Really hope they haven't gone in too hard with the OoS approach. I would love the songs to have the same sense of intensity but there different musically as a band now so I'm hoping they restrict themselves from making it sound like the ghost of OoS. You see so many bands try and replicate earlier material years afterwards and fail. Then again this is Matt so he was probably talking a load of bollocks and/or has changed his mind several times since he done the interview. The teasers we've had don't really sound very OoS anyway.
He didn't exactly say the whole album would sound like OoS.

He didn't exactly say the whole album would sound like OoS.

Yeah. Quite the opposite actually.

It's just a mindset he tried to get into while he was writing one specific song that may not make it onto the album. He makes pretty clear that they're trying to do something they've never done before, which should exclude an album that sounds like OOS.

He made it seen like he was basing certain elements of the whole album in that way. Of course this is all pure speculation like most things at this stage
Yes, the stripping back of the instruments. Nothing else.

He literally says that they don't want to do the same thing twice.

Citizen Part 2 as a b-side then?

Probably.

Remember when Matt (I think) said that T2L reminded him of OOS? And remember how that album turned out?

I remember him saying they were experimenting with new styles, similar to how OoS was experimentation for them. This sounds a bit different to me.

I remember him saying they were experimenting with new styles, similar to how OoS was experimentation for them. This sounds a bit different to me.

Maybe something like that. Regardless, I guess what I'm saying is that maybe we shouldn't take Matt's word as gospel about what the album is going to sound like.

Maybe something like that. Regardless, I guess what I'm saying is that maybe we shouldn't take Matt's word as gospel about what the album is going to sound like.
Well the actual quote doesn't really support your argument at all.

And can we please stop with the "Don't trust Matt/Muse"? We've been hearing about the back to basics-thing since day one, and it still hasn't changed even when the album is finished. This is what we're getting, and it's not comparable to what Matt has said before even going into the studio for previous albums.

Don't be a naysayer without even properly knowing the quote or who said it. Dom said it and he said that it reminded him of OoS in that it was a very eclectic grouping of songs, and Matt said that each track was produced with the mentality to be a single. So there. What Matt is saying now is completely different both in the sonic level and on a level of coherence as an album.