That's a pretty good way of describing it. I learned the whole song years ago but never played some bits of the solos correctly, but after listening to zeppelin a lot the past few days I need to play it properly.

And yeah, I tried doing that with paranoid android once. Had to change the strings and clean the entire guitar afterwards :LOL:

Same here. I mainly remember the main riff and parts of the solo.

Did you know Muse made a song with the heartbreaker riff? Or at least that's what I read on youtube... :facepalm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PIH6FVFfE4

And I know very few radiohead songs on guitar. Probably because I'd have to dispose of them afterwards

It's legit, but there's a boardie who cloned it damn well, so don't spend your money on the original.

This is the animated, voshkod and mammoth clone all together with a clean blend mixed in.

Yeah, the animated gets close enough as it is, and I'd imagine the new version will be even closer. #germanium

and that sounds good. Who built the mammoth? Technically it's not a FF clone, so you can tell me...

This is the animated, voshkod and mammoth clone all together with a clean blend mixed in.

So fuzzy :facemelt:

Same here. I mainly remember the main riff and parts of the solo.

Did you know Muse made a song with the heartbreaker riff? Or at least that's what I read on youtube... :facepalm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PIH6FVFfE4

And I know very few radiohead songs on guitar. Probably because I'd have to dispose of them afterwards

I always play random notes from a blues scale in the bits of the solo I've forgotten and it sounds shit, haha.

They should re-record who knows who with Matt singing it all in falsetto.

That's understandable considering the number of Mansons you've got. But Jonny Greenwood has a tele with bits of a kaoss pad in it, so it's close enough.

I always play random notes from a blues scale in the bits of the solo I've forgotten and it sounds shit, haha.

They should re-record who knows who with Matt singing it all in falsetto.

It's all been carefully crafted like a bottle of irn bru. You can't add anything different, otherwise it will taste like the american version.

I was going to suggest using minor pentatonic if that's easier. I'd probably find it more difficult though, but it's one less note, and you can add bends instead for more emotion

have you learned black dog? Such a brilliant riff. I only really know the first part of the solo, but I can't play it cleanly enough just yet.

And do you mean in place of the kaoss pad?

have you learned black dog? Such a brilliant riff. I only really know the first part of the solo, but I can't play it cleanly enough just yet.

And do you mean in place of the kaoss pad?

Of course. That riff is probably their best one. So much fun to play, though I'm not great at the solo either.

Nah, instead of Mike Skinner, hearing MB rapping would be pretty amusing.

Couldn't find any piano thread som I'll be posting here.

Matt has been using the Kawai MP8ii for years, and I'm curious to find out why he (considering the tech geek he is) hasn't upgraded to the MP10 or MP11.

A chap here I live is selling his MP8ii, and I'd also like to know what you guys think; should I go for it?

Possibly feel. No idea what piano samples he uses now but I imagine the MP8ii sounds still sound very comparable to the 10/11.

Honestly worth a look IMO. I own the MP4. I have always been a fan of how the Kawai feels, say over a Roland. You can adjust the pressure sensitivity anyway and the 4 band mixer on the front is fantastic. I've played an MP8 and it felt much nicer and more touch responsive than my current one.

Not sure what Korg is offering these days but give them a look too. Their tube one almost got me.

I went over to the guy and bought his MP8ii earlier today. It was just too good of a bargain to be true; 350$...

I own the 11 from before, but didn't bring it with me when I moved, so I wont get to compare them any time soon. However, the keys on the 8ii did feel different from how I remember the 11. Somewhat lighter, as the 11 is weighted more like a true grand. Maybe thats why Matt sticks to the 8ii.

However, sound wise they're night and day. Samples on the 11 are much better, and I'll probably purchase some steinway samples and either upload them to the 8ii or run them through midi.

Anyway, I'm quite satisfied with the purchase.

I went over to the guy and bought his MP8ii earlier today. It was just too good of a bargain to be true; 350$...

I own the 11 from before, but didn't bring it with me when I moved, so I wont get to compare them any time soon. However, the keys on the 8ii did feel different from how I remember the 11. Somewhat lighter, as the 11 is weighted more like a true grand. Maybe thats why Matt sticks to the 8ii.

However, sound wise they're night and day. Samples on the 11 are much better, and I'll probably purchase some steinway samples and either upload them to the 8ii or run them through midi.

Anyway, I'm quite satisfied with the purchase.

Bloody hell that seems a bargain (mind you I have no idea what they sold for as new).

Really wish I had taken up piano when I was younger. Best instrument

Bloody hell that seems a bargain (mind you I have no idea what they sold for as new).

Really wish I had taken up piano when I was younger. Best instrument

Yeah, called him up the moment I saw the ad. Also got a chair and a stand worth about 300$ included, so I guess the guy was just eager to get rid of it.

I paid about 3400$ for my MP11, so I guess the price used to lie around 2-3000$ for a new MP8ii.

Aaaand you don't need lessons. Just play for yourself and watch youtube :happy:

Yeah, called him up the moment I saw the ad. Also got a chair and a stand worth about 300$ included, so I guess the guy was just eager to get rid of it.

I paid about 3400$ for my MP11, so I guess the price used to lie around 2-3000$ for a new MP8ii.

Aaaand you don't need lessons. Just play for yourself and watch youtube :happy:

It's not so much the lessons more the ability haha.

Like, I used to be able to play Space Dementia semi decently on piano, but I couldn't really play piano? Like I could learn how to play a certain thing within reason however I wouldn't say I could play the piano as I wouldn't even be able to play some other basic shit. I'm sure if I had the time I could learn but that ain't happening at the moment

What I tend to do when I wanna do something new is learning some interesting scale and then incorporate a simple chord progression fiddling around with it finding cool stuff. An example can be the Cm scale, where I'd fool around with Cm, Fm, and G. Here you can play darkshines, hoodo, hyper music and tons of muse stuff if you add a chord or two.

Add Cm, Fm, Bb, E#, Cm, Fm, G at the end for some fun. Same progression can be used in other keys. Only thing is that its easier to play in Cm.

Holy shit, for 350?!? That's an amazing deal. I'm not surprised the 11 has much better samples. At least you have the option to add them in. Congrats :D

Thanks! Almost felt as if I scammed the guy.. The MP8ii luckily has amazing hardware, so with the right samples it'll sound beast. All I need now is to DIY a white piano shell :D

Edited by Mittle

http://www2.fender.com/experience/tech-talk/what-is-a-skunk-stripe/

It's not too bad anyway, but I'm not sure how one would repair something like this.

Aw. Maybe you can try calling the manager of the store and see if you can get a partial refund. (My first guitar was a Guitar Center used - the ad was for a $300 Epi LP Standard Plus but they only sent me an LP Standard, so I called and got a $100 check from them a couple weeks later.) So what's this new guitar? :D

I feel like I need fretwork, but I'm not entirely sure what I need. Can someone take a quick look to see how much I should expect to pay depending on the work needed? The upper frets of the 13 year old LP look like they're just flat. The guitar is pretty hard to bend. The Cort, which is only about 10 months old, isn't looking too good either though. :facepalm:

Les Paul:

4mZ6PBpl.jpg

MnUtH6Vl.jpg

Cort:

iNFovZsl.jpg

LpNOby6l.jpg

Edited by Cider

Aw. Maybe you can try calling the manager of the store and see if you can get a partial refund. (My first guitar was a Guitar Center used - the ad was for a $300 Epi LP Standard Plus but they only sent me an LP Standard, so I called and got a $100 check from them a couple weeks later.) So what's this new guitar? :D

I feel like I need fretwork, but I'm not entirely sure what I need. Can someone take a quick look to see how much I should expect to pay depending on the work needed? The upper frets of the 13 year old LP look like they're just flat. The guitar is pretty hard to bend. The Cort, which is only about 10 months old, isn't looking too good either though. :facepalm:

Les Paul:

4mZ6PBpl.jpg

MnUtH6Vl.jpg

Cort:

iNFovZsl.jpg

LpNOby6l.jpg

Nothing. Just a neck.

I can't tell with the cort, but my LP DC has the same flat fret tops. I think it's actually done that way at the factory by machine or something.

And it depends who you take it to.

Supposedly adjusting the tail piece can change the string tension, but I just set it a certain way (strings barely clearing the back of the bridge) and leave it.

Nothing. Just a neck.

I can't tell with the cort, but my LP DC has the same flat fret tops. I think it's actually done that way at the factory by machine or something.

And it depends who you take it to.

Supposedly adjusting the tail piece can change the string tension, but I just set it a certain way (strings barely clearing the back of the bridge) and leave it.

That's good to know, thank you James. How does your DC play? I think the fretboard of mine kinda shrunk too, since the fret ends hurt :facepalm:

I've never tried adjusting the tailpiece before - had no idea what it actually does. Could you show me a quick pic of what that looks like?

The Cort looks like it needs a fret dress, nothing more. Not that great though considering it's fairly new. The LP looks fine, they always had very low wide frets from day one, that's one of the reasons I don't dig them.

James, is the skunk stripe sticking up above the neck? I have that issue in an old neck I've stored for a while. Nothing a quick rub down and respray won't fix in my case, not sure what you'd do with yours given it's likely a poly finish? You could live with it, but i'd return it as you never know what caused it. At least I know it wasn't caused by the truss rod being over-tightened.

Is this neck destined for the Bru-Caster?

James, is the skunk stripe sticking up above the neck? I have that issue in an old neck I've stored for a while. Nothing a quick rub down and respray won't fix in my case, not sure what you'd do with yours given it's likely a poly finish? You could live with it, but i'd return it as you never know what caused it. At least I know it wasn't caused by the truss rod being over-tightened.

Is this neck destined for the Bru-Caster?

Yeah, but just barely. It's actually a satin finish (older U.S. standard neck) but would I have to refinish the entire neck?

I don't want to return it since it included a body (which I might or might not have been aware of) and was priced right. And I imagine you mean because the truss rod puts pressure against the fretboard side, rather than the back of the neck?

It's one of those two way truss rods (bi flex or whatever they call them), but I checked and it was tightened in the direction for less relief, and needed to go further in that direction.

That's good to know, thank you James. How does your DC play? I think the fretboard of mine kinda shrunk too, since the fret ends hurt :facepalm:

I've never tried adjusting the tailpiece before - had no idea what it actually does. Could you show me a quick pic of what that looks like?

Plays nicely I guess. And yeah I'll take one later, but I understand that you generally want to raise the tailpiece just enough so that the strings clear the back of the bridge and are not resting on the edge.

edit:

a bit like this

Sep13_PG_CLM_GuitarShop101_image5.jpg

Edited by james90