GOOD

now this gives you the opportunity to restring correctly!

Nah, D, G, B, and E, were already fine - it was the low E and A I messed up, but it was the high E that broke, haha!

Also, checked my G string midi output problem with two GK cables separately and had the same issue - seems like a circuit board connection then?

Quick question as I reckon my rectifier valve's gone again. As the fuse didn't go, I left the amp on briefly to try and figure out why there was no sound coming out, and then noticed a faint burning kind of smell at the back, so obviously turned it off. Nothing visible to suggest what was causing it, but is it anything to be worried about for the future? Ordered a replacement rectifier valve anyway which hopefully solves that, just want to know I don't need to panic about long term damage to the amp with any luck. Can't exactly afford to replace that. :$

Quick question as I reckon my rectifier valve's gone again. As the fuse didn't go, I left the amp on briefly to try and figure out why there was no sound coming out, and then noticed a faint burning kind of smell at the back, so obviously turned it off. Nothing visible to suggest what was causing it, but is it anything to be worried about for the future? Ordered a replacement rectifier valve anyway which hopefully solves that, just want to know I don't need to panic about long term damage to the amp with any luck. Can't exactly afford to replace that. :$

Could be one of the other valves. Do any of the four smaller valves (the EL84s in the power section) look like they've gone bad?

I don't think you'd be getting any power if the rectifier was bad. It would probably just blow the fuse and shut off, but I've never actually had one of those go bad... they should last quite a while.

Is there a place that you can have it serviced? Wouldn't really mess around with this sort of thing unless you're me. :facepalm:

Nah, the other valves looked fine, and the rectifier has gone before - apparently it's a bit of an issue on that model of amp that those from the first years of production would often have the rectifiers go every couple of years. The last time it went, it blew the fuse though. This time, the amp was still running but I was getting no sound out of it. If a new rectifier doesn't solve it, I'll have to test the power tubes I guess, but they all looked fine. Hopefully there's nothing else that was causing any problem though, or I'm screwed, haha!

Nah, the other valves looked fine, and the rectifier has gone before - apparently it's a bit of an issue on that model of amp that those from the first years of production would often have the rectifiers go every couple of years. The last time it went, it blew the fuse though. This time, the amp was still running but I was getting no sound out of it. If a new rectifier doesn't solve it, I'll have to test the power tubes I guess, but they all looked fine.

Obvious question, but the speaker cable didn't get unplugged, did it?

Can only imagine your disappointment playing the first three muted bits of supremacy and the amp exploding before you get to the fourth one.

Haha, nah, actually, I turned it on, and no sound came out from the start, but the fuse hadn't blown - cables was the first thing I checked. It was only after I was sure it wasn't the guitar or cables that I looked at the amp. From what I've heard, it sounds like it probably was the rectifier, but the small burning smell is the one thing that's making me worry, as I'm guessing that would be something different, and I don't want anything to be damaged that can't be easily replaced.

Might have to call Jaicen back in again XD.

You know I mentioned about how I was losing G string midi output from my Hexpander circuit? I tested with both my GK cables separately, just going direct into the GR-55 and had the same issue. The problem is that the piezo circuit works fine, and when I asked Tim about it, he said he doesn't think it can be a connection on the board because the piezo and midi boards are joined together so...does anyone familiar with the Graphtech circuits and/or the Roland midi stuff know what could potentially be the problem? Here's a video showing the GR-55 input sensitivity where you can see the G string has dropped out until I strum hard enough to get it back. It kept happening from time to time and the signal would come and go.

K23ND1tmZCE

I'll be back online on Tuesday if anyone has any ideas until then? XD

Might have to call Jaicen back in again XD.

You know I mentioned about how I was losing G string midi output from my Hexpander circuit? I tested with both my GK cables separately, just going direct into the GR-55 and had the same issue. The problem is that the piezo circuit works fine, and when I asked Tim about it, he said he doesn't think it can be a connection on the board because the piezo and midi boards are joined together so...does anyone familiar with the Graphtech circuits and/or the Roland midi stuff know what could potentially be the problem? Here's a video showing the GR-55 input sensitivity where you can see the G string has dropped out until I strum hard enough to get it back. It kept happening from time to time and the signal would come and go.

K23ND1tmZCE

I'll be back online on Tuesday if anyone has any ideas until then? XD

All I can imagine is that the saddle is damaged. I had a similar issue with one of my guitars where the sound on the low E was REALLY weak compared to the other strings, and it would come back if you pressed against the string where it rests on the saddle.

This isn't part of the bridge magician's work, is it?

edit: Actually, watching the video (I got a bit excited and decided to post first :$ ) that seems to be something different... I still wouldn't dismiss what I said above though

I should have my CE-7 sent back next week. I've had it changed from a . fifty-something gauge to a .70 for drop A :ninja:

I also got a coil tap for my MA-2 which is great :)

I've still got the .060 on mine, but it's tuned to B.

When do you get your MB-1?

Hey, this is my first post in Kit & Tab, but this general discussion seems to be the best place to ask since its not quite specific enough to make a whole new thread about it and I'm sure it can be answered quickly and simply by all you with knowhow and the knowledge etc:

Does having a Sustainer (101 version) in a guitar make it into an 'active' guitar? The other pickup is a Mississippi Queen, humbucker-sized. I had the guitar for years now, love it to bits, but I need to buy a volume pedal and I'm uncertain as to what type of volume pedal I should get, passive or active, and whether this will effect use of other guitars through said pedal, as my others are definitely passive.

Below is a pretty unrepresentative photo of the guitar if anyone is interested in what it looks like. Taken just after it was modified, the base guitar was a PRS (SE:rolleyes:) Santana

http://i.imgur.com/1D1iME2.jpg?1

Hey, this is my first post in Kit & Tab, but this general discussion seems to be the best place to ask since its not quite specific enough to make a whole new thread about it and I'm sure it can be answered quickly and simply by all you with knowhow and the knowledge etc:

Does having a Sustainer (101 version) in a guitar make it into an 'active' guitar? The other pickup is a Mississippi Queen, humbucker-sized. I had the guitar for years now, love it to bits, but I need to buy a volume pedal and I'm uncertain as to what type of volume pedal I should get, passive or active, and whether this will effect use of other guitars through said pedal, as my others are definitely passive.

Below is a pretty unrepresentative photo of the guitar if anyone is interested in what it looks like. Taken just after it was modified, the base guitar was a PRS (SE:rolleyes:) Santana

http://i.imgur.com/1D1iME2.jpg?1

hi

it doesn't make it into an active guitar. i've got the ernie ball VP jr 250k (for passive electronics) and it works fine.

With an mq, I would go with a 500k minimum. A passsive volume pedal will parallel with your guitar vol, so you might lose some brightness if the value is too low.

Yeah I didn't understand that. EB doesn't seem to make a 500k volume pedal :confused:

edit: at least one without a bunch of additional features

That moment when you read someone on TGP is running their setup like this

power conditioner to stabilize voltage > variable auto transformer for vintage correct 110 volts > new amp meant to run on 120 volts, loaded with the finest NOS tubes costing close to 2 grand > a shit ton of digital pedals > homemade parts caster with handwound PAF replica pickups!

Sense. It makes none.

Anyone up for a K&T meet up or two in the first week of June? London or Exeter - your choice.

I think musecasters is confirmed (which probably means rust_relic is too) but I haven't asked anyone else yet.

you doing Download festival James??

That moment when you read someone on TGP is running their setup like this

power conditioner to stabilize voltage > variable auto transformer for vintage correct 110 volts > new amp meant to run on 120 volts, loaded with the finest NOS tubes costing close to 2 grand > a shit ton of digital pedals > homemade parts caster with handwound PAF replica pickups!

Sense. It makes none.

I can only imagine the general reaction to that setup :LOL:

I can only imagine the general reaction to that setup :LOL:

That's the thing... they don't see it as unusual :facepalm:

you doing Download festival James??

I was considering it, but it doesn't seem worth it just to go for one band. Are you going?

I could do London

We'll have to arrange something then. I don't hear you rave about nandos anymore - have your tastes matured? Because I still want to try it at least once.

I was considering it, but it doesn't seem worth it just to go for one band. Are you going?

I'm doing saturday/sunday. Muse for me and Motley Crue for the good lady

Did a brief K&T sesh last time I was at Download with Sam and Bshuker. Many lols were had that weekend, including Sam going to the Black Camp help desk and asking for help 'cos he was black.

Will he ever be unbanned....??

I'm doing saturday/sunday. Muse for me and Motley Crue for the good lady

Did a brief K&T sesh last time I was at Download with Sam and Bshuker. Many lols were had that weekend, including Sam going to the Black Camp help desk and asking for help 'cos he was black.

Will he ever be unbanned....??

I was thinking of just doing saturday, but...

Sam would do that. I don't think he's going to have his ban lifted, but I don't think he's interested in the KnTs anymore. Does he still play guitar? I knew he quit (a few times) but last I heard he was G.A.S.-ing over one of those reissue starcasters

Also, Jaicen...

April 6, 2015 , 10:37 am

Delivered

Oh yes... there will be sludge.

I was thinking of just doing saturday, but...

Sam would do that. I don't think he's going to have his ban lifted, but I don't think he's interested in the KnTs anymore. Does he still play guitar? I knew he quit (a few times) but last I heard he was G.A.S.-ing over one of those reissue starcasters.

He did, but he changes his mind every two seconds. Saw my old AC30 stack and got GAS over it

We'll have to arrange something then. I don't hear you rave about nandos anymore - have your tastes matured? Because I still want to try it at least once.

Nah, still love a #cheeky Nandos from time to time. Just been distracted with my dissertation due in a month and how I still don't even have an idea for it