It's a valve-only amp. As for the custom, I'm pretty sure it was just the raw aluminium. On some of the pictures of 001, it looks quite shiny, almost mirror-like where there's not swirls which is kind of cool, but I wouldn't say mine's as reflective as that, it's just the light hitting the swirls and bouncing off, without it being polished underneath, if yours was? Slightly different finish, I think, but both look cool. I have photos of it before it was swirled obviously I can dig those up if you like, though you've seen them before.

It's a valve-only amp. As for the custom, I'm pretty sure it was just the raw aluminium. On some of the pictures of 001, it looks quite shiny, almost mirror-like where there's not swirls which is kind of cool, but I wouldn't say mine's as reflective as that, it's just the light hitting the swirls and bouncing off, without it being polished underneath, if yours was? Slightly different finish, I think, but both look cool. I have photos of it before it was swirled obviously I can dig those up if you like, though you've seen them before.

Yeah, I know mesa does some amps with switchable rectifiers (I think the stiletto was one of them) but this one doesn't have that feature. It's all about the sag you get from a valve rectifier etc

Speaking of sag, TGP must be responsible for quite a bit of content on the mesa website.

the Lone Star Special delivers seductive, bubbly tone and a sensual, elastic feel.

Actually, no, if you posted anything like that on TGP, you'd be banned for the rest of your life (about 15-20 years for most of them)

And yeah I know what pictures you're referring to. I think 001 must have been polished a bit - yours has swirls covering the entire body, whereas this just has them in certain places

Haha, to be honest, the LSS is a nice-sounding amp, though the distortion probably shines best through a single coil guitar to be honest. It's got fantastic cleans though, so it forms the foundation for me, and all the effects go on top of that, haha! Somehow it still manages to keep a nice sound even through so many pedals, though if you play it just on its own, it sounds even better obviously.

Seductive....

Sensual....

Elastic....

Introducing the Howard Dumble™ Signature Corduroys. A must have for any tone connoisseur. Available in XXXXXXXXL size. Optional camel toe modification available for additional charge - please call.

I'm sure there are some kits you can buy which includes everything you can dream of, however I keep my maintenance kit quite simple:

general maintenance:

- screwdrivers both flat and star in different sizes (intonation, setup, assembly etc.)

- umbraco keys, a keyring with many sizes (setup, floyd tune, height ajust etc.)

- small hand drill, because why not (assembly etc.)

- clippers, different sizes for strings etc.

- soldering iron and tin as well as some kind of "holder" of mini stand?

- some soft place to lay the guitar while working. e.g. my bed

- a volt meter

- string winder

- a great tuner for intonation purposes

- a pair of washed hands

- brushes in different sizes

- servisol super 10 (you know why) #MA-TV

for guitar cosmetics and wood maintenance:

- lots of cloth, preferably yellow with a gibson logo

- lemon oil (gallons!)

- finish cream for nitrocellulose finishes

- metal cleaner

I got a drawer full of this stuffzz, its gr88

For guitar pots and switches, you'll need at least 40w.

I know a lot of people like soldering stations, but I find them cumbersome so I have a 14w 1.5mm tip iron for general pcb stuff and a 40w for higher power stuff.

As for maintenance, you should look at getting some nut files for setting actions.

For guitar pots and switches, you'll need at least 40w.

I know a lot of people like soldering stations, but I find them cumbersome so I have a 14w 1.5mm tip iron for general pcb stuff and a 40w for higher power stuff.

As for maintenance, you should look at getting some nut files for setting actions.

I was going to say soldering station. Cumbersome perhaps but as far as quality work... miles ahead. Granted, I used a pencil style soldering iron for a while and if auto elec's can use them daily, they aren't horrible by any means, just need more care. :happy: Switches/pots need more power to heat up the larger surface area to allow the solder to flow properly.

As for kits and that? Um, I don't know. I have a few sets of allen keys/adjustment rods for keeping truss rods adjusted. With seasonal differences here that's sometimes necessary. Other than that, also what Jaicen said. I found nut files (lel) are pretty expensive though and while it's easy to remove, it's difficult to put back so be certain filing parts of the nut (lel) is a certain option.

Are there any recommended tools/kits for generally setting up a guitar intonation/action/general keeping a guitar in a non-fucked up condition?

Here's what I use:

-combination small phillips screwdriver/gibson truss rod adjuster. Because gibson knows innovation.

-small flathead kenmore screwdriver from a sewing machine that's older than me.

-various allen wrenches with many duplicates. most of these were included with guitars, and the others are permanently borrowed.

But keep in mind that I do nothing beyond action, neck, and intonation adjustments because it's too risky. I've done some electronic work though.

So it turns out I bought a set of Dimarzio Super Distortions for my black strat about 4 years ago for £30 and didn't even know....

I was wondering why it was so damn good for Kyuss and early Queens.

#bargain

How did you find out? I've got some mystery pickup here which was said to be one of the original pickups to Homme's GP, but it definitely isn't because it doesn't actually fit. I think it's a super distortion copy anyway.

Might look into getting one. Fancy making my own cables as well as that'll save me a shit load

Are there any recommended tools/kits for generally setting up a guitar intonation/action/general keeping a guitar in a non-fucked up condition?

Get an electric screwdriver with variable torque/clutch and a set of bits.

Once i wanted to 3d print a plastic piece with a hex body and a head which fits a tuning peg so i could detune the guitar pretty fast (before putting on a new set of strings) with an electric screwdriver but someone already figured that out.

Couldn't help but think of Bs when I saw this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuO646O7fak

One day, it'll happen! :LOL:

So do you mainly use the D1 as your distortion? I thought it was a good sounding pedal, but a little limited compared to a distortion channel on an amp

Yep, D1 for the MB-1, FF7 for the custom. Both sound magnificent.

I think it depends a lot on the guitar though. Not quite as good the other way round.

If they're travelling that far with all their gear, I doubt they'd just play one show. Might be worth keeping an eye on the week around it for different places?

Yea I would think the same... but kind of odd how this is going on so far. All we know is a Toronto Radio station is doing a contest to attend this gig, but it includes air fair which means the gig obviously isn't in Toronto, but it is some other big city. You'd think they would do a contest for the local Toronto show if there was going to be one. No word of any other stations doing a contest for any small club shows either.

Yeah, interesting, I suppose they don't want to give too much away.

I could see them doing 5-6 shows across NA and then again across Europe though.

So you get $200 spending money for this contest, and total value of winning is $900 Canadian. Subtract the $200 and you are left with $700 for the two peoples expenses, Flights, Hotel for two nights (and possible face value of tickets?).

$700 between two people is $350 each, which means there is no way in hell you are flying to LA and getting a hotel for $350 a person from Toronto. Makes it sound like NYC is the closest 'big city' that I would expect it to be in.

FINGERS CROSSED