guys get up stop sitting!" and I honestly preferred that over all his awkward chit chat on T2L tour, it's okay if you're good at your stage talk but Matt's really awkward about it

None of the antics on the TR or the T2L tour really bothered me, tbh. (Except the pillars were cool for one song and then I kinda hated them...)

The visuals for Survival and Uprising last tour were rather embarrassing, and completely at odds with stuff like the ones for Animals.

But, overall, good.

The flashy outfits and such I kind of like in an ott way. Not something you see every day. Clearly people who are beyond being embarrassed like normal folks. Nothing wrong with that.

Some of the stuff on the stadium tour, however, just went too far. The actors, the overplayed acrobat hanging from shit (a lightbulb..?!?) and a continued slide of the visuals into the Survival/Uprising side of things (yup, PS, the coffin, etc) - although the clones of the band shots during Uprising (iirc?) were cool - I don't think I would have even enjoyed live.

I fear I remember the band talking about bringing more of that sort of thing into the Drones 360, too. :'(

None of the antics on the TR or the T2L tour really bothered me, tbh.

Oh yeah, I wasn't saying I disliked all of them (I liked the flashing clothes and some of the visuals + I think their sound has improved too, with the exception of Matt's voice this year). I was just pointing out the ways that they'd changed and how they'd kinda morphed into what they are now.

Forgot to mention that the piano section has become almost non-existent at this point too, now that's a bad one :(

Edited by Jobby

I love, love, love watching Matt play on the piano songs, but I also get that it's not ideal for him performing. And honestly, is terribly difficult to see unless you've got a sweet spot.

Since they seem to have ditched most of their great piano songs permanently, and we'd likely be looking at FG, USoE in addition to AP, I guess I'm okay to let that part go.

I've completely given myself waking nightmares now of actors parading around on the round stage, blocking any remaining view of the band.

Off topic: I saw Oasis once, ages ago, and all I remember is one of the brothers acting pained and bored through half the set, which I believed to be a really embarrassing act.. until he swore and walked off stage and didn't come back for the rest of the set.

Which I was still convinced was an act.

Then, you move onto the T2L Tour and even more gets added. Matt's lying down at times, he's stopped playing guitar for Blackout and Guiding Light, the moaning over intros to songs starts, 'silly' visuals like Dom doing martial arts and dancing politicians for Panic Station, actors on-stage during songs, Matt even leaves the stage to be replaced with a pre-recorded(?) video of him interacting with the actors, giant cardboard robots etc.

yeah why would they put any effort into productions. what's wrong with just four dudes rocking out on a stage. :indiff:

yeah why would they put any effort into productions. what's wrong with just four dudes rocking out on a stage. :indiff:

For the record, I'm not saying 'get rid of the production'. I just think there's a point where it becomes distracting and overbearing. Like, y'know...having actors and 10ft robots on-stage.

The satellites are a little bit garish but the BH&R stadium setup got it right imo. Even TR's wasn't bad, I just didn't like the fact that the stage had such a relatively low roof. It made the band look more closed off and harder to see, almost like you were watching them through a window.

For the people who have been to gigs this tour, how have Dom's drums sounded? I thought they were mic'd perfectly on the T2L tour, but I've noticed just from videos this tour that his main crash cymbal is not very audible. I know that could just be the mix though.

I do wish his toms had a little more life to them. He started making them sound more dead starting on TR tour I think.

If I remember correctly, Muse were pretty static during the BH&R days; they move/jump around more these days.

I'm also glad Matt has decided to play guitar parts again, that really frustrated me on the last tour. But as someone said, he doesn't do as much improvisation during songs as he used too

At U2 last week, Bono sang the first line of One and then made the crowd sing the rest of the whole fucking thing. Didn't think that worked tbh.

I was at that gig and really enjoyed what they did with One; it's a song that everyone in the crowd knows the words to and makes for a good sing along for the final song. Despite it being one of my favs I wasn't disappointed that he didn't sing much of it, everyone around me seemed pretty into it as well but each to their own :)

3 or 4 dudes rocking out on stage would be perfect, actually... You know, like most concerts.

For small gigs like on the Psycho Tour, it was perfect. At bigger venues (arenas and above), I like some kind of visual element though, especially for a band as bombastic and 'colourful' as Muse. Nowt major though, my ideal is just a big screen for visuals as a backdrop like Leeds/Reading 2011.

I strongly agree with the anti-stage-actors thing. I really don't need them either. Please don't return. Please.

See, I can be critical of Muse, too. A bit. :LOL:

I'd love more piano songs. I was watching Space Dementia from the Hullabaloo DVD and wow, I want that. :happy:

I strongly agree with the anti-stage-actors thing. I really don't need them either. Please don't return. Please.

See, I can be critical of Muse, too. A bit. :LOL:

I'd love more piano songs. I was watching Space Dementia from the Hullabaloo DVD and wow, I want that. :happy:

Part of me feels like they could use actors again, given how 'story driven' the production sounds like it's going to be this time. I'm just praying they realise that was a mistake last time.

inb4 the entire gig is just actors performing a screenplay of Drones while Muse play backstage via video screens

everyone here wants space dementia back I guess....but matt seems a bit piano tired lately :rolleyes:

Matt's edged away from the piano (live, at least) for years now, ever since TR Tour or even the BH&R Tour. I don't think it's so much about him being tired though, he's come out before and said that he feels he can just perform more with a guitar.

Though, personally, I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't be bothered about him flailing about if they were hearing Sunburn/RBS/Megalomania/AP/Space Dementia etc. Especially if it was only for two or three songs.

Edited by Jobby

Don't give them ideas. :eek::mad:

I can see it now.

> 20 minute intervals after The Handler and Aftermath (vendors make the rounds selling Muse-patented ice cream and sweets)

> 10 minute encore break after Drones so Matt can catch his breath from not performing

> Band finally comes on-stage after 1 hour and 45 minutes, everyone cheers

> Chris raises a harmonica to his lips

> Everyone leaves