the pickups have gone microphonic in my favourite bass. They're potted in some sort of resin so re-potting isn't possible. Can anyone identify the pickups? Apparently they both say "neck" on the bottom. The pole peices look about 9mm. I can't find anything like them!

board.jpg

If they're stock, you might be able to get the details from the manufacturer. Are you thinking about upgrading them?

Also, finally finished this last night. Going to be putting it through its paces with the guy its built for at some stage over the weekend, so I might be able to get a little clip or two.

23vm715.jpg

Hmmm... I wonder would it be worth your while to check the output of them and try get something similar? I'm still dying to get my hands on a set of qtuners, but I'm not good at differentiating good or bad toans from basses. If their bass pickups sound half as good as their guitar ones, might be worth a look.

the pickups have gone microphonic in my favourite bass. They're potted in some sort of resin so re-potting isn't possible. Can anyone identify the pickups? Apparently they both say "neck" on the bottom. The pole peices look about 9mm. I can't find anything like them!

board.jpg

Is it definitely the pickups?

You could also look to see if they're actually potted all the way and not just on the bottom?

what kinda pedal is it?

Transformerless 12AU7 based preamp. Think super duper 2in1 but with tubes. Still gives 150V to the tube, but runs on a normal 9v DC power supply. Gives good clean boost, but turned up gets crunchy and vintagey.

yeh they've been to bare knuckle and back to see if they could fix them, definitely the pickups, and definitely not fixable

Just get them replicated then? They look like Musicman polepieces in Jazz housings. BKP or Creamery would probably be able to make something pretty much spot on in terms of replicas. If you were willing to allow at least one to be destroyed in the process, they would almost certainly be able to replicate them. Could probably re-use the magnets etc.

I didn't realise they could be replicated so easily. I would have thought bare knuckle would have offered, although they went through a local shop so maybe they did and the shop guy didn't ask me. Thanks for the advice, I will speak to bare knuckle when I get the pups back

out of interest would you recommend creamery? Not heard of them before

out of interest would you recommend creamery? Not heard of them before

I think jaeameaz got p90s from them before and said they were decent. He's bought everything from everyone at some stage or another.

I haven't personally bought any Creamery pickups myself just yet, but they're on the list for my next build in the autumn. I know that Bareknuckle are increasingly reluctant to do custom jobs, that's why I recommended Creamery. Your mileage may vary.

EDIT: You could certainly try. If you can get the pickups disassembled, find out the wire diameter and the DC resistance, you basically have the recipe for replicating them.

What? I didnt find the wooden pedal in the video. The one I was referring to was the one he is talking about here

11086236_10152725798190811_238614221_o.jpg?oh=040d8c6dcd58d99b4c227a05d12d26c8&oe=55280861&__gda__=1428677872_2dd99e6456815fd5409c31434ce85244

Is it the white one? He says:

"You hear it? Sounds fucking amazing" "Its just DI"

no i think those might be made by pete cornish (they sort of look like it anyway)

you can see the turkish pedal before the 7 string riff. I really don't expect it to sound anything like it - they're probably trolling the wannabes or something :ninja:

I quite like that pharaoh fuzz pedal for that sort of sound though.

Bs' amp couldn't handle the #chuggz

Put a new rectifier in. It lasted 15 minutes. :LOL:

Fortunately, I'd bought two, and the second one I put in as been fine. Must have had a bad one, but still. :chuckle:

Put a new rectifier in. It lasted 15 minutes. :LOL:

Fortunately, I'd bought two, and the second one I put in as been fine. Must have had a bad one, but still. :chuckle:

That doesn't sound right. I imagine it's something else (possibly in the same area of the amp.) How long has the current one lasted?

That doesn't sound right. I imagine it's something else (possibly in the same area of the amp.) How long has the current one lasted?

Well, I only got the two I ordered on Wednesday night, so the current one has lasted a couple of days. I know the amp goes through rectifiers pretty quickly (I'm going to email Mesa to see if anything can be done about that), but 3 in 3 years, one of which I wasn't here for, is a bit much, haha! I think that last one was just down to a bad valve though. I've put an e-mail through to the shop I got them from to see if I can get a replacement, but I suppose the problem might be that there's no proof. :erm:

Well, I only got the two I ordered on Wednesday night, so the current one has lasted a couple of days. I know the amp goes through rectifiers pretty quickly (I'm going to email Mesa to see if anything can be done about that), but 3 in 3 years, one of which I wasn't here for, is a bit much, haha! I think that last one was just down to a bad valve though. I've put an e-mail through to the shop I got them from to see if I can get a replacement, but I suppose the problem might be that there's no proof. :erm:

The sad thing is that I know what you're talking about. I order my valves from a company only a few towns away, and sometimes I have to send them back because the post throws them around and they arrive with internal damage.

Does this amp have a switch for solid state rectification? Or is it valve only? Something definitely doesn't sound right anyway... they should last at least as long as the preamp tubes (around 2 years of heavy use) but then I've never had to replace one.

Also, really out of curiosity and nothing else at all... before the swirls went on your custom, did they polish the alloy or was it like the DL-1?

I recall someone (musecasters?) saying that they had to find a really clean looking piece of aluminum for 001 or something like that, but I don't know if it was polished. It doesn't look raw where there are no swirls, so I'm guessing it was.

But on the other hand, maybe it doesn't really matter when every inch of the finish is swirled like on yours?