I see. I respect that. Is there a reason for wanting it directly from Fender as opposed to Warmoth like the IRN Strat though? Did you not like the Warmoth stuff? :$

I was looking at Status' website and I saw these. Probably Chris' Glastonbury Globalist guitar right?

p-90_nat.jpg

git_back_2.jpg

I thought he had this one longer than just for Glasto though?

Is that one carbon fibre too?

Not sure actually. It's definitely a different guitar anyway.

Also

http://stores.ebay.com/rekordsrekordstreasurechest

I think I need to get a bid (or several) in. Sure, it's not their main touring/recording gear, but still... the amount of man points™ you'd gain by owning one of those.

...Mine would almost be back up to zero, after becoming boring_mod MK II and inheriting the negative number Niel gave me.

Got impatient and went for the standard replacement neck. Not sure if this is the actual one though.

6M6cqdJ.jpg

Should mount properly without modification, but will need the string tree installed and the nut cut properly.

I'll leave that to the professionals, after what happened the last time I tried to install a string tree....

still a bit of a shame that it's the incorrect spec, but at least it's not broken.

What do K&T people think of the DSL40C?

It's a brilliant amp for modern rock, and for the price it's outstanding. I've been gigging one for six months or so, it's rock solid but weighs a ton.

There are some drawbacks though:

Channel switching is limited. Each channel has two modes, but changing modes means you have to tweak the vol and treble.

The red channel is insanely bright. Switching between crunch and gain can be jarring because of the different voicing. Works great for clean though, the clean channel is outstanding.

It's not great for classic rock, but it does Hullaballooz and that works for me.

I did put mine up for sale, but I'm keeping it as have resolved my cash flow issues.

It's a brilliant amp for modern rock, and for the price it's outstanding. I've been gigging one for six months or so, it's rock solid but weighs a ton.

Channel switching is limited. Each channel has two modes, but changing modes means you have to tweak the vol and treble.

The red channel is insanely bright. Switching between crunch and gain can be jarring because of the different voicing. Works great for clean though, the clean channel is outstanding.

It's not great for classic rock, but it does Hullaballooz and that works for me.

I did put mine up for sale, but I'm keeping it as have resolved my cash flow issues.

No univibe #ForSale then?

And is it really that bright? If it's anything like the DSL 100 I had, it's sort of bright, but not in a harsh way. I think that amp sounded better than most though. Probably because of the orange tolex.

I've downgraded to a JCM 900 though. Only one channel, but it sounds quite a bit better than the DSL did on its best days.

Also, can you explain this? Quote of the day from TGP

I notice some builders use longer leads on components (not sure if that is the correct term or not). Does the aggregate length of those longer leads cause any difference in the responsiveness of the amp? Or is it simply a builder preference? In other words, do the longer leads on the resistors, caps, and such introduce a degree of sag into the amp?

Anyone know how the Status guitars play? I kinda want a red carbon fibre one.

No idea, but in case you missed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2tp5HRj6PQ

Lol, that TGP is classic. Its more to do with not using wire to connect stuff saving time and money whilst adding point to point mojo.

Univibe may be #forsale looks like my issue isn't resolved after all. Will pm you later.

I said the DSL is bright, and it is in contrast to older Marshalls. I guess it's not overly bright, just a modern brightness that doesn't suit classic rock that well, even on the green channel.

It seems more usable for what I want than an AC30, as much as I love those amps. Hullabaloo tone sounds ideal. Is it too loud for playing at home, even with the half power option?

I'd probably only use one channel most of the time and use pedals for gain (that's what MB used to do I think :nerd:) so the difference between the two wouldn't be much of an issue.

Now for my car to pass its MOT so I don't blow my amp money on fixing it :LOL:

It seems more usable for what I want than an AC30, as much as I love those amps. Hullabaloo tone sounds ideal. Is it too loud for playing at home, even with the half power option?

I'd probably only use one channel most of the time and use pedals for gain (that's what MB used to do I think :nerd:) so the difference between the two wouldn't be much of an issue.

Yeah, I've spent £1000 on my car this month :(

It doesn't sound the same at stage volume as it does at home. At low volume, that exacerbates the treble issue. When you crank it up, things get smoother and deeper. It definitely sounds best at full power and at least halfway on the masters, but that is very loud and not usable in many situations. In a choice between the AC30 and the DSL, the DSL is a no brainer, especially for home use. You can't use an AC30 at home, no matter what you're told. Those things are monstrous.

Not sure if I'd go for a DSL in that case - you'd probably be better off with a single channel amp if you use pedals exclusively for drive sounds

there's always the option to use your preferred overdrive/distortion pedal into the green (clean/crunch) channel, and the red (high gain) channel for more MB

It doesn't sound the same at stage volume as it does at home. At low volume, that exacerbates the treble issue. When you crank it up, things get smoother and deeper. It definitely sounds best at full power and at least halfway on the masters, but that is very loud and not usable in many situations. In a choice between the AC30 and the DSL, the DSL is a no brainer, especially for home use. You can't use an AC30 at home, no matter what you're told. Those things are monstrous.

Maybe mine was #special then. It wasn't what I'd call harsh, but... you know those guys on TGP that say amps have "icepick" highs, when it's the sort of highs that are needed to cut through, and they aren't really harsh at all?

yeah that

and Jsenn pls. They do sound better at high volumes, but I find my AC30 completely manageable. That said.... it's one of the new ones, and I probably have a warped view of what's manageable

Do you use yours set to 20W for playing at home?

I thought the 15W version might be better, but it doesn't have the effects loop and it's got less headroom, so the 40W would probably be more useful for when/if I start playing gigs again.

Not sure if I'd go for a DSL in that case - you'd probably be better off with a single channel amp if you use pedals exclusively for drive sounds

there's always the option to use your preferred overdrive/distortion pedal into the green (clean/crunch) channel, and the red (high gain) channel for more MB

I'd probably use both channels a bit actually, I use pedals for drive just now cause my solid state Vox doesn't give much gain for chuggz, but the Marshall's gain sounds great. I take it MB used/uses the red channel mostly, so it sounds like 2001 new born riffage?

I do usually set it to "half power", but that doesn't drop the level that much.

I actually use the dsl15c at home more. They're very similar, but you're right, the 15 doesn't have enough headroom, that's exactly why I got the 40c. I really like the 6v6 output tubes they just can't compete with my drummer. Perfect for home use though. My 15c is still for sale by the way ;) I really should get my Arden in gear and advertise it.

I take it MB used/uses the red channel mostly, so it sounds like 2001 new born riffage?

Yeah red channel, but before that he used the crunch mode on the green channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhWObSpGrWo

Pretty sure it stays on green throughout this gig. He switches channels on the soldano though, because there are just so many tones to choose from on that amp. :nerd:

Also, won the bid for the 4x10 solid state with added QOTSA mojos. Didn't really increase that much - I don't think anyone else wanted to bid, since they probably don't know what it is either.

Yeah red channel, but before that he used the crunch mode on the green channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhWObSpGrWo

Pretty sure it stays on green throughout this gig. He switches channels on the soldano though, because there are just so many tones to choose from on that amp. :nerd:

Also, won the bid for the 4x10 solid state with added QOTSA mojos. Didn't really increase that much - I don't think anyone else wanted to bid, since they probably don't know what it is either.

Nice gig though! Old screenager was fun to hear

No idea, but in case you missed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2tp5HRj6PQ

Yeah that's from the gig I was at in 2013 I'm pretty sure :LOL:

're: AC30, I'm talking about normal bedroom levels for those of us that are cursed with geriatric neighbours who bang on the walls when the amp hits 4 on the master on my DSL. And top boost is cheating. So there.

I can vouch for this

At least you won't have this problem with it

ccWL63u.jpg

edit: think I stole a meme you made there :LOL: